Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100A breaker Wall Connector only charging Model 3 at 12A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my wall connector installed a few weeks ago on a new dedicated 100A circuit but didn't have a chance to test it before taking delivery yesterday. When I plug in, it only charges at 12A. No error message or anything.

I initially assumed/hoped the electrician simply forgot to set the rotary dial from (default?) 12A to the 100A breaker setting. Can anyone suggest any other causes?

I'm trying to get into the WC myself to check the rotary dial, but I can only figure out how to get the four side screws out. There seems to be something holding things together from underneath, such that I can't access the 'front' of the wall connector where I assume the rotary dial is located. Any insight into how I get into it?

And, yes, I flipped the breaker on the WC circuit before taking a screwdriver to the charger :)

I had my wall connector installed a few weeks ago on a new dedicated 100A circuit but didn't have a chance to test it before taking delivery yesterday. When I plug in, it only charges at 12A. No error message or anything.

I initially assumed/hoped the electrician simply forgot to set the rotary dial from (default?) 12A to the 100A breaker setting. Can anyone suggest any other causes?

I'm trying to get into the WC myself to check the rotary dial, but I can only figure out how to get the four side screws out. There seems to be something holding things together from underneath, such that I can't access the 'front' of the wall connector where I assume the rotary dial is located. Any insight into how I get into it?

And, yes, I flipped the breaker on the WC circuit before taking a screwdriver to the charger :)
Likely the dial setting. It defaults to 15a breaker.

Assuming you have the latest version of the WC -

The manual and video is at this link -

Installation Manuals - Wall Connector

Also if you have one dead leg, it will default to 12 A, but above @brkaus is correct, the installer likely did not read the directions and did not set the incoming amperage properly. Either way, you should have the electrician back and correct his work.

Thanks. He's been fully willing to come back and correct it, but I thought I might save him a trip if I could find a quick fix myself. In the meantime, it's a little painful having what was supposed to be a future-proofed setup charge at the same speed as a 110v outlet :).

Thanks. He's been fully willing to come back and correct it, but I thought I might save him a trip if I could find a quick fix myself. In the meantime, it's a little painful having what was supposed to be a future-proofed setup charge at the same speed as a 110v outlet :).
It's always that dial setting, so yeah, it would be a quick fix if you can get in there. This same problem is posted about every other week. And by the way, it is about double the speed as a regular outlet, because it is 240V instead of 120V, even though they are both at 12A.

Reactions: rounderjd
I had the same problem with my wall connector.

Note that some of the screws are security torx, and you will need to get a special screwdriver set to remove them.

I bought my HPWC a couple of weeks ago and it will be installed on Monday. I was about to go buy a security torx driver so I could set the amperage ahead of time, but then I realized they include 2 bits in the packaging. Included is a T10 security bit for the silver cover (even though that one doesn't require a security driver) and a T20 security bit for the 6 screws securing the black cover.

I bought my HPWC a couple of weeks ago and it will be installed on Monday. I was about to go buy a security torx driver so I could set the amperage ahead of time, but then I realized they include 2 bits in the packaging. Included is a T10 security bit for the silver cover (even though that one doesn't require a security driver) and a T20 security bit for the 6 screws securing the black cover.

Correct. I'm not sure where I put mine after the installation, but thankfully the electrician who came back this morning to fix it had recently acquired an extra security bit.

As expected, it was simply the rotary dial setting. As soon as we adjusted that, the Model 3 accepted charging at 48A at 240V for the full 11.5kW. Ramped up pretty quickly with no noticeable light flickering in the house. I'll be interested in experimenting a bit with the A/C and other large power draws running to see how 'smart' the WC is.

There is no “smart” in the WC.

If the Tesla detects significant voltage drop it will scale back for safety.

It’s up to the installer to verify proper capacity is available. Much like someone that installs a hot tub, new AC unit, or any circuit.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H