Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11.3.3 : Lane change override only turning off turn signals. New bug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Does the option to minimize lane changes except for Nav work? I understand it's not a sticky switch. I also assume while driving on FSDb you can manually request your lane.

2. If you wanted to use FSDb without Nav, just don't put a destination in. With #1 and #2 both enabled I'd guess it would stay in that lane until it disappeared.

No?
1) I always set minimize lane changes. It seems to help on the freeway but I have not noticed a significant reduction in erratic lane changes on surface streets. And yes, I do commonly "help" FSD by manually initiating a lane change. For example, if I know I am turning left in a mile and have three lanes to cross I will not wait for FSD to decide to start moving over - it commonly waits until too late - so I will use the turn signal to get it started moving over. Now this *has* gotten markedly better over the last couple revisions. There have been many times it started just as I was about to nudge it. So good progress there.
2) I actually want to use FSDb with Nav but I can test to see if the behavior persist if I do not put in a destination. My guess is it will because the erratic lane changes do not appear to have anything to do with upcoming turns, etc. Happens on straight sections when my next turn is miles away.

But again, getting off topic. The erratic lane changes are a well-known, well-documented problem. I am not bringing any new information to the table. What I found interesting was that it will do a lane change even when turn signals are stopped - I had not seen that before this rev.
Update on #2. I just ran an errand using FSDb without setting a destination and can confirm that the lane change issue persists even with no destination set. At one light, there was a left turn lane, a straight lane, and a right turn lane. I was coming up to the light intending to go straight and the car decided to signal and move into the left turn lane. So nothing to do with nav - just an FSD thing.

I'm on 11.3.4 and that lane change thing is weird. Why the need to reset it at every drive? Why not configure it like the set speed feature with parameters? Still learning about FSD. Glad to finally get it.
I am guessing here but I think Tesla wants the cars to auto lane change probably for the purposes of improving FSDb.

You have to be very quick to cancel the lane change with turn signal stalk. If you turn on "confirmation" and set that to "chime" you must cancel with stalk before it chimes. Once it chimes the lane change cannot be aborted with disengaging FSDb.

I drove FSDb v11 (11.3.4) on the highway for the first time today. On the drive home, I started off in FSDb mode with navigation, but when I was on the highway, I decided to cancel the navigation and just use Autosteer, so I would have more control over the lane changes. Surprisingly, AP continued to make speed-based lane changes even though I was no longer navigating. Is it supposed to do that? Regular AP definitely doesn't do that.

So it seems that if you don't want the car changing lanes automatically, you have to switch off FSDb and just use regular AP.

Reactions: KArnold
I drove FSDb v11 (11.3.4) on the highway for the first time today. On the drive home, I started off in FSDb mode with navigation, but when I was on the highway, I decided to cancel the navigation and just use Autosteer, so I would have more control over the lane changes. Surprisingly, AP continued to make speed-based lane changes even though I was no longer navigating. Is it supposed to do that? Regular AP definitely doesn't do that.

So it seems that if you don't want the car changing lanes automatically, you have to switch off FSDb and just use regular AP.
You can press left or right on the right wheel to bring up the mode selection. Then press the toggle for minimize lane changes.

Its especially annoying if you're driving next to an HOV lane that you don't want to get into. You'll spend the entire drive yanking the car off of autopilot and then re-engaging. A minute or 2 later, car starts heading for the HOV lane and the fastest/only way to override it is yank it back to its lane. I spend the whole drive pulling it out of autopilot now. I rarely had to before the update. Also, when are they going to fix the braking in traffic problem? I wonder how many Teslas are rear ended compared to other cars. The car still drives full speed and then slams on the brakes at the last possible second in traffic. I usually have to press the accelerator to get it to brake in a more normal deceleration to help make sure the cars behind me don't hit me. Or, if I see slow traffic ahead, I just disengage the autopilot and brake the way a normal person would.

Its especially annoying if you're driving next to an HOV lane that you don't want to get into. You'll spend the entire drive yanking the car off of autopilot and then re-engaging. A minute or 2 later, car starts heading for the HOV lane and the fastest/only way to override it is yank it back to its lane. I spend the whole drive pulling it out of autopilot now. I rarely had to before the update. Also, when are they going to fix the braking in traffic problem? I wonder how many Teslas are rear ended compared to other cars. The car still drives full speed and then slams on the brakes at the last possible second in traffic. I usually have to press the accelerator to get it to brake in a more normal deceleration to help make sure the cars behind me don't hit me. Or, if I see slow traffic ahead, I just disengage the autopilot and brake the way a normal person would.
Make sure in Navigation settings you have disabled HOV access.

Reactions: airzim