Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12A at 110V slow charging: 3% takes 7 hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a mobile connector on a ~12A circuit which charges my Model Y from 70% to 80% in 4-6 hours.

When I plugged it in tonight I noticed that it’ll take 7 hours to go from 77% to 80%. It still shows 12A at 110V. Everything plugged in correctly. Any thoughts?

IMG_7053.jpeg

Not unexpected. Let’s see: 15A socket; check. Max draw by NEC code: 12A, check. (80% of 15A).

Power into the car: 120V x 12A = 1440W, check.

Car’s rating per mile: 280W-hr/mile.

Miles of charge per hour: 1440/280 = 5.1 miles/hour.

Car’s range rating: assuming 330 miles.

Percent per hour: 5/330 = 1.5%/hr.

What you’re getting: 10% in 5 hours = about 2%/hr.

Working pretty much as advertised.

This is why something like a NEMA14-50, which, with a mobile connector, can deliver 32A@240VAC = 7680W, is so much faster: that’s 27.4 Miles of charge per hour, 8.4%/hr, and in 5 hours, that’s 42%. A Wall Connector on a 60A, 240VAC circuit. Which can deliver 48A, gives 11.52kW, 41 miles/hr, 12.1%/hr, and about 62% in 5 hours.

Finally: the other reason a 120@12A charging rate isn’t such a great idea happens to be cold weather. Below freezing somewhere the car has to warm the battery in order to charge it. I’ve actually seen the charge rate on a 120@12A circuit decline to 1 mile of charge per hour at 20F ambient, or less. The power available at 240VAC is more than enough to warm the battery so that kind of problem is minimized.

If this is a dedicated outlet and you have access to the panel, might be worth changing to a 240v breaker and swapping the outlet for a Nema 6-15. Or 6-20 if it happens to be 12ga wire in there. Upgrade could be done for <$50 and it would increase your charging speed significantly.
I don’t have discrete access to the breaker panel. I do have a 240v/50a Wall Charger at my house. I thought buying a Mobile Charger to use free 120v electricity at my hangar was a good idea. Nope, the payback on the price of the mobile charger is about 44 years.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
I’m five hangars from the breaker box, ~260’. I think the length of the run is killing me.
Is the current 120V (~110V) circuit dedicated to EV charging? If there are no other receptacles/devices on the same circuit then the circuit can be easily converted to a 240V (~220V) circuit without any additional wiring. That would double the power available for charging to ~2.4kW (up from the current estimated maximum of 1.2kW) and cut the charging time in half.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Is the current 120V (~110V) circuit dedicated to EV charging? If there are no other receptacles/devices on the same circuit then the circuit can be easily converted to a 240V (~220V) circuit without any additional wiring. That would double the power available for charging to ~2.4kW (up from the current estimated maximum of 1.2kW) and cut the charging time in half.
No. The outlets in four hangars are on the same circuit. Microwaves, refrigerators, coffee makers, tools…

There is no such thing as 110v/220v in the U.S., it's been 120v/240v for many, many, many decades now.
Preach brother! I fear it is a lost cause though. I’m going to start taking about 100v/200v just to be a dick. If I do that often enough someone will say something like, “but wait what is the correct voltage number?” My life will be complete at that point.