Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed (2nd) battery 700 miles out of warranty.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 model 3 recently had a battery failure 700 miles out of warranty. I already had battery failure at 21k miles and had the battery replaced then. I complained about potential battery issues during other service about 5 months ago but basically being told that there’s nothing they can do. I also explained about the known odometer issues and that I know for a fact my car isn’t actually over 100,000 miles. Anyone have similar “failures” immediately after warranty? Although I get that things fail, anyone who knows the science behind batteries can tell you that their claim of the battery being “just fine” during the warranty and failing randomly right after seems strange.

My 2021 model 3 recently had a battery failure 700 miles out of warranty. I already had battery failure at 21k miles and had the battery replaced then. I complained about potential battery issues during other service about 5 months ago but basically being told that there’s nothing they can do. I also explained about the known odometer issues and that I know for a fact my car isn’t actually over 100,000 miles. Anyone have similar “failures” immediately after warranty? Although I get that things fail, anyone who knows the science behind batteries can tell you that their claim of the battery being “just fine” during the warranty and failing randomly right after seems strange.

There are no known "odometer issues." I don't know what you're talking about on that one.

As for the battery failure, I presume you're talking about the 12-volt battery, not the main, high voltage battery. 12-volt batteries aren't infallible. Sometimes you can get 5+ years out of them and other times you only get a couple of years out of them. I don't think the 12-volt batteries that Tesla uses are any better or worse than what other manufacturers use. It's $100 - replace it and move on.

If you're actually talking about your main high voltage battery, please clarify.

Reactions: buckets0fun
There are no known "odometer issues." I don't know what you're talking about on that one.

As for the battery failure, I presume you're talking about the 12-volt battery, not the main, high voltage battery. 12-volt batteries aren't infallible. Sometimes you can get 5+ years out of them and other times you only get a couple of years out of them. I don't think the 12-volt batteries that Tesla uses are any better or worse than what other manufacturers use. It's $100 - replace it and move on.

If you're actually talking about your main high voltage battery, please clarify.
Talking about the HV battery

You're going to have to show us some of these claims. I've never seen anything like this, and my odometers (all three of them) are very accurate - within 1%.
Well even within 1% that still puts me under 100,000 miles. Which is more my point on how quickly the HV battery is showing failure so close to being out of warranty when it’s already a refurbished that replaced a previously failed battery.

Well even within 1% that still puts me under 100,000 miles. Which is more my point on how quickly the HV battery is showing failure so close to being out of warranty when it’s already a refurbished that replaced a previously failed battery.

I agree that the battery packs - both of them - should not have failed so early in their lives. If you believe that your odometer is that far off, that you're still technically under warranty, and Tesla won't assist you, you'll probably want to look into arbitration.

I agree that the battery packs - both of them - should not have failed so early in their lives. If you believe that your odometer is that far off, that you're still technically under warranty, and Tesla won't assist you, you'll probably want to look into arbitration.
they have been very unwilling to help and simply kept saying “things happen, battery’s can fail at a moments notice, your logs showed no sign of failure till you were notified through the service notification.” In terms of arbitration i know their warrant gives an arbitration company for disagreements but states that they must be first notified of issues and only within the time frame of the warrant itself.

they have been very unwilling to help and simply kept saying “things happen, battery’s can fail at a moments notice, your logs showed no sign of failure till you were notified through the service notification.” In terms of arbitration i know their warrant gives an arbitration company for disagreements but states that they must be first notified of issues and only within the time frame of the warrant itself.
Before you go to arbitration with speculation that the odometer is off, you'll have to test it independently to substantiate your claim.
I hope it works out for you.

Were there early indications or issues you mentioned in your opening paragraph?
I have always felt like my battery sucked but nothing that I didn’t chalk up to general degradation but back in August I took my car in with a bunch of issues. Battery drainage, charging issues, overheating, but they chalked it up to being a cabin filter AC issues (which was broken) and that my entire battery was fine. They also deleted everything off my service request since they didn’t actually find issues with it and just charged me for the cabin air filter. Then about 2 months ago I ran out of juice going to a super charger and my screen still showed I had 2-3% battery. I notified them again that I felt like something was up and they still said it was fine.

Mentioned all this to the service manager and he said they went back and looked at all the logs and he said nothing was wrong over the last few months and basically put it back on me for not informing them if I had issues… despite the fact that I did inform them and they said it was fine.

Before you go to arbitration with speculation that the odometer is off, you'll have to test it independently to substantiate your claim.
I hope it works out for you.
I had taken my own “logs” but the service manager said even if they ‘Tesla’ could find something wrong with my odometer now there is nothing to show it was bad before. I had mentioned this in person back in August when I got it serviced and he said they looked at it and it was “fine” but they never documented it and since I didn’t document it that it was a non issue. They even deleted some of the concerns I had put in my original service requests related to the battery since they said that it was all due to the Cabin air filter.

I had taken my own “logs” but the service manager said even if they ‘Tesla’ could find something wrong with my odometer now there is nothing to show it was bad before. I had mentioned this in person back in August when I got it serviced and he said they looked at it and it was “fine” but they never documented it and since I didn’t document it that it was a non issue. They even deleted some of the concerns I had put in my original service requests related to the battery since they said that it was all due to the Cabin air filter.
But if your odometer is bad, independent testing should prove it. It doesn't matter what was logged or not logged before.

But if your odometer is bad, independent testing should prove it. It doesn't matter what was logged or not logged before.
I also don’t know how I can get it tested with a broken battery. It’s showing now it can charge up to 59% but I am guessing that won’t last long and it’ll potentially get worse and effect other systems if I drive it.

complained about potential battery isissues
What were the "potential" issues?
known odometer issues
Your odometer shows 100,700 but you think the "real" mileage is less. I think you can test accuracy on the highway using mileage markers.
that I know for a fact my car isn’t actually over 100,000 miles
Test accuracy using mile markers on the highway.
I took my car in with a bunch of issues. Battery drainage, charging issues, overheating, but they chalked it up to being a cabin filter AC issues
Well, that'd just a bit off. But maybe not. If the filter was clogged it could cause overheating, charging issues from overheating, drainage from trying to push air through a clogged filter.
But ... I really can't even speculate because I don't know.
They also deleted everything off my service request since they didn’t actually find issues with it
The app will show all your communications.
I ran out of juice going to a super charger and my screen still showed I had 2-3%
Hmmm
if they ‘Tesla’ could find something wrong with my odometer now there is nothing to show it was bad before.
Red herring argument.
They even deleted some of the concerns I had put in my original service requests related to the battery since they said that it was all due to the Cabin air filter.
The app will show all communications.
I also don’t know how I can get it tested with a broken battery. It’s showing now it can charge up to 59% but I am guessing that won’t last long and it’ll potentially get worse and effect other systems if I drive it.
If it charges to 59%, then you can run your test.

Pretty strange. I am pessimistic about this story, it just doesn't ring true. Maybe this thread belongs on Reddit.

Last edited: