Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Power Reduced” warning and Turtle icon

Piblokto

Oct 17, 2019
Cincinnati
My car is a Sep 2019 Model 3 LR AWD with ~ 22k miles. Trouble-free til now, with only a punctured tire that needed patching.

I’ve now experienced two more serious problems, possibly related, the second of which has rendered the car undriveable. Sharing in case helpful to others + will try to post follow-up + resolution.

About a month ago I began driving, noticed my car was sluggish, and saw that it was in Chill mode. I never use that mode, and more concerning the option button to shift to normal mode was grayed out. A soft-reboot on the go didn’t fix the problem, but fortunately was very close to my local SC, and even more luckily both the lead Tech and a Service Manager immediately looked at my car on a drive-by basis. The Tech first thought I had inadvertently switched into either Valet or Speed Limit mode in the app, and indeed my app showed the latter mode toggled on. When I tried to toggle it off, it asked for my Tesla PIN. I had no idea what that was, having never set one, needed one, or heard about before. They were both a bit mystified, couldn’t fix the problem immediately, and set up a service appointment. Googling at home later that day (still in Chill mode) I found another owner who was able to skip the use of the PIN by logging in on the Service menu (in the car, not app) using Tesla credentials (e-mail + password). That enabled me to switch out of Speed Limit mode. Thinking it was a one-off, I cancelled the service appointment, but first texted the SC the way I resolved it. They thanked me for that. A few days later, the problem repeated, but I fixed it a second time (in same manner) and hadn’t seen it again.

Yesterday the more serious problem started. At start got the warning “Power Reduced - Exiting and re-entering vehicle may restore operation”. Has a yellow icon of a turtle. I put car in park, got out and back in, and problem appeared to be gone. I again assumed it was a one-off gremlin. But today the problem repeated multiple times, while I was away from home. The car moved, but had very little power - e.g., couldn’t make it up a hill and just came to a halt. After backing down the hill, I called roadside assistance, and asked for a tow or other help. I was told to power off the car in the Service menu, wait 2 minutes, and then power up by tapping the brake. Problem appeared to resolve, but they also advised to set up SC appointment to get it checked. The problem repeated an hour later, and this time did not resolve until the third power off attempt (Roadside Assistance was arranging for a tow when that happened). I was able to drive home, but tonight the problem has recurred and does not respond to the suggested fix (at least not in 5 attempts). So the car is effectively bricked (it can still creep very slowly), and I will get it towed to SC tomorrow.

Booked a SC appointment on app, but earliest was 2 weeks out, ouch. Googling suggest similar problems in 3s and Ys have been fixed by replacement of either a wiring harness or the rear motor.

Attachments

• A74EF857-4E22-4C9B-ACB6-03426DC5A936.jpeg
    A74EF857-4E22-4C9B-ACB6-03426DC5A936.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Piblokto

Oct 17, 2019
Cincinnati
Follow up - car was towed to SC early this morning after another call to Roadside Assistance. Other than flatbed arriving 45 min after ETA, that went fine, car had enough power to creep up to flatbed ramp, but couldn’t go further and had to be winched up from there. I drove my other car to SC, and things got better from there. First, they told me that Roadside Assistance tow-ins get prioritized, and that I’d get a loaner if my repair took more than a few days. And to top things off, late today I was notified via the app that repair was complete. The SC was closed so I couldn’t talk the problem with a tech (I picked up keycard and car from the Sales folks in the still-open showroom), but the repair invoice states: “Diagnosed and found a soft set connector for the accelerator pedal. Installed connector all the way and verified fault is no longer there.” Still trying to figure out what that means.

• Informative
Reactions: 5150 and jjrandorin

Frank99

April 2018 Model 3 LR RWD, EAP, FSD
Apr 7, 2016
Arizona
“Soft set connector” appears to mean that the tech found a connector that wasn’t fully mated - the two halves were stuck together, but not to the “click”, so there may have been an intermittent connection.
It’ll be interesting if this ends up being the problem.

deninphx71

Jun 26, 2021
Phoenix
“Soft set connector” appears to mean that the tech found a connector that wasn’t fully mated - the two halves were stuck together, but not to the “click”, so there may have been an intermittent connection.
It’ll be interesting if this ends up being the problem.
So what was the problem??
Because, today I was driving along and got the warning Power Reduced - Exiting and re-entering vehicle may restore operation and then the other yellow icon of a turtle. I put car in park, got out and back in. The same thing.
I'm in Phoenix. The service center app says no appts til July 16 etc.

Clivew

Nov 19, 2019
Bedford, UK
So what was the problem??
Because, today I was driving along and got the warning Power Reduced - Exiting and re-entering vehicle may restore operation and then the other yellow icon of a turtle. I put car in park, got out and back in. The same thing.
I'm in Phoenix. The service center app says no appts til July 16 etc.
The electrical connector for the accel pedal wasn’t fully ‘plugged in’

TomT

Technical Maven
Mar 24, 2014
NE Georgia
There are two sensors on the accelerator and the values have to agree or an error is set. If there was a loose connector, that could cause a fault sense.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC