Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1,875 rebate sounds likely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered an SR+ in the Eden Prairie, MN store on 12/7. Was told I just made the cutoff for December delivery. 2-3 weeks was the timeframe. On 12/20, I was told it wouldn’t be delivered and that I should expect late January or sometime in February. A few days later, they called and offered me an inventory long range with different exterior color and interior color. I turned it down. Waiting to hear back from them on what they’ve been told, if anything. So I know firsthand, it’s not only in California, although it seems most people on the forums are from there.
There are a few of us MN folks in here! Glad to see another fellow MN will be driving around with a Model 3!

The EP location is a tight fit in that spot, no room for much inventory! The new Maplewood location is huge. Too bad they just opened it, otherwise I’m sure it could’ve supported more.

Hope you get your car soon, and get a decent resolution on your delayed delivery!

Apparently they ran out of capacity to deliver all the cars on 12/31, including LR.

I say this because I got notification that my car would be available at the factory on 12/31, but never got notification that it was ready, and on 1/3 called and learned that the car was at the factory and got it delivered then. At least one person on the forum mentioned being at the factory and didn't get through the paperwork until after midnight.

I really don’t know if anyone here will ever know the real count of customers that ordered when the front of the web site said “order now to receive your car by Dec 31”. I would estimate only a very small percentage of those customers come to this web site.

The one report of getting $1,875 back is encouraging. Hope we hear more reports soon from those that didn’t get their M3’s yet:)

Reactions: Sherlo
Just got a call about my order being ready for delivery tomorrow and was told I am not eligible for the $1875 money back. I placed an order for an SR+ on 12/12 when the website was still reporting orders would be available for delivery by Dec 31st and my Tesla account lists delivery 2 weeks from order date. Contemplating canceling the order as the federal rebate was part of the motivation for ordering now vs later for me.

Just got a call about my order being ready for delivery tomorrow and was told I am not eligible for the $1875 money back. I placed an order for an SR+ on 12/12 when the website was still reporting orders would be available for delivery by Dec 31st and my Tesla account lists delivery 2 weeks from order date. Contemplating canceling the order as the federal rebate was part of the motivation for ordering now vs later for me.
Did you get texts that confirmed delivery pre-12/31 and then a phone call cancelling delivery?

I placed an order for an SR+ on 12/12 when the website was still reporting orders would be available for delivery by Dec 31st and my Tesla account lists delivery 2 weeks from order date. Contemplating canceling the order as the federal rebate was part of the motivation for ordering now vs later for me.

Before 12/9, language on the website said that orders placed by 12/8 would be available for delivery by 12/31 and eligible for the credit, although it wasn't a guarantee. On 12/9 that language was replaced by something along the lines of, "Take delivery by 12/31 to be eligible for the tax credit." It didn't say anything about new orders being available by that date. There are screenshots around here of the two screens. It was a pretty clear cutoff, so I don't think you have a gripe here, unfortunately.

just curious who you got a call from? your delivery center or your sales agent.

Before 12/9, language on the website said that orders placed by 12/8 would be available for delivery by 12/31 and eligible for the credit, although it wasn't a guarantee. On 12/9 that language was replaced by something along the lines of, "Take delivery by 12/31 to be eligible for the tax credit." It didn't say anything about new orders being available by that date. There are screenshots around here of the two screens. It was a pretty clear cutoff, so I don't think you have a gripe here, unfortunately.

Yeah, oh well. For me, the language at the time I ordered was

"Federal Tax Credit Take delivery by 12/31 to be eligible for $1,875 Federal Tax Credit. See recommendedorder-by dates."

and clicking on recommended order-by-dates for me in California showed

"California orders placed today will be available for delivery by 12/31. For customers ordering from rest of US and looking to take delivery by the end of the year, visit a store or view available inventory."

You can see this on the web archive Design Your Model 3 | Tesla (might have to be in CA.)

just curious who you got a call from? your delivery center or your sales agent.

It was from the delivery center, not my SA. I let my SA know and he wasn't aware of anyone that received a credit.

I spoke with my SR yesterday. He said they've been given direction that if a customer placed an order before 12/8/19 and if the customer was available to receive delivery before 12/31/19 (i.e. did not leave town or flake on their delivery appointment), then they can submit a case to make amends for the loss of rebate. No further information on how this will be paid out or how quickly these approvals will happen.

If this rebate of $1875 really pans out and Tesla actually grants them, I'm guessing a future price reduction is also in the works...it's been fairly common in the past. We'll have to wait until about mid-January to see the adjustments, if prior cycles are anything to go by. But I don't imagine it'll be retroactive to people who didn't order in 2019 but pick up their cars before the price reduction...

Time will tell! "Cheapest" (list price) Model 3s yet, on the way! Maybe.

Yeah, oh well. For me, the language at the time I ordered was

"Federal Tax Credit Take delivery by 12/31 to be eligible for $1,875 Federal Tax Credit. See recommendedorder-by dates."

and clicking on recommended order-by-dates for me in California showed

"California orders placed today will be available for delivery by 12/31. For customers ordering from rest of US and looking to take delivery by the end of the year, visit a store or view available inventory."

You can see this on the web archive Design Your Model 3 | Tesla (might have to be in CA.)

It was from the delivery center, not my SA. I let my SA know and he wasn't aware of anyone that received a credit.

Me too. Ordered on 12/13 seeing the same message and being convinced I can take delivery by 12/31 for the Tax incentive.

I'm also waiting for an update. They are still reviewing my case. If I don't get a credit, I'll cancel the order. Very likely they will lower the price in Q1.

If I don't get a credit, I'll cancel the order.

I wouldn't cancel it...I would just keep postponing delivery. Seems simpler. They can't make you pay if you don't pick up the car.

They'll make the price adjustment automatically to your MVPA if there is a lowering in price (in theory, and most of the time in practice - that was my experience) - but only if that occurs before you pick up the car!

Everyone! I got a call from a offsite sales manager telling me that I will be given a post delivery check to compensate for the loss of the tax credit amounting in $1875. Ordered Burbank 11/24 white black 19’s SR+. Got delivery text 12/22, appointment 12/28 but never received Vin and got a call on 12/28 saying car won’t make it in time. Got MVPA 01/01/2020 and found out today car is offsite and will be ready for delivery this week. So there you go!

Everyone! I got a call from a offsite sales manager telling me that I will be given a post delivery check to compensate for the loss of the tax credit amounting in $1875. Ordered Burbank 11/24 white black 19’s SR+. Got delivery text 12/22, appointment 12/28 but never received Vin and got a call on 12/28 saying car won’t make it in time. Got MVPA 01/01/2020 and found out today car is offsite and will be ready for delivery this week. So there you go!

Awesome! Excited for you. Hopefully good news will start coming through for the rest of us as well.

Reactions: Jazz3D

Very nice but get it in writing. Verbal promises at Tesla mean nothing.