Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Power Reduced” warning and Turtle icon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is a Sep 2019 Model 3 LR AWD with ~ 22k miles. Trouble-free til now, with only a punctured tire that needed patching.

I’ve now experienced two more serious problems, possibly related, the second of which has rendered the car undriveable. Sharing in case helpful to others + will try to post follow-up + resolution.

About a month ago I began driving, noticed my car was sluggish, and saw that it was in Chill mode. I never use that mode, and more concerning the option button to shift to normal mode was grayed out. A soft-reboot on the go didn’t fix the problem, but fortunately was very close to my local SC, and even more luckily both the lead Tech and a Service Manager immediately looked at my car on a drive-by basis. The Tech first thought I had inadvertently switched into either Valet or Speed Limit mode in the app, and indeed my app showed the latter mode toggled on. When I tried to toggle it off, it asked for my Tesla PIN. I had no idea what that was, having never set one, needed one, or heard about before. They were both a bit mystified, couldn’t fix the problem immediately, and set up a service appointment. Googling at home later that day (still in Chill mode) I found another owner who was able to skip the use of the PIN by logging in on the Service menu (in the car, not app) using Tesla credentials (e-mail + password). That enabled me to switch out of Speed Limit mode. Thinking it was a one-off, I cancelled the service appointment, but first texted the SC the way I resolved it. They thanked me for that. A few days later, the problem repeated, but I fixed it a second time (in same manner) and hadn’t seen it again.

Yesterday the more serious problem started. At start got the warning “Power Reduced - Exiting and re-entering vehicle may restore operation”. Has a yellow icon of a turtle. I put car in park, got out and back in, and problem appeared to be gone. I again assumed it was a one-off gremlin. But today the problem repeated multiple times, while I was away from home. The car moved, but had very little power - e.g., couldn’t make it up a hill and just came to a halt. After backing down the hill, I called roadside assistance, and asked for a tow or other help. I was told to power off the car in the Service menu, wait 2 minutes, and then power up by tapping the brake. Problem appeared to resolve, but they also advised to set up SC appointment to get it checked. The problem repeated an hour later, and this time did not resolve until the third power off attempt (Roadside Assistance was arranging for a tow when that happened). I was able to drive home, but tonight the problem has recurred and does not respond to the suggested fix (at least not in 5 attempts). So the car is effectively bricked (it can still creep very slowly), and I will get it towed to SC tomorrow.

Booked a SC appointment on app, but earliest was 2 weeks out, ouch. Googling suggest similar problems in 3s and Ys have been fixed by replacement of either a wiring harness or the rear motor.

Attachments

• A74EF857-4E22-4C9B-ACB6-03426DC5A936.jpeg
    A74EF857-4E22-4C9B-ACB6-03426DC5A936.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 3,236
Last edited:
Follow up - car was towed to SC early this morning after another call to Roadside Assistance. Other than flatbed arriving 45 min after ETA, that went fine, car had enough power to creep up to flatbed ramp, but couldn’t go further and had to be winched up from there. I drove my other car to SC, and things got better from there. First, they told me that Roadside Assistance tow-ins get prioritized, and that I’d get a loaner if my repair took more than a few days. And to top things off, late today I was notified via the app that repair was complete. The SC was closed so I couldn’t talk the problem with a tech (I picked up keycard and car from the Sales folks in the still-open showroom), but the repair invoice states: “Diagnosed and found a soft set connector for the accelerator pedal. Installed connector all the way and verified fault is no longer there.” Still trying to figure out what that means.

• Informative
Reactions: 5150 and jjrandorin
“Soft set connector” appears to mean that the tech found a connector that wasn’t fully mated - the two halves were stuck together, but not to the “click”, so there may have been an intermittent connection.
It’ll be interesting if this ends up being the problem.

Reactions: Lindenwood
“Soft set connector” appears to mean that the tech found a connector that wasn’t fully mated - the two halves were stuck together, but not to the “click”, so there may have been an intermittent connection.
It’ll be interesting if this ends up being the problem.
So what was the problem??
Because, today I was driving along and got the warning Power Reduced - Exiting and re-entering vehicle may restore operation and then the other yellow icon of a turtle. I put car in park, got out and back in. The same thing.
I'm in Phoenix. The service center app says no appts til July 16 etc.

So what was the problem??
Because, today I was driving along and got the warning Power Reduced - Exiting and re-entering vehicle may restore operation and then the other yellow icon of a turtle. I put car in park, got out and back in. The same thing.
I'm in Phoenix. The service center app says no appts til July 16 etc.
The electrical connector for the accel pedal wasn’t fully ‘plugged in’

I recently experienced the reduced power mode during a road trip multiple times. Each time it seemed to come on when the car was preconditioning for a supercharger. I was very pissed off when this happened as it reduced my max speed to 55 mph when on a 70 mph highway. I didn't allow it to precondition on the way home and the issue didn't come up again.

This was NOT cool and am frustrated that it happened to begin with.

Reactions: Tedkidd
I recently experienced the reduced power mode during a road trip multiple times. Each time it seemed to come on when the car was preconditioning for a supercharger. I was very pissed off when this happened as it reduced my max speed to 55 mph when on a 70 mph highway. I didn't allow it to precondition on the way home and the issue didn't come up again.

This was NOT cool and am frustrated that it happened to begin with.
Did it ever re-occur?

