Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My postings, if any, will be general/technical for the time being. So please feel free to tag me in such posts/threads if my input might be helpful.
@wk057 i hope all the reverse engineering and upgrade paths u figured out won't be lost
all the knowledge u have shouldn't be lost n would help the Tesla DIY community greatly
if other company takes over, its fine but if Tesla got to u n trying to shut u down then just leak it on dark web ;)

PS, unrelated to this thread but would still be nice to have that CAN script to reset bms 029 error u mentioned 😅

Thats already happening... n will happen either way...
Its better than having poor owners fall for scams of paying to reset it...
Just recently someone linked a Craigslist ad to reset 029 for $2500 lol

Ouch. Well I would still argue (no surprise, I like to argue 😜) that an owner who pays someone other than Tesla to "fix" this issue without doing their due diligence is less innocent than a non-owner (and perhaps someone new to EVs or Tesla) buying a used Tesla only to find out that the battery is failing and will cost them $20k.

I don't know how often this is actually happening to people, so perhaps it's not as widespread of an issue as I'm making it... but this type of experience might rightfully put someone off of EVs forever.

Still, there's not real justification (IMO) for having software out in the wild to clear serious BMS errors.

If it were up to me, I wish Tesla would log these types of errors server-side and then immediately issue a notice each time the car is "started" after calling home. This way, even if someone clears this from the car's local logs, it'll persist for the driver to see.

Reactions: unk45 and dhrivnak
This is nothing more than the ramblings of a not-very-drunk-enough idiot, and if that wasn't clear enough... I have no knowledge of anything. Even the things that I know, I have no knowledge of those either.

I think if the business was sold, it might be to Electrified Garage. They don't want anything said for the moment b/c of business reasons, but incorporating the institutional knowledge that Jason has, would be a major benefit to keeping the classic Teslas on the road around the country since EG has multiple locations.

But I don't know anything so this post is worth twice what you paid for it. ;)

Why is the rum always gone?

• Funny
Reactions: brainhouston
Finally, and this is just a guess... silence maybe lawyer's gag order.
This was my first guess.
I also just want to say that I just hope Jason is alright. Hopefully it's just a physical location change/server migration typical of a move that kept them out-of-the loop with bigger issues going on but not health/family related emergencies.
This was another thought. Nothing can grind a small business to a halt quicker than the person handling most of it becoming seriously ill. Good to see that it wasn't that.
While I'm sure there will be rampant speculation all around, I can not get into details right now. Suffice it to say I'm not as much in the loop as I would've been a year ago, but I am still doing what I can to help push things along in a positive direction. I must leave it at that for the moment, but I will be back as soon as possible with a detailed update.
I could come up with some weird speculation here, but I'll wait for an official announcement instead.

I just want some comfort knowing I purchased the battery warranty plan last year in July never received the BMD, own a 2014 MS with 90k miles with original HV battery pack and if something goes wrong with said battery pack, I can take her to 057 tech for repairs (within limits and scope of course). That’s all I ask for.

I don't know how often this is actually happening to people, so perhaps it's not as widespread of an issue as I'm making it... but this type of experience might rightfully put someone off of EVs forever.
To my mind this is no different than the experiences people have when buying old unusual ICE vehicles.
My personal experience includes a Morgan +8, Ferrari 308GT4, MB 300SEL 6.3. and NSU Ro80, plus some more.
In all those cases some parts and service had to be with experienced non-factory sources. All had serious quirks.
BEV, including Tesla, can be serious questions when very old, and pre-2018 with expired battery warranty certainly counts.
Maybe there is potential ill-will from such problems, but anybody buying high-end vehicles that age, i.e. Pre-Model 3, should understand that ANY such vehicle can be, and probably will be, problematic.

Reactions: dhrivnak and hydro
anybody buying high-end vehicles that age, i.e. Pre-Model 3, should understand that ANY such vehicle can be, and probably will be, problematic.

Yes but I paid an extra $2000 $1750 plus tax - I think it was? I can't even see my old invoice on the website he never fixed that - in hopes of delaying the "inevitable" $20k replacement battery expense (yes I know SC replacement costs will vary depending on many factors) for an extra two years. My Tesla 8 year battery and drive unit warranty just expired this week. I have no clue whether the 057 warranty I bought in April at a small extra discount for buying it more than 6 months before the Tesla warranty is up, is worth anything at this point. Not sure why an NDA would prevent that from becoming known and putting everyone's mind at ease. Just tell me it's okay or tell me you screwed me. And me multiplied by hundreds potentially. If the LLC dissolution screwed everyone then hiding that isn't going to change the fact that we are screwed out of our up front purchase cost.

Point is I "knew this warranty was an option" before I decided to purchase the car a year ago, and it influenced my purchase decision on the car.

I have no clue whether the 057 warranty I bought in April at a small extra discount for buying it more than 6 months before the Tesla warranty is up, is worth anything at this point. Not sure why an NDA would prevent that from becoming known and putting everyone's mind at ease.
I mean really? If he sold the company, he would potentially no longer have the authority to say anything, or even have the knowledge of what the new owners are doing or planning.

We are just going to have to wait until either Jason can say more, or the new owners, if wk057 Tech was sold, start communicating with us.

Reactions: mongo

Point is I "knew this warranty was an option" before I decided to purchase the car a year ago, and it influenced my purchase decision on the car.
Your example is one reason it works well. An anecdote: a long time ago my company had a contract to develop F&I products for a major OEM. My team all had to understood and use access to all cost data. We developed a leasing product, extended warranty and a few others. After the subject luxury model entered the market one of my senior team members (former SVP of a major auto financing bank) leased one from a local cooperating dealer. He bought an extended warranty at posted price, and accepted the lease with MSRP, including the warranty add, plus taxes and fees, in capitalized cost, with his initial payment including a Residual value Reduction.
When we calculated the result he had paid roughly 25% gross profit to the dealer.

The moral: even experts get scammed by dealers, but most experts don't have access to the data to know how much they really pay. FWIW, few extended warranties have less than a 50% but-in margin to the sponsor plus >100% for the seller.
My suspicion is that WK057's version actually provided tangible value. I doubt he has much interest is scamming anybody.

This looks like a wrap? How long has it been on and has it held up?

It's not a wrap, it's a "dip" with Autoflex. See this thread for the details:

It's been more than 5 years and it holds up great. Looks pretty much the same as it did on day #1.

Reactions: tesluv108
It's not a wrap, it's a "dip" with Autoflex. See this thread for the details:

It's been more than 5 years and it holds up great. Looks pretty much the same as it did on day #1.

Well this isn’t good.
IMG_1676.jpeg
IMG_1677.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne