Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100kWh battery in a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I saw the title of this thread (100Wh) I thought it was an update for this car.:eek::D

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 7.45.44 AM.png

To get to the supermarket and back it needs to be less than 100 meters/1000' away.:eek::D
Oh, you exaggerate! I compute a range of 0.41 miles. 100Wh over our presumed 75,000Wh in a LR battery gives the ratio of battery capacities. That times our 310-mile range gives a whopping 0.41 miles. However, your fundamental point remains spot on. Our supermarket is about a mile and a half away. :eek:

Back to the 100Kwh battery ... I think it would matter how much a car with one would cost.

It also would matter if Tesla production is battery constrained. If Tesla can make enough batteries, then OK. It seems that Tesla has more than enough open orders waiting with the current configurations.

My guess is this year - no. Next year, maybe - anything can happen.

Yes, cost would of course matter. I remember sweating over the $9K difference between LR and SR back in 2018.

I'm not sure a 100kWh/400+ mile battery would buy me a whole lot, though I do have a couple routes in mind for future travel where the lack of Superchargers leads to sub-optimal routing. Said another way, in most cases the density of Supercharger locations along the route makes longer than LR unnecessary. Yeah, "most cases". ;)

But anyway, let's suppose there's a 100kWh battery on the way. How do they achieve it? Is there physical space for an additional 25kWh of cells? Maybe sacrifice the sub-trunk. Or is the technology improving such that we could have more charge density in the same physical volume? Hmm...

PS to Steve: Sorry if I offended above in quipping about Wh vs kWh. I do know the quality of your posts, and was just having some fun with a typo. And it wasn't even your typo! :)

Yes, cost would of course matter. I remember sweating over the $9K difference between LR and SR back in 2018.

I'm not sure a 100kWh/400+ mile battery would buy me a whole lot, though I do have a couple routes in mind for future travel where the lack of Superchargers leads to sub-optimal routing. Said another way, in most cases the density of Supercharger locations along the route makes longer than LR unnecessary. Yeah, "most cases". ;)

But anyway, let's suppose there's a 100kWh battery on the way. How do they achieve it? Is there physical space for an additional 25kWh of cells? Maybe sacrifice the sub-trunk. Or is the technology improving such that we could have more charge density in the same physical volume? Hmm...

PS to Steve: Sorry if I offended above in quipping about Wh vs kWh. I do know the quality of your posts, and was just having some fun with a typo. And it wasn't even your typo! :)

Long range could be down to ~200 miles in the right conditions (winter temps, wanting to use the heat to 68 to 70F, and wet roads). In fact, snow and slush could even drag that down to 180 or so. I wouldn't mind a 100kWh battery. Ideally, even at a supercharger for a road trip, I wouldn't want to charge over 80% (it's too slow at that point). I would like to roll into my destination (or the next supercharger) with AT LEAST 10% left, but would feel safer at 15 to 20% (in the winter, 20% on a 100kWh battery might only be ~60 miles). That means my 100kWh battery really is only being used as a 60kWh or maybe a 70kWh.

80% down to 20% (or 60kWh) at 350wh/mi (not unrealistic with wet roads and cold temps) would be 170 miles. That's less than 2.5 hours at 70mph.

80% down to 10% (or 70kWh) at 350 wh/mi would be 200 miles, or just under 3 hours at 70 mph.

Using my area, Tri Cities to either Seattle or Portland (basically east side of WA to the west side) is ~200 to 220 miles. It would be nice do know I could do that in the worst winter conditions without a supercharger stop. It's possible because of the superchargers (and I have an SR+ so it didn't stop me from buying), but it would be wonderful to make it in one push if I need, or not worry about busy superchargers around holidays or being blocked because of snow removal, etc.

I look at the actual winter highway range and not the huge "idealistic" number of 400 miles or whatever. My life can work with a SR+... but if I had a couple little kids and a wife that didn't really want to stop and wait Christmas weekend because the superchargers are busy, or because bad conditions means it's a two supercharger stop instead of what... I would really consider a 100kWh pack as being more on the equal with a gas car that could make it across state without stopping.

That's why I hope Tesla keeps working on energy density and larger packs. Five years from now it would be nice to debate buying a new Tesla (Model 3 or Y) and seeing that I could do 350 miles or more at a real 75mph speed being having to charge. Knowing that most likely 200 miles in hard rain or light snow is possible during December or January or something. That would be wonderful.

Reactions: PJFW8