Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newest update completely bricked AP/FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently updated o 2023.27.12 FSD 11.8.4.1 and it seemed to brick the AP/FSD. After updating the center display stopped showing FSD details, street lines, but would still show cars. AP would not engage on highway (temporarily unavailable). I rebooted the car a couple of times and let it sit overnight but still had the same the next day. After another day without change I decided to try to recalibrate the cameras. After 30 miles of driving the calibration was stuck at 0%. II tried resetting the DAS in the service menu as well as reinstalling the firmware and cameras still won’t calibrate.

Anybody else having this issue? Trying to decide if it’s worth it to make a service appointment or just wait until the holiday update to see if it fixes it.

I recently updated o 2023.27.12 FSD 11.8.4.1 and it seemed to brick the AP/FSD. After updating the center display stopped showing FSD details, street lines, but would still show cars. AP would not engage on highway (temporarily unavailable). I rebooted the car a couple of times and let it sit overnight but still had the same the next day. After another day without change I decided to try to recalibrate the cameras. After 30 miles of driving the calibration was stuck at 0%. II tried resetting the DAS in the service menu as well as reinstalling the firmware and cameras still won’t calibrate.

Anybody else having this issue? Trying to decide if it’s worth it to make a service appointment or just wait until the holiday update to see if it fixes it.

In the past, I booked an appointment. The Service Center would call, fix it over the air by pushing the firmware, and cancel the appointment.

Yup-same with me. I downloaded the 2023.38.9 update to model s, now all fsd, cruise, blind spot, all parking chimes non functional. Service appt on wed. I’m hoping it was an incomplete download and they can just redo it at service center.

I have exactly this issue - showed up the morning after the update. I contacted service, and they tried to reinstall the update remotely (they asked that my USB stick be removed, which I did). The update did not work.

They checked with engineering, and they said I need to come in to have the (unspecified) problem fixed. I have a service appointment tomorrow morning, but the estimate in the service app is $2719. As my Model 3 was purchased in Sept of 2018, it's out of warranty for this. I hope that I'm not going to have to pay almost $3K for a problem that Tesla created with their update, or at least have the option to restore my system to the previous version and never update the software again.

I'll update here tomorrow with the results.

Reactions: KArnold and Dayreg
I'll update here tomorrow with the results.

So, I took it in today. They wanted to replace the whole computer (for $2179, not $2719), but given that my computer was working perfectly fine prior to the update, I'm somewhat skeptical that the hardware is suddenly "broken". The way I see it, there are one of three problems:

1. The latest SW update has a compatibility problem with the hardware in my car - some component that I have that they didn't account for in their testing matrix. This is not the first time something like this has happened. When I got delivery in 2018, I had two times where software updates failed to install and I had to bring it in where they went through a bunch of manual steps to finally allow my car to take an update. If this is the case, I do NOT want to pay to have my computer swapped for something that is a failure on Tesla's part.

2. It's possible there is a failure in my hardware that only shows up during updates. For example, most firmware updates (and it was a firmware update that has failed) that I know of work by loading the new version of the firmware into a bank of memory while the old version is still active; the new firmware is tested in place (usually just a checksum or sha hash) and if it passes, the banks are swapped, and the bank that held the old firmware will now be where the next update lands. So I could have a bad bank of memory or something similar that only becomes an issue during updates.

3. I have some hardware that was broken in a way that wasn't a problem for the previous version of the system software but now shows up as a problem with the new software.

I'm willing to pay for a computer swap for cases 2 & 3, but not 1. After talking with their service people, we're going to see if they can image my current system with the previous version of the software using a direction connection instead of OTA. If they that, and it works, I'll pass on this version of the system software and wait for the next. If that fails, I guess I have to decide if it's worth it to pay to have a piece of hardware replaced that Tesla is obviously no longer supporting.

I'll know some time next week when I bring it in for for the re-imaging.

I'll know some time next week when I bring it in for for the re-imaging.

So, here are the errors showing up on my service menu (APS_w160_apbVersionMismatch):

PXL_20231213_210626141.MP.jpg

I'm assuming the APS & APB are redundant systems for the autopilot, and that one of them has failed to get its firmware updated. Based on my previous post, this feels a lot more like case 2 than case 1 (with maybe a smidge of case 3 thrown in), Hopefully Tesla didn't do something crazy like make their redundant subsystems have different versions of processors or something. So I'm guessing that if the squirting of the older system version to my car doesn't work, I'm going to be paying for a new system computer.

Reactions: FeeYe
Interesting. Mine wasn't throwing any errors. It initially wasn't seeing street lines or all cars around it, then after I reset the calibration, it just wouldn't calibrate. I just had my MCU replaced a couple months back as I had 2 car amplifiers suddenly die on me. My lease is up in 9 months so hopefully this is the last electrical gremlin.

Having the same issue here. Rear view camera works sporadically and Autopilot/FSD doesn't turn on.

I reset the calibration once and it worked correctly for a day but the following day, it stopped working again. Resetting calibration a second time didn't fix it either.

Software version: 2023.27.12.
My error states, "VCFRONT_a135 coolantLevelLow."
(Not sure if this is coolant for the FSD computer.)

Last edited:

Same with me. ‘change tire size’ reset fixed it for a day, now it is back to no cc/ad/ap. StrangeLy, it randomly worked for a single drive last night home from movie theater. Have a (I am sure useless) serv appt Tue.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg
Hello all,

Just registered to put myself in the same club. Just received the same update 2023.27.12 and immediately lost all autopilot, sentry, cruise control, auto wipers etc. The firmware/software update initially failed, and trying to request service the app told me to power the car down and also reinstall the package. So I proceeded to do both of those with no success. After this I was able to schedule service. I am however out of warranty and not willing to pay for something tesla clearly broke as everything worked the day before the update.

I am currently sitting and waiting for my car to be locked at but don't have high hopes.

Attachments

• 20231219_075626.jpg
    20231219_075626.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 57
Per my service notes, my autopilot turbos were in critical state. I have no idea what those are. They then found a memory issue in the car computer, which I think was the AP computer and replaced it. The invoice was for replacement of HW4 LHD computer. Everything working great now. Interestingly a few months ago I had the factory amp die twice in a short period. With this replace they replaced the MCU. After this it took weeks of driving for the FSD calibration to complete (was stuck at 99%), so I wonder if this was part of it as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg