Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed (2nd) battery 700 miles out of warranty.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California's requirement even to 2026 and beyond is 8 years / 100k miles (only the percentage changes form 70% to 75%). A lot of people confuse the requirement with the hybrid/PZEV requirement, which is longer, but does not apply to BEVs.

Aww makes sense I thought it DID apply to teslas. I thought there was still some laws in place that applied to teslas that was like far beyond others.

Specific issues were not correctly supercharging
This is not specific, at all. I see in another post you say your charge speed at a specific charging location was limited to ~30kw. There are countless reasons for this, but none of them strongly correlate with a failing battery.
massive battery drainage while driving
Same as above.
but also while parked. Specifically in one case I parked with 20% battery and 1 hour later it was at 3%,
This is “normal” these days for older Model S when parked at low state of charge as the battery cools. Many reports of this all over the forums. My car did this EVERY TIME I parked under 20% - no failed battery. It’s not actually losing charge, the BMS just limits available/advertised capacity to protect the battery.
had issues achieving correct voltage while charging on a 220
No idea what this means, but the car doesn’t “achieve” correct voltage. Voltage comes from the power source and the car has no control over it.
and on one occasion when I was driving to a super charger during a trip, the car shut off claiming there was not enough power to complete the trip out of no where with percentage still shown on remaining battery.
An unfortunate occasional occurrence as batteries age, cells become imbalanced from age and/or charging habits, etc.

State of charge is an estimate - running an old battery very low is a crap shoot. It does NOT mean failure is imminent.
All this was relayed to tesla during a service back in August and I was told there was nothing wrong
Makes sense.

Again - bummer luck. I sympathize. But NOTHING you describe suggests Tesla did you dirty.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
This is not specific, at all. I see in another post you say your charge speed at a specific charging location was limited to ~30kw. There are countless reasons for this, but none of them strongly correlate with a failing battery.
Name the countless reasons as Tesla couldn’t give me any. Every other car at this charging station which was a 240kw was doing fine. No other issues than mine, I even downloaded the charging logs and sent them to the service manager after and ya it’s not direftly correlated to a battery issue but it also doesn’t mean there isn’t one and when I took my car in back in August and mentioned this, nothing came of it. I even asked again recently for the tests done and they now are claiming they never documented any tests done but did admit that I told them about this issue. They said and I quote “all health checks conducted in August showed up fine however we don’t have any record of doing the health checks”
Same as above.

This is “normal” these days for older Model S when parked at low state of charge as the battery cools. Many reports of this all over the forums. My car did this EVERY TIME I parked under 20% - no failed battery. It’s not actually losing charge, the BMS just limits available/advertised capacity to protect the battery.
I don’t have an “older model s” I have a model 3 2021 with a battery that was under 80k miles. Have never heard of anyone losing 15% of battery in an hour while parked and it being normal? Especially when the car is designed to conserve at low ranges. I have also never had this issue in the past, and maybe it’s normal for you but it was something out of norm that I again reported to Tesla in August. I have literally had my car parked in - degree weather for hours and did not loose this much charge as well as +110 heat.
No idea what this means, but the car doesn’t “achieve” correct voltage. Voltage comes from the power source and the car has no control over it.

An unfortunate occasional occurrence as batteries age, cells become imbalanced from age and/or charging habits, etc.

State of charge is an estimate - running an old battery very low is a crap shoot. It does NOT mean failure is imminent.

Makes sense.

Again - bummer luck. I sympathize. But NOTHING you describe suggests Tesla did you dirty.
Issues in the sense that although my car was plugged in a 220v, the car would only charge at a 3 amp level which it should be at least 32. Again ya there could be “other things going on” but to say this is normal is not correct. And again this was not an old battery this was a refurbished battery that was already a replacement for another battery that went out. Obviously there are other reasons for the issues I described but to say Tesla doesn’t “do people dirty” is insane. Look at all the lawsuits they are settling and look at the countless similar threads about similar issues with Tesla pushing customers away claiming that there wasn’t issues with cars and then two weeks later something breaks. They literally had a team established to suppress complaints about battery range based on their inflation of capabilities 😂 ya I get maybe I just have shitty luck but for Tesla to flat out tell me in writing that they admit I requested and reported issues on my battery and don’t even have documentation on what tests they did presents a credible reason to ask more questions. None of the issues I stated are normal by any means. Especially as a whole. These weren’t just “flukes” that randomly happened there was a pattern and I reported it to Tesla, took my car in, pressed them on my concerns with issues RELATED to the battery and was told it’s fine, then it brakes and they can’t actually tell me what was tested when they told me it was fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaqueh
This a huge longshot. But the warranty should start when the car was sold as new. And you can deduct for mileage accrued during service visits. It's unlikely to accrue that many miles during most repairs that an EV might see, but can't hurt to check if you have access to records. Even ICE vehicles typically don't see huge mileage accruals, but I have seen a couple hundred miles of test drives put on vehicles at work when techs are diagnosing and/or treating to make sure a problem is resolved. If it was a demo vehicle, it could have started warranty with more miles on it as well.

Name the countless reasons as Tesla couldn’t give me any. Every other car at this charging station which was a 240kw was doing fine. No other issues than mine, I even downloaded the charging logs and sent them to the service manager after and ya it’s not direftly correlated to a battery issue but it also doesn’t mean there isn’t one and when I took my car in back in August and mentioned this, nothing came of it. I even asked again recently for the tests done and they now are claiming they never documented any tests done but did admit that I told them about this issue. They said and I quote “all health checks conducted in August showed up fine however we don’t have any record of doing the health checks”

I don’t have an “older model s” I have a model 3 2021 with a battery that was under 80k miles. Have never heard of anyone losing 15% of battery in an hour while parked and it being normal? Especially when the car is designed to conserve at low ranges. I have also never had this issue in the past, and maybe it’s normal for you but it was something out of norm that I again reported to Tesla in August. I have literally had my car parked in - degree weather for hours and did not loose this much charge as well as +110 heat.

Issues in the sense that although my car was plugged in a 220v, the car would only charge at a 3 amp level which it should be at least 32. Again ya there could be “other things going on” but to say this is normal is not correct. And again this was not an old battery this was a refurbished battery that was already a replacement for another battery that went out. Obviously there are other reasons for the issues I described but to say Tesla doesn’t “do people dirty” is insane. Look at all the lawsuits they are settling
There are lots of lawsuits filed, there haven't been many they actually settled related to the battery. The only one they settled that I can find is over a software update on older Model S/X that temporarily reduced the max battery voltage, which the plaintiffs only got $625 each out of. There haven't been any successful lawsuits so far on the Model 3/Y battery. So I wouldn't get any false hopes up on something as much as a full battery replacement.
and look at the countless similar threads about similar issues with Tesla pushing customers away claiming that there wasn’t issues with cars and then two weeks later something breaks.
I'm sure there are some examples, but I wouldn't characterize it as "countless". There are now literally millions of Model 3/Y out there, so it's bound to happen there will be some with issues, but I don't think it is accurate to say it is common at all.
They literally had a team established to suppress complaints about battery range based on their inflation of capabilities 😂
That's just media hysteria over the team that is used to address people asking service why their car doesn't get EPA range (simple answer: they aren't driving in a way that matches the EPA cycle!) and wasting valuable service personnel time when their car has no real issue. I'm pretty sure most dealers have dealt with this with new EV buyers (that's why there's a dedicated term: "range anxiety"). There is so far no indication DOE found anything wrong with the team in their investigation into this matter, despite the reports making it sound that way.
ya I get maybe I just have shitty luck but for Tesla to flat out tell me in writing that they admit I requested and reported issues on my battery and don’t even have documentation on what tests they did presents a credible reason to ask more questions. None of the issues I stated are normal by any means. Especially as a whole. These weren’t just “flukes” that randomly happened there was a pattern and I reported it to Tesla, took my car in, pressed them on my concerns with issues RELATED to the battery and was told it’s fine, then it brakes and they can’t actually tell me what was tested when they told me it was fine.
I get you are upset and I probably would be too in your situation, but just wanted to point out some factual inaccuracies (especially if you are intending to use them to support your case in court, which does not help you if they turn out incorrect or misleading).

• Love
This a huge longshot. But the warranty should start when the car was sold as new. And you can deduct for mileage accrued during service visits. It's unlikely to accrue that many miles during most repairs that an EV might see, but can't hurt to check if you have access to records. Even ICE vehicles typically don't see huge mileage accruals, but I have seen a couple hundred miles of test drives put on vehicles at work when techs are diagnosing and/or treating to make sure a problem is resolved. If it was a demo vehicle, it could have started warranty with more miles on it as well.
So new it had 0 but did have to drive it far for pick up and also for service. Probably actually 1000+.

There are lots of lawsuits filed, there haven't been many they actually settled related to the battery. The only one they settled that I can find is over a software update on older Model S/X that temporarily reduced the max battery voltage, which the plaintiffs only got $625 each out of. There haven't been any successful lawsuits so far on the Model 3/Y battery. So I wouldn't get any false hopes up on something as much as a full battery replacement.

I'm sure there are some examples, but I wouldn't characterize it as "countless". There are now literally millions of Model 3/Y out there, so it's bound to happen there will be some with issues, but I don't think it is accurate to say it is common at all.

That's just media hysteria over the team that is used to address people asking service why their car doesn't get EPA range (simple answer: they aren't driving in a way that matches the EPA cycle!) and wasting valuable service personnel time when their car has no real issue. I'm pretty sure most dealers have dealt with this with new EV buyers (that's why there's a dedicated term: "range anxiety"). There is so far no indication DOE found anything wrong with the team in their investigation into this matter, despite the reports making it sound that way.
This one’s tough because every company has teams that try and like suppress bad publicity but just from reading on the website how people have had their service requests canceled and sheer lack of customer service is what gives a little more validity to accusations. I mean I have gotten better customer service at Walmart.
I get you are upset and I probably would be too in your situation, but just wanted to point out some factual inaccuracies (especially if you are intending to use them to support your case in court, which does not help you if they turn out incorrect or misleading).
I mean if anything goes to court I’m not about to be the one arguing anything but my request from the beginning to Tesla has been that they are not backing up any of THEIR claims. They have to prove none of the issues I stated were connected to battery failure and they have admitted none of the tests they did were documented. Backing up my claims is impossible as they hold all the keys to their data and diagnostic. I can’t have another mechanic look at it and if it really got to court that would be the argument. They don’t have documentation to say tests showed no issues and do to that they would need to release the data for independent analysis. At least theoretically because I’m playing the long game on this one.

This one’s tough because every company has teams that try and like suppress bad publicity but just from reading on the website how people have had their service requests canceled and sheer lack of customer service is what gives a little more validity to accusations. I mean I have gotten better customer service at Walmart.

I mean if anything goes to court I’m not about to be the one arguing anything but my request from the beginning to Tesla has been that they are not backing up any of THEIR claims. They have to prove none of the issues I stated were connected to battery failure and they have admitted none of the tests they did were documented. Backing up my claims is impossible as they hold all the keys to their data and diagnostic. I can’t have another mechanic look at it and if it really got to court that would be the argument. They don’t have documentation to say tests showed no issues and do to that they would need to release the data for independent analysis. At least theoretically because I’m playing the long game on this one.
Where did you get that the burden of proof is on them? All they have to point out is from their point of view the cause back then was the AC issue and the August service addressed that, and it would be up to you to prove that they didn't (if you claim they didn't, the judge or mediator will likely ask, why didn't you reschedule service then, instead of waiting until now to point it out). For example, on the supercharger power reduction, after the service, did you go back and test again and record evidence it remained unfixed? Did you then report this to service afterwards (and have evidence of doing so)? Did the same rapid battery drain from 20% happen again, and did you record evidence of that and have evidence of reporting it to service?

