Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“More Valuable” Stealth Performance Model 3 Unicorn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, due to the change in available Model 3 options, the base Performance version without the bigger wheels, bigger brakes, suspension change, spoiler and pedals can no longer be ordered. This arguably makes it a rare unicorn of sorts.

In UK they are upgrading some LR AWD orders to 'stealth' Performance for free just to get the delivery in earlier (Q3?). Different car not just software.

Last edited:
Ron....can you tell me what the 8th digit of your VIN # is? Is it a 4 or a B? Just curious.

This is not useful for distinguishing performance vehicles for the Model 3 line AFAIK.

You should get your camera above and behind rear left tire and take a picture of your motor. If it is a 990 then you have AWD and the wrong badge.

If it is 980 you either got the wrong thing (P3D-) or you actually paid for it inadvertently- check your MVPA.

• Informative
Reactions: Shemp and SanmanM3
Not that it matters unless you live near the Autobahn, but where did this 140mph top speed misinformation originate?

Is the speed limiter set to 140 only on the sleeper p3? Is it because of non-performance tires?

Not tires, because the least sporting (non-winter) tires on M3 are still W Speed rated to 149mph.

Current Norway inventory has Performance cars shod with 18", 19", and 20" wheels.

20" is the full-on performance package with brakes, suspension, spoiler, etc. It has speed limiter raised to 260kph/161mph

The other 2 have limiter same as LR which is 233kph/142mph or some change.

It's just in software and market-based differentiation, rather than capability, IMO

In terms of tyres, my P3- (without the performance upgrade pack) has Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres (not the Pilot Sport 4S which comes with the Performance Upgrade pack). This may be only a UK thing, but my Pilot Sport 4 tyres on 18" aero wheels are rated 98Y, which means good for up to 186mph.

• Helpful
Reactions: mal_tsla
This is not useful for distinguishing performance vehicles for the Model 3 line AFAIK.

You should get your camera above and behind rear left tire and take a picture of your motor. If it is a 990 then you have AWD and the wrong badge.

If it is 980 you either got the wrong thing (P3D-) or you actually paid for it inadvertently- check your MVPA.[/QUOTE
Looks like I have a 980

Screenshot_2019-09-23-10-40-15.png

And my build date is....7/19

So it looks like you have a P3D-. What does your MVPA say, just to be sure?

I suppose you could try to ask for a software upgrade even if you did not pay for Performance. But really all you are entitled to is a badge without the red underline. And this motor make it possible for you to be upgraded to higher power output in different ways than a normal 2019 AWD in the future (but no one knows).

I got one of these sleeper models. What a bargain! I put 265/40/18s Michellen PS4S on the OEM wheels and took the aero caps off and now it looks mean. It was funny how the sales staff told me it wouldn't have track mode, and then it did - not that I'll ever use it.

So it looks like you have a P3D-. What does your MVPA say, just to be sure?

I suppose you could try to ask for a software upgrade even if you did not pay for Performance. But really all you are entitled to is a badge without the red underline. And this motor make it possible for you to be upgraded to higher power output in different ways than a normal 2019 AWD in the future (but no one knows).
Tesla salesperson told me that the car was originally a Performance model...and they would "modify" it for me to LR DM.