Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Service changes” - no car wash, Lyft, loaner policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m bringing in my Model S today for service & just got the following text. Little by little, the service experience is getting chipped away to the bare bones.......

Of course this may be specific to my location (Palm Springs, CA) but I thought I’d share:

In anticipation for your upcoming service appointment today, we wanted to share some recent changes with you.

As we continue to shift toward an environmentally sustainable process, we will no longer be providing courtesy car washes. However, we will still vacuum and clean windows at the end of your service.

Additionally, alternate transportation will be provided in the form of a Lyft Ride Pass (Lyft credits) or a rental vehicle, if available. If a rental vehicle is provided to you, we ask that you make arrangements to pick up your completed vehicle within 24 hours of notification.

Thank you,
Tesla Service Palm Springs

Does not sound like bare bones to me, but understand that washing every car, in the desert area, could be an issue with wasting water.

Lots of people have posted that they do not want their cars washed by the service centers and they have very specific personal washing proceedures they they use to preserve the car's finish.

Hard to make everybody happy.

I'm pretty particular too with my car washing technique - 2 buckets, etc...... what bothers me more is, suppose you're expecting a loaner and you find out you're getting a Lyft home? Do they even give you a Lyft credit to get back when it's done? I'm not a retiree; suppose I am counting on getting a loaner to go to work, then home, then back to work the next day etc? (I've only had same-day service 1 out of the 7 times I've brought my car in).

My car was at the SC for over two weeks recently for the 4-year service. They washed it but left multiple major swirl marks/scratches, including one rather deep and long scratch on the passenger side panel. Looked like they used a dirty towel for the entire wash. This was the second time my car paint was noticeably damaged going through the SC washes. It was very disappointing when they refused to address my complaint.

I have gotten loaner cars when I didn't need them. But the one time where I did need it, I was grateful to have it.

The car wash isn't really that important to me - service must be good, and I prefer no fatty fingerprints all over the car. In general, I try not to leave a dirty car at service, so the technician knows that I care about it.

Just surprisingly had the complete opposite experience here in the Pacific NW!

We needed some minor warranty attention to our new AWD M3 and also had an outstanding airbag recall for our 2014 P85. Received text that our service qualified for a mobile mechanic to......come.....to......our......house........to do the repairs!! (insert happy dance here!). This saved us 2 hours (and about $30+ x2 cars) roundtrip on the ferry plus having to hang out in SoDo Seattle for an entire day. The mechanic came to our home (YES!) and could not have been nicer, more professional, or patient while I peppered him with questions on our M3.

We've owned our P85 for several years, and this was a first!

Feeling pampered once again.......:cool:

2 year service a few weeks ago. Surprised to be offered a 24 hr $100 Lyft ticket. That feels more than adequate in my situation. But I was hoping for a loaner like last year. When they had to keep it overnight, they added another $100 and 24 hrs. They also offered a rental instead, but I declined. I am 7 miles from the service center and I always take my bike with me to ride home (retired, California, Model S has plenty of room for the bike). So I ended up using none of the Lyft. I took it cause it threatened to rain. Typically, it never rains in California but when it does, it pours.

When I said it would be nice to get to try an M3 for the day they said a sales person could arrange a test drive. No thanks. I was just hoping to see what a day in an M3 would be like absent the sales pitch.

I asked for acar wash, and they happily complied, but then test drove the car right after a rain (I got it the following day when it was dry)... so I guess I got swirls and noted the car was dirty. When I muttered something about the odd choice of sequence of course they offered to wash it again. I said no thanks to an hour wait and more swirls.

First world problems guys/ladies. The service and communication part was effective and efficient. Happy camper here.

By the way, can you fit a men’s road bicycle in an M3? I am not poking the bear, just asking.

Those of us who have 2012 - 2014 purchase dates were absolutely spoiled by the service experience. Replacement cars towed to us, loaners that were the best car in the fleet fully loaded, treated like we were special at every service ... slowly it's been getting less Jaguar service and more Kia. It may be the natural response to serving more then 4000 cars nationwide, but the difference is very obvious to those of us who have seen it change. Remember when having 2 or 3 Tesla's was a big deal? In LA there's so many you'd swear they were giving them away. That comes at a cost.

Reactions: yak-55 and Brettski