Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1000 mile review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at the stage to DocuSign for the Tesla and was debating on whether to upgrade my Porsche 991 (MY2012)to a 991 Turbo when they come out or buy the Model S. Tomorrow I will most likely sign and get the Tesla. I have not driven a Model s yet, so I cannot compare the two cars. I will say the Porsche is fantastic. It is overall a better 911 (imho) than the Porsche 997 TT I sold (MY2007) this past summer. My plan is to get the Tesla and keep the Porsche.

Quibbs - you will love the Tesla S. I ended up ordering the regular 85, not the Performance. We took an extended (1 hr) test drive in a S Performance between my wife and I, and I can truely say that the only experience that came close with regard to instantaneous acceleration was my past experience in Navy Fighters. I bet if you get the S, or S Performance, you will never look back.

Quibbs - you will love the Tesla S. I ended up ordering the regular 85, not the Performance. We took an extended (1 hr) test drive in a S Performance between my wife and I, and I can truely say that the only experience that came close with regard to instantaneous acceleration was my past experience in Navy Fighters. I bet if you get the S, or S Performance, you will never look back.

Just signed the docs....blue performance, black interior, Carbon fiber trim....almost, almost went all black, wonder if I changed my mind if they would let me...hehe

Enjoyable thread. I've now logged 3+ weeks on my Model S P85 (non-Perf). 850 miles. I have no regrets whatsoever. For you folks that have never driven the Model S, just know that the (non-Perf) accelerates like any V-8 I've ever driven, but smoother, without hesitation, and much quieter. The performance version is so close to the Tesla Roadster acceleration, that it must perform like an exotic.

But hey, it isn't only about the acceleration. On my test drive, I immediately noticed the awesome air suspension, combined with the low center of gravity. It's like riding a magic carpet. Every time you are expecting "sway", there isn't any. Amazing! We didn't want to deal with bike racks, so we bought two folding bikes (24" tires). Plenty of space for them in the rear, and we still have luggage space in the frunk. We don't even need to fold the 2nd row seats down! Infotainment screen and software - Awesome. Premium Audio - awesome! Slacker - Very nice.

The whole delivery experience was very good. Tesla shipped the car to my local Service Center (1 hour away), and the DS (Whitney) delivered the car to my house. If you are close enough to a Tesla Service Center, that's definitely the way to go. As a company, Tesla genuinely wants their customers to be completely satisfied. I don't know very many companies that actually care. These guys DO. And for that, they have my business.

Porsche vs Tesla

Agree.

And the fact that prior owners of Aston Martins, Maseratis, Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, etc have all declared the Tesla the hands down superior car makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Cheers.

I'm a Porchephile with an '07 997 Turbo, and as much as I'm interested in getting a Model S Performance as a family sedan (already put my reservation in), at this point, you're comparing apples and oranges. Porches are created to be terrific track cars first and foremost. When you buy a Porsche, you buy it for the 2/3 of the car that you never use on the street, for the ability to drive it to Laguna Seca and go 150 mph down the straightaway (or 189 mph if you can find a long enough runway) and take curves at insane speeds. Model S has outstanding performance for any car, but it is max speed limited and doesn't have anywhere the same kind of track suspension or handling as a Porsche. I'm not sure how long the Model S battery would last going full throttle at the track. I blow through a 16 gallon tank of gas after 80 miles at my local course. I love the Model S too, but lets not get too carried away. Maybe one day in the future they'll build a track worthy car and have an American Le Mans Series entry that competes with Porsches and Corvettes and BMWs for track worthiness. At this point the Model S will be a terrific and fun to drive cruiser that can win alot of stoplight drag races.

Good move. I came SO close to Blue/Black, but ended up going Black/Black (also with Carbon Fiber trim) because of how it looked with the 21" grey wheels. Congrats!

Lol. The grass is always greener on the other side isn't it ;)

I'm getting the grey wheels as well. Went blue for a couple of reasons. One, it looks black in certain lighting and blue in others. Secondly, it's metallic and not flat like the black so you get the sparkle of the flake. Having said that, the car looks incredible in black, which initially was my first choice. I would probably have less chance of buyers remorse with black than blue but I decided to roll the dice. There's a slight chance I may call Tesla and ask for a change to black, but not sure. lol

I'm a Porchephile with an '07 997 Turbo, and as much as I'm interested in getting a Model S Performance as a family sedan (already put my reservation in), at this point, you're comparing apples and oranges. Porches are created to be terrific track cars first and foremost. When you buy a Porsche, you buy it for the 2/3 of the car that you never use on the street, for the ability to drive it to Laguna Seca and go 150 mph down the straightaway (or 189 mph if you can find a long enough runway) and take curves at insane speeds. Model S has outstanding performance for any car, but it is max speed limited and doesn't have anywhere the same kind of track suspension or handling as a Porsche. I'm not sure how long the Model S battery would last going full throttle at the track. I blow through a 16 gallon tank of gas after 80 miles at my local course. I love the Model S too, but lets not get too carried away. Maybe one day in the future they'll build a track worthy car and have an American Le Mans Series entry that competes with Porsches and Corvettes and BMWs for track worthiness. At this point the Model S will be a terrific and fun to drive cruiser that can win alot of stoplight drag races.

Skintrade - I totally understand your feeling regarding Porsche cars. I too owned Porsches in the past in addition to multiple BMW M cars, the last of which was a 1M (which I sold this past weekend to make way for the S). The Model S will never be a track car - it was never intended to be. But, when comparing the Model S to an ICE car, as we did when we had the pleasure to have an extended test drive (1 hour) in a Model S Performance, I have to say that the driving experience is as you say - apples to oranges, and having tasted both fruits so to speak I know which table I will go to. There is just no comparison - in my opinion as to the INSTANTANEOUS TORQUE the Model S provides, which I have never experienced with Porsches and BMWs. I have had the opportunity to live abroad in Euorpe and had the experience of driving some pretty exotic cars. Again, a race track is a different experience (I have taught at BMW driving and safety schools). To me the biggest - I guess you could say - limiting factor for a "Fun Driving Experience" is the size of the Model S. But that is OK - I will take that compromise. Please do not take me wrong - the Porsche cars are wonderful cars, and I agree with you on this fact bigtime. It is just that the Model S and TESLA are a different Paradyme - and for me - I look forward to driving my S everyday when it comes in just a few weeks.

Have you driven the Model S?

I have not, but what I have read, I expect off the line performance to be as good as any sports car. But my point is, Porsches are foremost cars for the track, or at least track going abilities. You can't really compare a 911 to a Model S. Perhaps a Panamera vs Model S would be a better comparison. A 2013 Panamera Turbo S does 0-60 in 3.7 sec. Faster than my 997 Turbo and would kill the Model S on the track, but that's what you pay the extra 100K for. I suppose you could compare a Tesla roadster to a Boxter S. Not sure if they have ever been put head to head. Of course, the best is to have both a Porsche and a Tesla in the garage, which is my bold plan.:smile:

I have not, but what I have read, I expect off the line performance to be as good as any sports car. But my point is, Porsches are foremost cars for the track, or at least track going abilities. You can't really compare a 911 to a Model S. Perhaps a Panamera vs Model S would be a better comparison. A 2013 Panamera Turbo S does 0-60 in 3.7 sec. Faster than my 997 Turbo and would kill the Model S on the track, but that's what you pay the extra 100K for. I suppose you could compare a Tesla roadster to a Boxter S. Not sure if they have ever been put head to head. Of course, the best is to have both a Porsche and a Tesla in the garage, which is my bold plan.:smile:

I've seen on the forum that Tesla Model S--Performance can do 0-60 in 4 seconds flat or just under 4 seconds ( I know the spec sheet says 4.4 sec). Can anyone else confirm that? If so, I would not consider 4 secs vs. 3.7 secs as "kill the Model S on the track". I'm sure Panamera turbo S maybe faster, but slightly, I would say. But, then again, I'm not a car person, so maybe someone else can chime in....

I get the track part. I hardly think .2 or .3 seconds is "kill." Though that's not important to me anyway. Obviously the Porsche is a good choice for you if you want to go fast on a track. I think the Roadster would crush the Boxster S. Doesn't even seem like a close comparison. The Model S would crush the Boxster and I can carry 4 sets of golf clubs AND the accompanying foursome. Plus the Boxster is a girls car. :wink:
Please drive a Model S and report back.

Of course, the best is to have both a Porsche and a Tesla in the garage, which is my bold plan.

We have a Boxster S and a Model S in our garage. Net result? I haven't so much as touched the Boxster since the Model S entered the equation. Yes, there's a distinct novelty factor. It's also unseasonably cold so the convertible aspect isn't at all appealing at the moment. And no, I'm not likely to push either one to its limits in a track environment. So it will be interesting to see how I feel in a year's time – but there's something very anachronistic feeling about driving an internal combustion engine at the moment. Luckily the Model R is off in the distant future because I'd be awfully tempted by something like it today.

[EDIT: I was doing a dozen things this morning so I was actually still wrapping up this post when the one above it snuck in. Somewhat entertaining, with an undercurrent of irritating. Is the Boxster a "girl's car" because women are chronically underpaid relative to men but still appreciate good engineering, or did you have some other explanation in mind?]

Last edited:
rogbmw - Let's hope Tesla is successful enough in the future to put out some sort of exotic GT coupe. Even for the raceway, I think electrics and hybrids are the wave of the future as you can even see the direction Porsche is heading with their 918 Spyder. Have you driven the Roadster? Interested to hear how it has performed on the track.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, back to the original message of this thread, I'm interested in hearing more about Model S owners' experience with the reliability of the car. I have read in other threads about issues with the door handles. Would be inconvenient not to be able to get into the car and go to work one morning. I guess the other issue I keep hearing about is strange sounds coming from the car. Any issues with these during this 1000 mile experience? How common are these problems? I wonder if Tesla is doing anything in manufacturing to try to correct it.

rogbmw - Let's hope Tesla is successful enough in the future to put out some sort of exotic GT coupe. Even for the raceway, I think electrics and hybrids are the wave of the future as you can even see the direction Porsche is heading with their 918 Spyder. Have you driven the Roadster? Interested to hear how it has performed on the track.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, back to the original message of this thread, I'm interested in hearing more about Model S owners' experience with the reliability of the car. I have read in other threads about issues with the door handles. Would be inconvenient not to be able to get into the car and go to work one morning. I guess the other issue I keep hearing about is strange sounds coming from the car. Any issues with these during this 1000 mile experience? How common are these problems? I wonder if Tesla is doing anything in manufacturing to try to correct it.

Have you ever gone into an absolutely quiet library and sat a table for 10 or 15 minutes? You will start hearing all kinds of strange sounds. I'm still trying to get used to it in the Tesla. The reel for the driver-side seat belt (about 6 inches from my ear) makes a very slight squeak as it adjusts tension. Going to have the Ranger look at it, but I promise you that in my MB S550 it would never be heard, and it is a very quiet car. And my door handles have been flawless. And I have 4.1, 1.19.31.

Somewhat entertaining, with an undercurrent of irritating. Is the Boxster a "girl's car" because women are chronically underpaid relative to men but still appreciate good engineering, or did you have some other explanation in mind?]

I'm definitely not trying to irritate or hijack the thread. Especially on politics. It is what it is. Irritating or not. The Boxster is a girls car. Though stereotypes can be irritating, sometimes they become stereotypes because they are true.

We too are at almost 4 weeks, and 1100+ miles on our Signature Performance, the first delivery in western Canada. Our first week with the car was unfortunate. We are adventurous folk, and attempted a 900 mile road trip to eastern WA in winter weather just 3 days after pickup in Vancouver.

Alas, 200 miles in, the car threw a cascade of warnings, and after we stopped to charge, she refused to go any further. Tesla pulled the logs from the car before we had even made the stop, and the Seattle service center was alerted and called us. The logs showed a previously unknown hardware fault, so the car had to go back to Seattle on a flatbed. Tesla rented us a car, covered our extra night's lodging, and kept us informed every few hours, while we continued to my wife's parents' in an agonizingly dull ICE SUV and enjoyed a great family Christmas. The only pall over Christmas was that everyone was so disappointed not to see and ride in our Model S.

On Christmas eve, a Tesla design engineer in the charger group fingered the problem to a minor component, easily swapped out, and after a four day hiatus, our Model S ownership was re-started on firmer ground. I tell this story in this thread, just to honestly include an example of a rare early disabling problem. According to Tesla Service, such disabling problems have affected only 1% of the first ~2500 deliveries. For a new company with a revolutionary car architecture in a brand new factory, with recently trained workers, this is really quite amazing.

Were we a little disappointed, sure. But the honour of being an early adopter of such a phenomenal automobile is absolutely worth it in the end. I am glad that the problem happened to us, with our patience and tech savvy, and enthusiasm for the company. Tesla service, especially James Maddux and his boss Carl Medlock, handled us with grace, professionalism and kindness, under extreme pressure to deliver the Q4 quota, and somehow enjoy the holidays just a little with their own families. Bravo, we say!

So beyond this rough start, how has the car been for us? Just as the OP said-- it is a marvel of conception, design, utility, beauty, comfort, and performance. I too, am a "car guy", having owned a Ferrari 360, a Mercedes SLK, an Audi A8, a Lancia Zagato, a Mitsubishi 3000 and others. The Model S is head and shoulders over all of them in overall quality of ownership. It is the first vehicle that is truly of this century, and an extraordinary accomplishment for the team that created it.

i believe that there is such a thing as being an entrepreneurial customer. Buying this car now for me was an act of willing a brighter future. I fully embrace participation in improving Tesla and its products by being a thoughtful, obsevant and communicative owner. Many scoff at the perils and inconveniences of being an early adopter. I scoff at the cynism and fear that refuses to accept the possibilities of innovation writ large.

Is the Boxster a "girl's car" because women are chronically underpaid relative to men but still appreciate good engineering, or did you have some other explanation in mind?]

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!!!!!!!!!!!

Al Sherman...

you-got-knocked-the-fugg-out-o.gif

- - - Updated - - -

I'm definitely not trying to irritate or hijack the thread. Especially on politics. It is what it is. Irritating or not. The Boxster is a girls car. Though stereotypes can be irritating, sometimes they become stereotypes because they are true.

please backup your assertion with sales figures about Porsche owners.

otherwise, it's laughable to follow up "it is what it is" with an opinion. you can say, "well, in my opinion, the Boxster is a girls car." but until you put up some numbers, that AIN'T "what it is".

btw - the Boxster is a great sports car, regardless of sex. in fact, i plan on buying the new model next year, over a 911 (can afford either). does that make me a girl?

Boxster vs. Roadster has been done by Motortrend. :)
2010 Tesla Roadster Sport vs 2011 Porsche Boxster Comparison - Motor Trend