Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed (2nd) battery 700 miles out of warranty.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Literally the first thing that come up when you google this is other people claiming the same on different forum platforms. I didn’t not include the ones from the forum but there are many different threads for multiple places discussing similar claims. There are also some news articles about it if you search deep enough and Tesla has also had some updates in the past that referenced “odometer accuracy update” nfi. No clue by how you are defining “known issues” and it might be different than what I mean. You can say you don’t agree but not making it up here.
I'd say ignore these kind of posts and focus on what you think is the right action plan.

One, talk to a lawyer.

Two, document, document, document.

Three, you need to show more of that documentation to your lawyer than you did to the participants in this thread. If people are a tad skeptical, it's because a lot of your comments were vague and not detailed. If your car was discharging rapidly, you need to take pictures and screenshots, proving that was the case. If you can, it should be easy to get warranty service. I mean, you already had a HV battery replacement early, that should have tipped you off that you need clear documentation.

Four, clearly you've had very bad luck to have two HV battery failures.

Five, I think cars always overreport their mileage, as odometers are calibrated to speedometers, and speedometers always read high, never low.

I use ABRP, abetterrouteplanner app. It uses GPS to determine how much the speed and presumably odometer are off. Since I have winter tires on, they're off by 3.5%. There are other GPS apps that can tell you the same info.

Six, good luck.
IMG_3396.jpeg

Five, I think cars always overreport their mileage, as odometers are calibrated to speedometers, and speedometers always read high, never low.

I use ABRP, abetterrouteplanner app. It uses GPS to determine how much the speed and presumably odometer are off. Since I have winter tires on, they're off by 3.5%. There are other GPS apps that can tell you the same info.
In Tesla I don't think the speed and odometer are directly connected. As the speed always reports ~1 MPH fast, but in my tests the odometer distance is always dead on. (i.e. they fudge the speed to meet NHTSA regulations of never reporting slower than actual speed, but maintain the odometer accurately.)

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. Nuke and KenC
In the past, if my memory serve ( it increasingly doesn't) with BMW, when a part has failed under warranty, the new part is covered by a "fresh start" warranty. So therefore the replaced battery........
A lot of manufactures put a minimum 1-year, 12k mile warranty on parts replaced under warranty. Tesla does not, the warranty specifically says there is no extension:

1710542087253.png

Literally the first thing that come up when you google this is other people claiming the same on different forum platforms. I didn’t not include the ones from the forum but there are many different threads for multiple places discussing similar claims. There are also some news articles about it if you search deep enough and Tesla has also had some updates in the past that referenced “odometer accuracy update” nfi. No clue by how you are defining “known issues” and it might be different than what I mean. You can say you don’t agree but not making it up here.
That's exactly the one I pointed out the OP was comparing to Google maps and never bothered to check against a more reliable record (like GPS Calibrated device, or road mileage markers). Basically there was no evidence provide that indicated a real problem, certainly nothing that would hold up in court.

Last edited:
A lot of manufactures put a minimum 1-year, 12k mile warranty on parts replaced under warranty. Tesla does not, the warranty specifically says there is no extension:

View attachment 1028473
It may be possible that in a particular state or country, they could be forced to give some kind of minimum warranty. Indeed, a replacement that failed in a week would look so bad, that I expect that even Tesla would know they had to cover it or face holy hell in the press...of course, if any automaker could blunder that badly, it would be Tesla.