As others pointed out, the evidence you point out even to us on the forums is very weak and vague. You are basically making very vague conjectures about the causes of the symptoms prior to the August service. To a judge/mediator, it would seem like you are throwing everything on the wall and hoping something sticks (especially the point about the odometer). You likely would need to do a much better job of organizing any evidence you have and making your case stronger (even prior to consulting with a lawyer). Like others, I'm curious what your lawyer says about your evidence so far and likelihood of winning.

I'd first try the goodwill route. See if they're willing to work with you.
If not go after Tesla if you have the money to do so. I really get a feeling that Tesla took your complaints a little lightly instead of running thorough tests.
This is ridiculous.

Where did you get that the burden of proof is on them? All they have to point out is from their point of view the cause back then was the AC issue and the August service addressed that, and it would be up to you to prove that they didn't (if you claim they didn't, the judge or mediator will likely ask, why didn't you reschedule service then, instead of waiting until now to point it out). For example, on the supercharger power reduction, after the service, did you go back and test again and record evidence it remained unfixed? Did you then report this to service afterwards (and have evidence of doing so)? Did the same rapid battery drain from 20% happen again, and did you record evidence of that and have evidence of reporting it to service?

As others pointed out, the evidence you point out even to us on the forums is very weak and vague. You are basically making very vague conjectures about the causes of the symptoms prior to the August service. To a judge/mediator, it would seem like you are throwing everything on the wall and hoping something sticks (especially the point about the odometer). You likely would need to do a much better job of organizing any evidence you have and making your case stronger (even prior to consulting with a lawyer). Like others, I'm curious what your lawyer says about your evidence so far and likelihood of winning.
So far the legal consultation I did get said that Tesla (in theory) should be producing some sort of documentation or report on the battery having no issues in August. I talked to them again and they said they don’t keep any records past a month and they basically take the route that “if there was an issue it would have been fixed” so since I drove the car away that implies no issues. Which again is contradicting to what they told me the day before that they keep records up to 90 days. Like I’m serious when I say every single time I talk to someone it’s something different. They will also now only communicate over the phone and every time I send a follow up message in the app, they say I misheard and give some generic response in writing.

It depends on what you mean. There stance was nothing was wrong after August so even though yes I have kept some records (pictures mostly) of issues they are claiming that this is not a “problem.” I hate to use the word gas lighting but in a sense they have stood on the fact that nothing has been wrong until the recent failure so every time I reference an issue that I discussed in the past, they claim that it’s normal.
I agree on organizing the evidence but I think the larger issue or at least the part that makes everything mute is that Teslas stance has been “no codes were thrown and no warning messages were provided to you through the car therefore no issues with the battery” regardless of the evidence I have I am wondering if anyone has experience where their car had an issue that didn’t actually flag. Their thing is that the cars check health constantly and anything that is believe to be an issue by the customer is not an issue unless something flags. Apparently it’s why they deleted my service requests about the battery and also why they “didn’t record” any tests that they conducted when I took it in for service in August.

Perhaps I missed something or should have read to the end of the thread but what "known odometer issues?" is the OP talking about here?

I mean, it sounds like they are conflating "My car doesnt get rated range" with " odometer issue" and they are not the same thing at all, period, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

There are no "known odometer issues" that I have ever heard of, and by putting that in the text it makes me discount pretty much everything else they are saying about their claims.

Perhaps I missed something or should have read to the end of the thread but what "known odometer issues?" is the OP talking about here?

I mean, it sounds like they are conflating "My car doesnt get rated range" with " odometer issue" and they are not the same thing at all, period, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

There are no "known odometer issues" that I have ever heard of, and by putting that in the text it makes me discount pretty much everything else they are saying about their claims.
Literally go to google and type in “Tesla odometer issues”….?

• Funny
All of those results point to very vague claims and dubious tracking (for example relying on google maps, which does not always give an accurate mileage number), which people pointed out in responses (but OP didn't address). I don't see people doing a calibrated GPS comparison or even doing the highway mileage marker test or any examples where people actually did a reliable test to prove an odometer issue.

Did you yourself do a calibrated GPS device test (you would have to find the rated accuracy of that device, you can't assume it is 100% accurate because no device is) or a mileage marker test to determine the difference? How much difference did you find?

Last edited:
Having two HV battery failures in 100,000 miles is terribly unfortunate. And it certainly begs several questions.

Thing is, though... you (the OP) have done absolutely none of the things that might help your "case."

Having a major pack failure at 21K miles would make most of us very suspicious of future HV battery issues. Especially given that replacement batteries in that scenario are nearly always refurbished, not new. Most of us would be watching that replacement battery like a hawk, and at the first sign of trouble would be at a Tesla Service Center. And yet you apparently drove nearly another 80K miles either blissfully unaware; or else ignoring things.

Most of us would document our concerns with screenshots and similar provable evidence. Most of us would collect and save any reports provided by Tesla.

Having taken our vehicle in for service, and being told that everything was normal, most of us would escalate/pursue those concerns then, or shortly thereafter, not months later, if we did not agree with that conclusion. And yet you drove happily towards your warranty expiration and didn't object until you had crossed that threshold.

Most of us, if we believed our odometer was optimistic and so we were being shortchanged on our warranty, would verify our vehicle - such being dead easy given the ubiquity of GPS devices and measured mileage markers on major highways.

And, finally, although most don't nerd out on their pack's internal particulars, leaving such minutiae to Tesla, some of us do pay attention to those stats. The detailed health of one's pack is available to those willing to pursue it.

Sorry again for your battery woes. But you've presented absolutely nothing in the forum here that would suggest you have any kind of "case" at all.

There arent any tesla odometer issues as it relates to the accuracy of the odometer to miles actually driven. Doubling down on this tells me where you are on this, though.

In any case, I will just say good luck in whatever you are trying to accomplish.

Having two HV battery failures in 100,000 miles is terribly unfortunate. And it certainly begs several questions.

Thing is, though... you (the OP) have done absolutely none of the things that might help your "case."

Having a major pack failure at 21K miles would make most of us very suspicious of future HV battery issues. Especially given that replacement batteries in that scenario are nearly always refurbished, not new. Most of us would be watching that replacement battery like a hawk, and at the first sign of trouble would be at a Tesla Service Center. And yet you apparently drove nearly another 80K miles either blissfully unaware; or else ignoring things.

Most of us would document our concerns with screenshots and similar provable evidence. Most of us would collect and save any reports provided by Tesla.

Having taken our vehicle in for service, and being told that everything was normal, most of us would escalate/pursue those concerns then, or shortly thereafter, not months later, if we did not agree with that conclusion. And yet you drove happily towards your warranty expiration and didn't object until you had crossed that threshold.

Most of us, if we believed our odometer was optimistic and so we were being shortchanged on our warranty, would verify our vehicle - such being dead easy given the ubiquity of GPS devices and measured mileage markers on major highways.

And, finally, although most don't nerd out on their pack's internal particulars, leaving such minutiae to Tesla, some of us do pay attention to those stats. The detailed health of one's pack is available to those willing to pursue it.

Sorry again for your battery woes. But you've presented absolutely nothing in the forum here that would suggest you have any kind of "case" at all.
Sooo clearly you didn’t actually read anything I have said. By all means if you want to actually give decent advice or disagree on a logical basis but other than that your comment really doesn’t address anything? Or even make sense.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
There arent any tesla odometer issues as it relates to the accuracy of the odometer to miles actually driven. Doubling down on this tells me where you are on this, though.

In any case, I will just say good luck in whatever you are trying to accomplish.

Literally the first thing that come up when you google this is other people claiming the same on different forum platforms. I didn’t not include the ones from the forum but there are many different threads for multiple places discussing similar claims. There are also some news articles about it if you search deep enough and Tesla has also had some updates in the past that referenced “odometer accuracy update” nfi. No clue by how you are defining “known issues” and it might be different than what I mean. You can say you don’t agree but not making it up here.