Did it ever re-occur?
Different commenter here but similar issues in case useful. I had this with my "first 1000 VIN" Performance Model Y a few weeks ago and again today. The first time I was on my way to a supercharger and preconditioning started more than an hour out even though it as a 50 degree F day. I decided that was the cause and changed navigation to to to the city with the supercharger, and then adjusted to navigate to supercharge to kick off preconditioning about 15 minutes out. Seemed to resolve it. But, today I had it with no supercharger involved. The only thing odd about today is it's very cold (a little below zero F, and even lower with wind chill warnings issued for the area).

Different commenter here but similar issues in case useful. I had this with my "first 1000 VIN" Performance Model Y a few weeks ago and again today. The first time I was on my way to a supercharger and preconditioning started more than an hour out even though it as a 50 degree F day. I decided that was the cause and changed navigation to to to the city with the supercharger, and then adjusted to navigate to supercharge to kick off preconditioning about 15 minutes out. Seemed to resolve it. But, today I had it with no supercharger involved. The only thing odd about today is it's very cold (a little below zero F, and even lower with wind chill warnings issued for the area).
Just found this thread by googling what happened today to me: also cold, 0-10 degrees and preconditioning to the charger, I notice my MY is making a growling noise as I reduce speed into the parking lot to charge. Post supercharging, I get the turtle error with reduced speed of 60 max. Since then I made it to my destination and after a few hours, I drove again and the turtle error resolved. Makes me not trust my car on any longer distance trips.

I’m Marco from Italy, on my M3 i have "turtle mode" every time i do an update… the peculiar thing is that the tortoise appears only when the car warms up the battery to go to a SUC. if I renoverò The SUC from navigator and I get out and get back in the car the turtle disappears and everything works normally.
I am sure that the problem occurs only when the battery heating is active.

I have experienced this problem today on my brand new model Y: "Power Reduced" warning with turtle sign. Was on the highway and could not go above 60mph (100km/h) anymore. Parking, stepping outside and going back in didn't help. Called Tesla, they asked to reset both the screen (using the scroll wheels) and the car (turn off, wait two minutes, then press the brake pedal) and the notification went away. They said they had the data and would investigate further. They called back informing me that the problem isn't properly solved and may come back so more investigation would be necessary. Finally they called back saying they are going to replace the car's computer. To be continued...

Im currently dealing with the same issue. Dropped my car off at the SC because my air condition was blowing hot air and shaking the car while stopped. Took about a week of sitting at the SC before they even looked at it and fixed the issue. They called me to come pick up my car and while I’m halfway home on a major highway my car starts dramatically slowing down and I get the turtle icon saying “power reduced - speed limited to 55mph.” I call them and after a half hour I’m told I just have to drive it back to the SC as carefully as possible. When I initially dropped it off that night they told me “sometimes these things happen if the car is sitting in service mode for too long and we then have to replace parts”. They have not been able to give me an update the last two days because they’re still trying to determine what/why this is happening. To be continued….

This has happened to me multiple times on my Model 3 Performance. It happened two times when I was in track mode, indicating that I needed to pull over because the car was shutting down and that not all features could be supported. It fixed itself as soon as I plugged it into my home charger. It happened today as well as I was coming back from a +3 hour drive and yet again as I got close to my house, I accelerated hard and I got the "power reduced" message as well as a dimmed screen and the turtle icon.

Does anyone have a guess of what it might be? I was between 20% and 40% on all 3-4 occasions that this has happened.

This has happened to me multiple times on my Model 3 Performance. It happened two times when I was in track mode, indicating that I needed to pull over because the car was shutting down and that not all features could be supported. It fixed itself as soon as I plugged it into my home charger. It happened today as well as I was coming back from a +3 hour drive and yet again as I got close to my house, I accelerated hard and I got the "power reduced" message as well as a dimmed screen and the turtle icon.

Does anyone have a guess of what it might be? I was between 20% and 40% on all 3-4 occasions that this has happened.
I just got my car back from the service center on this issue. They told me that for my particular situation it was low coolant causing air bubbles to form in the lines from when they had to replace my air condenser and air compressor earlier that day. For me they simply had to refill my coolant

I just got my car back from the service center on this issue. They told me that for my particular situation it was low coolant causing air bubbles to form in the lines from when they had to replace my air condenser and air compressor earlier that day. For me they simply had to refill my coolant
Interesting, do you or anyone happen to know you can check your coolant levels on your own? Otherwise, I might have to make that SC appointment.

Interesting, do you or anyone happen to know you can check your coolant levels on your own? Otherwise, I might have to make that SC appointment.
It seems like you can but don’t recommend it. I’d make a service appointment just to be safe

Reactions: santua
Happened to our new 2 weeks old Model Y, less than 250 miles total, car suddenly stopped in the road, flashing three warning signs "Acceleration Emergency braked disabled", "Power reduced", "Acceleration and top speed reduced", did all the tricks, restart from steering wheel, go out and in, no help. Battery was showing 52% remaining. At the moment Tesla towed the car to their service station, very frustrating experience. Waiting what they will say tomorrow.

I am facing a similar issue "Power reduced" and the Turtle icon. When I reached out to Tesla Service, they are quoting $462. Wondering if this is similar to what others see in terms of charges for out of warranty. I have asked them to share more details.