Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 Million Miles? What are you on track for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Elon has talked about developing a million mile motor, but I’ve never seen a claim they have it. Could you direct mo to it? There are diesels that can make it now if run conservatively and maintained on schedule. Big electric motors in industry often run for decades with little maintenance. It can be done. The biggest problem is the way some drivers abuse their cars- especially true of Tesla owners and the stoplight gp.

I think it has been established. I posted the numbers. Its unfortunate that you are one in 130k+, however there has already been an accumulative 1million miles driven by 3's.

Now....we have to wait and watch the next million come in .5 years instead of a year ( as deliveries keep flying out of the Fremont door ).

Pretty sure there is an accumulative 1 million miles driven by 3's per day....sooo the next million will come today...and then again tomorrow...

So wait....a million miles a day and they are defective?

I can't remember....who said that there is a problem with design and such? Was that @SSedan ?
I am generally in agreement with you that it is likely that the Model 3 will far surpass a typical ICE in terms of mileage. But your argument that a car will get to 1 million miles, because the fleet puts on 1 million miles per day, is dubious at best. At 130k Models 3's on the road, 1 million miles means an average of just less than 8 miles per vehicle. Certainly not indicative of the vehicles ability to hit 1 million miles. Again, I am in the camp that suggests Model 3 will far outlast any other ICE vehicle...

So wait....a million miles a day and they are defective?

I can't remember....who said that there is a problem with design and such? Was that @SSedan ?

No I made so such claim the design was defective. I said there is no real world testing to back it up, your million miles a day analogy over the 130k fleet is asinine at best. That is like claiming my daughter's bicycle will go a million miles because they built 2 million of them and they all went half a mile.

The point I made was there is a lot more to a car than propulsion, and those things fail too and those things Tesla has not really innovated, those things will kill the car even if the motor goes a million PER UNIT.

I am generally in agreement with you that it is likely that the Model 3 will far surpass a typical ICE in terms of mileage. But your argument that a car will get to 1 million miles, because the fleet puts on 1 million miles per day, is dubious at best. At 130k Models 3's on the road, 1 million miles means an average of just less than 8 miles per vehicle. Certainly not indicative of the vehicles ability to hit 1 million miles. Again, I am in the camp that suggests Model 3 will far outlast any other ICE vehicle...

No...no.....

Quote me correctly.

I didn't says that a car will reach 1 million miles BECAUSE the fleet did.

I said that the fleet has reached 1 million miles - that's a step in the right direction.

No I made so such claim the design was defective. I said there is no real world testing to back it up, your million miles a day analogy over the 130k fleet is asinine at best. That is like claiming my daughter's bicycle will go a million miles because they built 2 million of them and they all went half a mile.

The point I made was there is a lot more to a car than propulsion, and those things fail too and those things Tesla has not really innovated, those things will kill the car even if the motor goes a million PER UNIT.

My point is this: Without real-world data you can't prove anything either way. "No real-world data" works in Tesla's favor at this point. ICE cars can't say the same - because there IS real world data that says they that none of them will probably last a million miles.

We CANT say that the cars "WILL" or "WON'T" definitely reach 1 million miles.

However I can indeed say that 1 million miles is my objective and everything is currently working in such a way across the fleet that would support that.

Yes I am because people were making the million mile claim on the S as well.
Besides you know how absurd it is to make the claim on a car that is just a year old and I haven't heard of one hitting 100K yet. They start hitting 300K in volume and let's revisit, till then it is just a pipe dream.

Even things like the windshield on basically all cars could use replacement by 200k due to etching by road debris. Rubber bushings fail, the plastic bushings in power seat sliders wear and crack, window switches. Cars wear out when a lot of little crap makes them not worth the hassle anymore.

I have experience daily driving cars over 200K miles only because I could do the repairs myself. People who are paying for labor ditch a car once the repair labor begins to approach a significant portion of the vehicle value, and labor is expensive. They have a 15yo car and put up with the heater only working on the top 3 speeds, the AC being marginal, the back left window not going down, the seats wobbling and then the repair shop says they need $1500 in brake work because the soft lines are bulging and the caliper bleeders seized, rotors worn down and instead of spending the money they ditch it. Aside from rust every car is million mile capable in you replace enough parts along the way.

