Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D vs 90D pricing around the world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am trying to figure out Teslas 100D vs 90D pricing policy.

US + $ 3,000 plus tax.
GB + £ 3,000 incl. tax ($ 3,760)
Germany + € 7,000 incl. tax ($ 7,700) o_O

What is the price difference for clicking the 100D button in your part of the world?

Elon said that the currency exchange rate has been taken into account in the 100D pricing but has not been rolled in to the other models yet which is why the 100D upgrade costs significantly more in the non-US countries.

@HendrikStruik The 100D price takes into account exchange rate shifts, whereas other vehicle prices haven't yet been adjusted

So the price of a 90D may increase soon in some countries. (We have heard a rumor of a coming 3% price increase.)

I find that hard to fathom.

The difference in price in NZ is NZ$11800 which is US$8552 at the current exchange rate. However, the NZ dollar has strengthened against the US dollar so over the last few months we could buy more US $ with NZ$. In that case, the price of the 90D should be going DOWN for us, which means that the price difference will be even greater after the adjustment.

Elon said that the currency exchange rate has been taken into account in the 100D pricing but has not been rolled in to the other models yet which is why the 100D upgrade costs significantly more in the non-US countries.

So the price of a 90D may increase soon in some countries. (We have heard a rumor of a coming 3% price increase.)

Sorry but that does not compute at all. As this Twitter user has also replied.

I find that hard to fathom.

The difference in price in NZ is NZ$11800 which is US$8552 at the current exchange rate. However, the NZ dollar has strengthened against the US dollar so over the last few months we could buy more US $ with NZ$. In that case, the price of the 90D should be going DOWN for us, which means that the price difference will be even greater after the adjustment.

You aren't taking into account hedging.

You aren't taking into account hedging.

I'm not a business student or have a job in the stock/finance/insurance sectors. However, after reading up a little bit about what hedging is it has affirmed my belief that the stock market is one f*cked up, perversely shrewd means of trading in non-existent resources and trading in resources that DO exist without any thought for their real-world use and the potentially disastrous effect on the economies/environment/people that those value manipulations may have, only to serve peoples financial interests and make already rich people even more insensibly rich. But, that's capitalism for you.

What I like about Tesla is that, at least on the surface, they are in the business of trying to make the world a better place. Earning a profit is secondary to that, and only serves to accelerate their goals. Most other businesses aren't like that as is one of the major reasons why my next car/PV system/storage battery will be a Tesla. I trust that Telsa will have fair pricing practices and if Elon thinks it is reasonable for NZ'ers to pay $5500 more than Americans for the pleasure of 10kWh extra battery capacity then I will just have to accept that there must be a valid and fair reason for that. Perhaps the extra shipping cost is included in the cost of the more expensive parts.

I certainly would not be able to afford this extra cost, so Tesla won't see me plunking down that sort of money.

It is interesting to note however that a replacement Nissan Leaf battery would cost in the vicinity of $10000. But that's for 24kWh of capacity. That would make Teslas 10kWh upgrade @ $5500 a very profitable transaction for Tesla. Since the Model S is a car designed for the wealthy and is the foundation for producing the "everymans" car Model 3, then I do hope that Teslas pricing conforms a lot more to the actual production costs when the Model 3 does eventually make its appearance. Otherwise, my faith will be tested.

I've just noticed that Tesla have adjusted their prices for NZ. The difference is now only NZ$5000 which is much closer to US$3000 than previously.

Either Tesla have listened complaints and decided to be fair or they were in the process of getting there anyway and just hadn't gotten around to it. Either way I'm a very happy chappy as this bodes well for the pricing of the Model 3. It does come as a surprise however, considering the new US president is stirring things up and creating all manner of uncertainty.

The Canuck 100D base is $7500 more. Ho lee crap!
I heard the prices here in Canada on the other models went up 2-3% a couple days ago. I see today the difference now between 90D and 100D is C$4300

[...] Either Tesla have listened complaints and decided to be fair or they were in the process of getting there anyway and just hadn't gotten around to it. [...]
we heard at beginning of the week through our local Tesla club that Cdn prices were going up on 1/26. So I assume it was more the latter, as someone mentioned upthread the 100D pricing probably reflected the adjustments