Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 MPH for new Long Range Model S WITH and WITHOUT "Drag Strip Mode"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe this is a silly question but why can’t Tesla make the 2022 long range just as fast as the outgoing 2020’s by updating/unlocking the software. The 2020/1 are at about 2.4 0-60?
Cuz then that would put a hit on Plaid orders. Tesla wants to sell a lot of Plaids, but if the LR has a speed boost that makes it only .3 or .4 seconds slower than Plaid then obv people will get the LR version for a much cheaper price thus making Tesla loose money. That's why I don't think Tesla will introduce a speed boost.

Reactions: Blue Stuff
They are more likely to introduce a speed boost for the plaid than the LR to further the gap.

Look at the wait times for a new LR vs Plaid. They have no reason to make the LR faster with so many people already wanting it.

They are more likely to introduce a speed boost for the plaid than the LR to further the gap.

Look at the wait times for a new LR vs Plaid. They have no reason to make the LR faster with so many people already wanting it.

They already offer the acceleration boost for the Model 3 LR which then is barely slower than the performance model 3 (model 3 performance is only faster 0-30mph, then from 30 up they are pretty much identical)

The biggest difference is that they will almost certainly never offer the track mode with power split adjustments, turning off traction control, drift mode etc.

I absolutely think it’s feasible for $5k or so they will offer a boost to maybe get the 0-60 to 2.8 or something similar. Would be a lot of free money for them from ppl who already purchased the LR.

They already offer the acceleration boost for the Model 3 LR which then is barely slower than the performance model 3 (model 3 performance is only faster 0-30mph, then from 30 up they are pretty much identical)

The biggest difference is that they will almost certainly never offer the track mode with power split adjustments, turning off traction control, drift mode etc.

I absolutely think it’s feasible for $5k or so they will offer a boost to maybe get the 0-60 to 2.8 or something similar. Would be a lot of free money for them from ppl who already purchased the LR.
I think most of the people who wanted to get a Plaid already have or will very soon. They are easily to get right now on the Tesla website. Why order one?

I think the people that care about the fastest car will pay $35k for the extra 1/2 second ++ off the LR just like a Porsche “turbo”.

It’s got to be an ego thing and people with big egos will eventually run out of supply.

Maybe I’m wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks Ryan. Don't forget to track your state of charge numbers too. Please indicate if the times are with or without rollout too. Last M3P I tested was running 3.18-3.24 WITHOUT rollout. Factoring in rollout, it was actually running better than the 3.1 Tesla claims.

A 3.6 run for your LR puts it up in the range of the MYP. If yours is consistently running that slow, I think there is something wrong with it. Hopefully you'll have some better numbers when you run again.

Got the draggy, its charging, I'll be posting numbers shortly for the 2021 model s long rang. with and without drags trip mode
Ryanflynn, are you also "HotshotTek" of Youtube fame? I am one of the 193K subscribers to your very informative channel. I just found this thread as I was looking for similar information.
I know the MS Plaid can go 0-60 in less then 2 seconds and then 60-120 in less then 4 seconds. Totally awesome. I do not have a Plaid.
Two questions if I may.
What do you think the MS can do 60-120?
I have had my MS about 5 weeks and have never floored it. It has always been in chill mode. If the speeds vary, what do suppose 0-60 speeds would be in chill, sport and insane?

Ryanflynn, are you also "HotshotTek" of Youtube fame? I am one of the 193K subscribers to your very informative channel. I just found this thread as I was looking for similar information.
I know the MS Plaid can go 0-60 in less then 2 seconds and then 60-120 in less then 4 seconds. Totally awesome. I do not have a Plaid.
Two questions if I may.
What do you think the MS can do 60-120?
I have had my MS about 5 weeks and have never floored it. It has always been in chill mode. If the speeds vary, what do suppose 0-60 speeds would be in chill, sport and insane?
Until recently I have only had my MS in chill mode. I did not know that mode was designed to limit acceleration. I just found on the internet [and this is presumably true] that: "But when in Chill mode, the Model S hit 0 to 60 mph in 7.2 seconds". What a difference! Chill is history. Now I know.

The chill mode is good for keeping your wife from getting ticked off at you from nailing the throttle from a stop. Even our MY w/boost hits hard enough that I don't dare hit it hard without warning the family in the car. I tell our daughter, put your head against the car seat... Then I get the "look" from my wife about a millisecond later.

I have resigned myself that the S will be in perpetual chill mode when she is in the car. I learned from test driving the M3 performance. First and only time my wife has ever hit me is when I hit the M3P hard at launch on a full charge. Closest she's ever come to swearing that I've ever heard. Love her a lot but hard acceleration isn't her thing. Our daughter though is the budding acceleration junkie. As soon as mommy is out of the car she says "mommy is out of the car now" which is basically her code for 'game on' for max acceleration as long as I warn her to put her head against the car seat.

Reactions: Jpandes
If you have the MS can you just test yourself? Just switch out of chill mode?

If you have the MS can you just test yourself? Just switch out of chill mod
If you have the MS can you just test yourself? Just switch out of chill mode?
Fair point. What I did not know was that chill mode actually restricted the acceleration. Now, no more chill.
As for testing it myself..... I live in a highly urban area with lots of traffic and a fair amount of police. I neither wish to endanger anyone or get a ticket.

Reactions: Jabbahop
Fair point. What I did not know was that chill mode actually restricted the acceleration. Now, no more chill.
As for testing it myself..... I live in a highly urban area with lots of traffic and a fair amount of police. I neither wish to endanger anyone or get a ticket.
Do what I used to do, and may have to do again, find a deserted on-ramp. You can do the quick 0-60 burst there. Obviously being level is best but it should give you an idea.

Reactions: emailforbrett
Do what I used to do, and may have to do again, find a deserted on-ramp. You can do the quick 0-60 burst there. Obviously being level is best but it should give you an idea.
Hah! That’s exactly what I do! There is an awesomely long on-ramp to Rt417 leaving the Orlando airport. It’s always deserted late at night when I’m driving home. You can come to a complete stop and hit it hard through 100. On-ramps are a Plaid’s best friend.

Reactions: DayTrippin
Hah! That’s exactly what I do! There is an awesomely long on-ramp to Rt417 leaving the Orlando airport. It’s always deserted late at night when I’m driving home. You can come to a complete stop and hit it hard through 100. On-ramps are a Plaid’s best friend.
I actually know that one. I used to fly out of MCO from time to time. Had a lot of friends in the area. It doesn't take much of an on-ramp for a Tesla to be fun.

Reactions: emailforbrett