Well said. My guess what will end most Tesla’s is in the long run is failed wiring and/or CPU processors. And I’ll add rodents will have an impact. Most modern wiring use soy based insulators. Rodents love to chew on soft and hard stuff. Cars offer shelter, protection, and stuff to chew on. Let’s just say $10k-15k+ for new wiring harnesses on a 15 year old 3 with 150k miles may end with stick a fork in it. Also how many people do you know with a 10-15+ year old computer they still use daily? I hope key wiring, processors, and even heater/AC are designed to be easily replaced.

Overall I think the Tesla is a great car but I’m concerned in the long run what repairs I’ll be able to do on my own. I’ll also add I do most repairs and scheduled mainternace on all our vehicles (yes even Porsche, MB, Audi, Lexus,...). That is The only reason we have kept our 2004 MB e class as long as we have (also it’s been amazingly reliable). Just last month cranked but wouldn’t start (for the first time ever). I thought it was most likely the crank shaft sensor. Went by the dealer they told me $300 to look at it, ~$1000 if it’s the crank sensor. $94 for the part and 2 hours of my time and the sensor fixed it. Now I’m due for pads and rotors. I bought the parts for $300. My local shop I use wanted $1500, dealer wanted $2500. So what I’m getting at if I didn’t do my own work just the last 6 months I’d be out $3-5k+ on a 14 year old car worth $6k. And if you think Tesla’s won’t need brake work and sensors you are mistaken.

I know Elon has talked about developing a million mile motor, but I’ve never seen a claim they have it. Could you direct mo to it? There are diesels that can make it now if run conservatively and maintained on schedule. Big electric motors in industry often run for decades with little maintenance. It can be done. The biggest problem is the way some drivers abuse their cars- especially true of Tesla owners and the stoplight gp.
I believe that Elon said at the reveal that Tesla Semi will be warranted to a million miles, and Semi is powered by four Model 3 motors.
While a genius marketing move, I think that Tesla has either underpriced, or overwarranted, the Tesla Semi; its customers are saying the Semi will payback in two years. No need to price it so low. As a shareholder, I hope Tesla raises prices on Semi really quickly so that customers are not enjoying a payback period that is shorter than necessary to still achieve the sale and a delighted customer.

Reactions: KootsChewt
I believe that Elon said at the reveal that Tesla Semi will be warranted to a million miles, and Semi is powered by four Model 3 motors.
While a genius marketing move, I think that Tesla has either underpriced, or overwarranted, the Tesla Semi; its customers are saying the Semi will payback in two years. No need to price it so low. As a shareholder, I hope Tesla raises prices on Semi really quickly so that customers are not enjoying a payback period that is shorter than necessary to still achieve the sale and a delighted customer.
If it’s all true I think he is doing it to get the massive number of pollution spewing semis off the road and switched out. Basically making it a “no brainer” so the vast majority of fleet trucks will have no reason not to dump their diesels.

Reactions: israndy
Just replying to an amusing misread of the title (my first read)…

I don't think I'll live long enough -- especially with the appropriate reflexes and vision -- to achieve 1 million track miles in a Tesla.

"Show your work". Okay, okay….

Rough calculation (with some generous numbers):
Code:
80 mi/day = 2 mi/lap * 10 laps/session * 4 sessions/day
Code:
120 years = 1e6 mil / (80 mi/day) / (2 days/weekend x 52 weekends/year)

If it’s all true I think he is doing it to get the massive number of pollution spewing semis off the road and switched out. Basically making it a “no brainer” so the vast majority of fleet trucks will have no reason not to dump their diesels.
I'm more of a mind that he's rewarding the early adopters and will quickly either raise prices or reduce warranties on second-wave and subsequent Semi customers. Let the skeptics pay full freight, in other words. (pun intended)

Reactions: coleAK
Simple:

I'm a 13 week owner of my P3D+.

Total miles to date = 13,275.

@ 1000 miles per week average ….. 1 million miles = 19 years.

I have no clue about Model 3 mileage averages. Care to report in?

We're right there with you. 13 weeks and 11,000 miles. We're on track for the following:
  • 500 miles this weekend
  • 1,750 miles weekend of December 8th
  • 2,200 miles between Christmas and Jan 2nd
With random driving around and commuting, that'll bring us to 18,000 miles in 18 weeks. :eek:

I think we'll end up somewhere around 40,000 miles per year.

Last edited: