Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10 day old MYP rear motor replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new MYP less than 150 miles driven. Thumping /clicking noise when accelerating from stop or when accelerator is released and the vehicle comes to a stop. No noise if the vehicle is already moving and accelerator is pressed /released. Service center able to reproduce the noise and is stating rear drive motor needs to be replaced ☹️. Will need 10ndays to order replace.
Video of noise here :
Had anyone gone something similar where the motor was replaced? Did it resolve the issue? I am bummed that the QA did not catch this and now I need to go through this. Any gotchas I should be aware of with a major part replacement? How do I ensure its a brand new motor and not refurbished. Thanks!

Reactions: thefisch
I was carpet bombed by at least 15 pigeons as you can see—5 minutes I hit a bump, lost a motor. I pulled over to restart. During the restart heard a loud bang in the back and the car went into brick mode. Thankfully I got it into tow mode before the 12v died . It only has 480 miles on
I know stuff happens but damn—I’m pretty bummed. The problem is I was 100 miles from home—hopefully they work with me.
Anyone have any experience with this situation?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1FA7AB4B-0B79-4453-B336-8F36491F9ABB.jpeg
    1FA7AB4B-0B79-4453-B336-8F36491F9ABB.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 107
I was carpet bombed by at least 15 pigeons as you can see—5 minutes I hit a bump, lost a motor. I pulled over to restart. During the restart heard a loud bang in the back and the car went into brick mode. Thankfully I got it into tow mode before the 12v died . It only has 480 miles on
I know stuff happens but damn—I’m pretty bummed. The problem is I was 100 miles from home—hopefully they work with me.
Anyone have any experience with this situation?
Thanks!
If the damage was caused by hitting a "bump" (must have been a pretty big one) you would more than likely need to pay out of pocket or contact your insurance company. OP had a warranty issue.

Brand new MYP less than 150 miles driven. Thumping /clicking noise when accelerating from stop or when accelerator is released and the vehicle comes to a stop. No noise if the vehicle is already moving and accelerator is pressed /released. Service center able to reproduce the noise and is stating rear drive motor needs to be replaced ☹️. Will need 10ndays to order replace.
Video of noise here :
Had anyone gone something similar where the motor was replaced? Did it resolve the issue? I am bummed that the QA did not catch this and now I need to go through this. Any gotchas I should be aware of with a major part replacement? How do I ensure its a brand new motor and not refurbished. Thanks!
Curious about which motor you have/had. Check the AP04 (HW4) VIN Lookup - Part 2 subreddit thread and provide them with your VIN. It should tell you if you had the RD07 (New Revision) or RD06 (Older/Current). Maybe you got a bad RD07 (IDK).