Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1,000,000 Mile Tesla Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said today that next year the Model 3 would have a battery with a life expectancy of a million miles. He glossed over any details during the Q&A session immediately following. What is Tesla going to do differently to the batteries next year to get 1,000,000 miles?

He also said it would be because they will be able to achieve 4000 recharge cycles. So does that mean you have to max out every charge by getting battery down to 10% and charge to 90%? What about situations when you plug in at night with 29% seems to me like the 1M won’t really be able to be achieved unless I don’t understand what counts as a charge cycle. I’m hoping someone can bring some clarity to this.

He also said it would be because they will be able to achieve 4000 recharge cycles. So does that mean you have to max out every charge by getting battery down to 10% and charge to 90%? What about situations when you plug in at night with 29% seems to me like the 1M won’t really be able to be achieved unless I don’t understand what counts as a charge cycle. I’m hoping someone can bring some clarity to this.

Going from 50 to 30 to 50 is half a cycle.

Going from 30 to 20 to 30 is a tenth of a cycle.

Going from 100 to 0 to 100 is a full cycle.

Etc.

ngogas - I like your thinking. In 8 years if an automobile has survived road hazards, wrong way drivers, floods and theft .....
who knows ..... but surely something better will be available.

I once has a beautiful 1985 RX-7 and protected it, wouldn't park it, and rarely drove it.
One day someone ask .... "Who are you saving this car for? The next owner."

And he was right, the buyer got a pristine, beautiful, low milage RX-7 with no dings or blemishes.

ngogas - I like your thinking. In 8 years if an automobile has survived road hazards, wrong way drivers, floods and theft .....
who knows ..... but surely something better will be available.

I once has a beautiful 1985 RX-7 and protected it, wouldn't park it, and rarely drove it.
One day someone ask .... "Who are you saving this car for? The next owner."

And he was right, the buyer got a pristine, beautiful, low milage RX-7 with no dings or blemishes.

100% agree. Never understood why someone would buy an expensive car and then hide it away. I had a friend that did that with a 2010 BMW 350. Now he has a pristine car that is wearth about $1 or 2k more than all the rest that have been driven. I could see maybe a Ferrari or Lambo something that actually goes up in value.