TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

1% degradation after 51k miles on 85 B pack

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JPUConn, Oct 8, 2016.

1. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

IMG_6441.jpg

Heading out on a 240 mile round trip drive today and just range charged.

My car is a CPO S85 and when purchased in June at 46k miles was showing 260 at 100%. I don't know how the prior owner treated the battery but do know my battery and drivetrain are original to the car with a B pack battery.

Now at 51k and it's reading 262 ratedThat's just over 1% degradation in 51k miles / 3.5 years!

• Informative x 1
  2. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

That's very reassuring and thanks for sharing.

3. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Nice scenic fall drive to a family get together with no real range anxiety (or I'm just crazy).

Stats for the trip:
    IMG_6469.jpg

On the way to our destination I was conviently following a charter bus and managed some very nice efficiency. After the bus parted ways there was an 18 wheeler not far off to help.

IMG_6443.JPG

My "hypermiling" adventure stopped when we happened to be a few miles from the Auburn, MA supercharger on our route and one of the kids needed a diaper change. That 10 minute diaper change (can't just take one of the 3 kids out of the car) added 27 miles of blissful buffer. After that the ac went on, speed increased by ~10 mph, displays no longer dimmed, and range mode off.

While at my destination I plugged into an outlet to sip a 10 more buffer miles. The downside was folks new to Tesla asking and assuming that I need to plug in any time I park the car but the payoff was being able to enjoy the drive home and not worry about efficiency. Arrived home with 14% left on the pack.

IMG_6470.jpg

4. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

What app are you using?

5. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Hyper milling and 18 wheeler? You're brave!
    The amount of debris their tires kick up makes me stay far away from them.

• Like x 1
  7. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

#7 Sharkbait, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    I agree. I understand the whole hyper milling thing but not worth all the road debris kicking up. I would be curious about charging technique and best practices for charging. I'm only charging to 90% presently.

8. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

That doesn't mean anything in reality. The displayed range is by no means accurate enough to determine battery degradation. You're measuring millimeters with a yard stick.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. walla2

walla2 Member

914.4 mm in that yard stick.

What number would you propose us use since we don't have immediate access to better numbers? I'd say his pack is pretty healthy overall.

• Like x 2
  10. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Roads were clear and dry, and my car came with some rock chips already so a few more won't bother me.

I often charge to 80-90% depending on planned activity. My soc is typically between 40-80%.

Range charges and using the majority of the available pack energy is an exception as I have destination charging options at my most common distance locations.

I too would like to understand if there are better practices - is it better to range charge to make it back vs supercharge mid trip?

11. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

#12 eye.surgeon, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    You can't. Not determinable by the end user without deep access to pack analysis and testing.

12. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

You sure the previous owner didn't get a pack replacement?

I have two 2013 cars with 85kWh B packs, one with 13k miles and one with 37k miles. Degradation on those are 2.5% and 4.9%, respectively.

13. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Asked the service manager and he pulled my cars info and the B pack and drivetrain are original to the vehicle with no work done to them.

14. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

Quite the gem then.

• Like x 1
  15. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  16. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Sweet. My 2013 with 52k miles gives me 263 miles at a 100% charge. Good to know there are other well-kept battery packs out there like mine!

• Like x 1