Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10/16/18 Is LTE out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much area can you cache like that.

A lot -- or as far as your full battery will take you since by that time you will be at a supercharger (cell coverage) or wifi (my cabin) -- but remember to zoom in and it takes some time to cache it all if you want detail.

Or does it all clear when you park the car?

Yes -- it's gone if the car goes off. If I have to take a wiz, window down, key in cup holder (I'm paranoid of being locked out with no cell phone coverage but I can't have the car go off) -- then wiz and get back in. If it turns off - it's gone.

Or is it only MCU2 feature?

Mine's a no-AP early 2014 S so no MCU2 needed. I have yet to try it with our 3 since I mostly take the S on road trips but I can't see why it wouldn't do the same.

Edit -- my above comments all apply to versions before 9, which my S only recently took, and it's really screwed up the functionality of the maps -- and pretty much everything else too. I can't believe how bad this update is for us Classic owners. Every version has been worse than v6 that came with my car in early 2014 but this one takes the cake for being the worst yet. I'm hoping the cache still works like before since the maps do not. I think Tesla is trying to limit data use since they hid the browser and it takes a bunch of swipes just to try to get it so you can see it, and no more full screen. What a mess! I wish I never took it!

Last edited:
Edit -- my above comments all apply to versions before 9, which my S only recently took, and it's really screwed up the functionality of the maps -- and pretty much everything else too. I can't believe how bad this update is for us Classic owners. Every version has been worse than v6 that came with my car in early 2014 but this one takes the cake for being the worst yet. I'm hoping the cache still works like before since the maps do not. I think Tesla is trying to limit data use since they hid the browser and it takes a bunch of swipes just to try to get it so you can see it, and no more full screen. What a mess! I wish I never took it!
It's not just the "classic" owners. My AP1 enabled car got worse with v9 too. My wife's AP2 car got blind spot detection, but other than that she hates it too. They could have just added blind spot detection to 8.1.