Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$100 Order fee is a fee, and not a deposit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone else notice that the $100 ordering fee is actually a fee and not a deposit like it used to be? I saw on the final financial paperwork that after the base price of the car was calculated, an additional +$100 line item was added labeled Order Fee.

Then at the bottom -$100 credit applied (since i already paid the order fee).

But ultimately, the final price paid was increased by $100 versus just the price of the car. I saw a lot of people discussing it like it was a deposit, but it looks like it is actually as stated : A fee.

Mine reflects "Order Deposit $100", I don't have anything regarding an order fee. That $100 is also deducted from my total. I ordered about 2 days or so after they changed the deposit from $2500 to $100 only because I didn't want to not get a vehicle by year end.

Sounds like the key point with yours is that you started with the $2,500 deposit. So perhaps since you had a pre-existing order you were not charged the "fee" and allowed to keep it as a true deposit. Seems like anyone ordering later is stuck with paying the additional fee.

Edit: Woops i Misread your post. It looks like you ordered 2 days after the $2,500 deposit disappeared! Very interesting that you still have the option for a deposit instead of getting stuck with the fee!

Sounds like the key point with yours is that you started with the $2,500 deposit. So perhaps since you had a pre-existing order you were not charged the "fee" and allowed to keep it as a true deposit. Seems like anyone ordering later is stuck with paying the additional fee.
I didn't start with the $2,500 deposit, I wish I did that's a some credit card points I missed out on there. I didn't have any pre existing orders. I started two days after they changed the deposit amount to $100. I'd put all of this down to Tesla making it up as they go along assuming it's changed? Either way I'd ask Tesla what's going on. I'll check my final MVPA just in case someone adjusts it and that suddenly becomes a fee.

I didn't start with the $2,500 deposit, I wish I did that's a some credit card points I missed out on there. I didn't have any pre existing orders. I started two days after they changed the deposit amount to $100. I'd put all of this down to Tesla making it up as they go along assuming it's changed? Either way I'd ask Tesla what's going on. I'll check my final MVPA just in case someone adjusts it and that suddenly becomes a fee.

I wonder if this might have to do with state law. In California a non-refundable deposit is illegal. So maybe they got around that by just turning into a fee. In states where a non-refundable deposit is legal then they keep it as a deposit? I don't know about the law in your state, but perhaps it allows for non-refundable deposits!

• Disagree
Reactions: EVDRVN and Gasaraki
I wonder if this might have to do with state law. In California a non-refundable deposit is illegal. So maybe they got around that by just turning into a fee. In states where a non-refundable deposit is legal then they keep it as a deposit? I don't know about the law in your state, but perhaps it allows for non-refundable deposits!
That's possible however Florida isn't exactly known for having consumer protection at the top of it's list lol. I'll find out in about a week when they finalize my MVPA. I'm not too worried about $100, if it becomes a fee I'll ask them to remove it. Worst they can do is say no.

If $100 is going to impact your financial situation, then maybe the truck isn't a solution for you. It's refundable, maybe time to avail yourself of the option.

Huh? This is the model 3 forum and the observation has nothing to do with the truck. It is well known that the $100 order fee (for model 3) is non-refundable. Perhaps you are replying to the wrong thread?

Is this thread about the truck or model 3?
All I know is when my wife ordered her SR+ 10 days after me is when Tesla changed the $2,500 deposit to a nonrefundable deposit of $100 (not a fee).
This was on 10-18-19 in California:
upload_2019-11-27_5-25-26.png

Is this thread about the truck or model 3?
All I know is when my wife ordered her SR+ 10 days after me is when Tesla changed the $2,500 deposit to a nonrefundable deposit of $100 (not a fee).
This was on 10-18-19 in California:

Wow that's really interesting since you're also in California. This is what mine looks like -- completely different from yours! I think i better ask the SA about the difference. Ordered around 11/10 for me. Maybe it was just the time difference!

Order Fee.PNG

I had the same situation today. My MVPA was uploaded and the price was $100 more than what showed on the my account page (which had the -$100 order deposit). I asked the delivery center person (who sent me the MVPA) about this and he said they're having issues with the document generating system doing this. I had already received a cashier's check for the down payment amount minus $100, so he said that they would adjust it at time of pick up and I wouldn't need to pay the extra $100. Not sure if everyone's situation is the same, but I recommend contacting your delivery center and asking them about this. They should be able to fix it/waive it at the time of pick up

Did anyone else notice that the $100 ordering fee is actually a fee and not a deposit like it used to be? I saw on the final financial paperwork that after the base price of the car was calculated, an additional +$100 line item was added labeled Order Fee.

Then at the bottom -$100 credit applied (since i already paid the order fee).

But ultimately, the final price paid was increased by $100 versus just the price of the car. I saw a lot of people discussing it like it was a deposit, but it looks like it is actually as stated : A fee.

I noticed a similar fee yesterday as well. I guess that's part of the Tesla sales model: not only can they provide instant software updates, they can change the terms of sale in an instant too. I guess they can afford to do this now, but we'll see how they fare in a couple of years when they have real competition.

Reactions: Jamezam
It appears the intention of the order fee was to make it non-refundable to reduce the number of non-serious buyers placing deposits and then cancelling or just not moving forward. If you purchase the car the $100 is applied toward the purchase price via a credit. If you don’t purchase the car, in theory Tesla keeps the $100. However a few people have posted here that Tesla has refunded their $100.

With the Cybertruck the $100 is clearly stated as refundable, as it should be since final specs have not been published yet and no definitive date has been provided.

Reactions: Gasaraki and Sherlo