Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10/16/18 Is LTE out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little late to the thread, but I was fine this morning when I drove to work 6am to 7am pacific and while picking up lunch, 11:45am to 12:05pm. Central Valley CA area though.

For those of you saying your phone is fine, but the car isn't - All Teslas proxy through the mothership for their data connection... So you can still have LTE service connected, but your VPN connection to Teslas proxy is out, which means no data for you. That's why your phone works, but your car doesn't.

Not sure if they have multiple motherships, as mine was not having any problems, at least at the times listed above. If they're all routed to the mothership and then proxied from there then I would have had the issue as well, but I did not. Again, unless they have multiple hubs for checking in at which are more localized.

Weird outage for sure though.

Agreed!

Came back shortly after I posted that while waiting for the park film in Badlands NP (one of the few parks with good cell coverage in the paved areas and WiFi in the visitor center). Except for a slow load of music on one short stretch, been working great since then.

As for maps, yeah, just grey tiles unless connected. Wish they would predictively buffer if destination or direction of travel would be out of cell coverage. Either that or play down the nav screen prominence/give us alternate views (no I don’t want the backup camera but, yeah, I guess w/v9, there will be energy to stare at). Problem is, I’d want to know when the map was available again.

Evidently you never a drive Tesla with no internet. Navigation (on the instrument cluster) will still work, but the map on the main screen show grey tiles as you move out of the area where you lost connectivity.

Yes, but before you lose cell coverage, you can go to the areas on the map where you are driving until the tiles come in. Zoom in to what you want, and it will be there when you lose coverage, so you don't get the blank tiles. If there's no cell coverage but wifi, you can also do it before you leave to wherever you're going.

Yes, but before you lose cell coverage, you can go to the areas on the map where you are driving until the tiles come in. Zoom in to what you want, and it will be there when you lose coverage, so you don't get the blank tiles. If there's no cell coverage but wifi, you can also do it before you leave to wherever you're going.
How much area can you cache like that. I recently had a brief LTE outage and even though I was driving through an area I often drive (so by what you describe the car should have had the map stored), the tiles were grey. Or does it all clear when you park the car? Or is it only MCU2 feature?

Tesla could avoid calls by just pushing out an outage notification.

Yes, agreed. I was on hold for almost an hour for Tesla tech support, and then I found this thread on the outage. They acknowledged the outage but wanted to know where exactly I was at for their log.......maybe they are still trying to locate where the outages are.