Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1% degradation after 51k miles on 85 B pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JPUConn

Aug 11, 2014
CT
IMG_6441.jpg

Heading out on a 240 mile round trip drive today and just range charged.

My car is a CPO S85 and when purchased in June at 46k miles was showing 260 at 100%. I don't know how the prior owner treated the battery but do know my battery and drivetrain are original to the car with a B pack battery.

Now at 51k and it's reading 262 ratedThat's just over 1% degradation in 51k miles / 3.5 years!

• Informative
Reactions: EVCarGUy
Nice scenic fall drive to a family get together with no real range anxiety (or I'm just crazy).

Stats for the trip:
IMG_6469.jpg

On the way to our destination I was conviently following a charter bus and managed some very nice efficiency. After the bus parted ways there was an 18 wheeler not far off to help.

IMG_6443.JPG

My "hypermiling" adventure stopped when we happened to be a few miles from the Auburn, MA supercharger on our route and one of the kids needed a diaper change. That 10 minute diaper change (can't just take one of the 3 kids out of the car) added 27 miles of blissful buffer. After that the ac went on, speed increased by ~10 mph, displays no longer dimmed, and range mode off.

While at my destination I plugged into an outlet to sip a 10 more buffer miles. The downside was folks new to Tesla asking and assuming that I need to plug in any time I park the car but the payoff was being able to enjoy the drive home and not worry about efficiency. Arrived home with 14% left on the pack.

IMG_6470.jpg

Hyper milling and 18 wheeler? You're brave!
The amount of debris their tires kick up makes me stay far away from them.

I agree. I understand the whole hyper milling thing but not worth all the road debris kicking up. I would be curious about charging technique and best practices for charging. I'm only charging to 90% presently.

Last edited:
View attachment 197944

Heading out on a 240 mile round trip drive today and just range charged.

My car is a CPO S85 and when purchased in June at 46k miles was showing 260 at 100%. I don't know how the prior owner treated the battery but do know my battery and drivetrain are original to the car with a B pack battery.

Now at 51k and it's reading 262 ratedThat's just over 1% degradation in 51k miles / 3.5 years!
That doesn't mean anything in reality. The displayed range is by no means accurate enough to determine battery degradation. You're measuring millimeters with a yard stick.

I agree. I understand the whole hyper milling thing but not worth all the road debris kicking up. I would be curious about charging technique and best practices for charging. I'm only charging to 90% presently.

Roads were clear and dry, and my car came with some rock chips already so a few more won't bother me.

I often charge to 80-90% depending on planned activity. My soc is typically between 40-80%.

Range charges and using the majority of the available pack energy is an exception as I have destination charging options at my most common distance locations.

I too would like to understand if there are better practices - is it better to range charge to make it back vs supercharge mid trip?

You sure the previous owner didn't get a pack replacement?

I have two 2013 cars with 85kWh B packs, one with 13k miles and one with 37k miles. Degradation on those are 2.5% and 4.9%, respectively.

Asked the service manager and he pulled my cars info and the B pack and drivetrain are original to the vehicle with no work done to them.