Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#1146 DMC Motor Fan Problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more test run today. Drove up to Grass Valley and back (43 miles), then a regular charge (2hrs 45 min at 24A), all same as when I was getting the errors before. Zero 1146 errors recorded during either the drive or the charge. Yea! Still a little bit skeptical, but hopeful. Time will tell...

Love the new PEM temperature behavior.

Hi , you can stick your hands in between the trunk and the PEM, then stick something in between so the gap remains open. ( an object of 8-10 cm). Now you can unplug the connecter.
Then open the rear panel in the trunk towards the PEM using the 4 screws. Gently pull the cable towards the opened panel and you should be able to instal a new connector on the cable.
Since I did that I never had any pem/motor fan problems anymore.

It was tight , But doable !
I'm encountering this error msg quite frequently now and want to attempt to clean and reseat the connector @BartJ mentioned above. However, having no experience with EV maintenance and seeing the warning "DANGER - HIGH VOLTAGE" accompanied by iconography showing a hand getting zapped (see attached), I just want to make sure I heed any safety precautions necessary to discharge the PEM so I can continue to provide for my family. Also, the connectors on my 2.5 look nothing like Bart's so pls advise which one I should be focusing on, thx.

IMG_7433.jpg

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to follow the instructions on the DIY PEM cleaning thread. By pulling the PEM you will be able to better check the connectors for failure. It is doubtful to me that the connector has come loose unless you have recently had it disconnected. It has a latch and doesn't come apart on its own. It the connector fails it can burn the pins on the half that is internal to the PEM and that is a bit of a pain to fix. Tesla will say "new PEM". Do not delay looking into this! I speak from experience. When the fan quits working it will over heat and shut the car down within a mile or two.

Thx for the photo and the directions @MLAUTO! That's exactly what I needed to see and read. And @BartJ, you weren't kidding about it being tight in there! Replacing the connector + pins through the small access panel in the trunk liner like you did must have been an exercise in great patience.

So I pulled the connector and sprayed some contact cleaner on both connection points, let them dry then reassembled. Went for a short drive but to no avail as the error reappeared only a couple miles down the road. :(

PEM temps climb rapidly from the first blue bar to the third within the first minute of driving but never go into the yellow. The debug msg also only really tends to appear during city driving. Once I'm at highway speeds, it rarely appears. Should I be concerned? Last annual service was performed in Nov '16.

Thx for the photo and the directions @MLAUTO! That's exactly what I needed to see and read. And @BartJ, you weren't kidding about it being tight in there! Replacing the connector + pins through the small access panel in the trunk liner like you did must have been an exercise in great patience.

So I pulled the connector and sprayed some contact cleaner on both connection points, let them dry then reassembled. Went for a short drive but to no avail as the error reappeared only a couple miles down the road. :(

PEM temps climb rapidly from the first blue bar to the third within the first minute of driving but never go into the yellow. The debug msg also only really tends to appear during city driving. Once I'm at highway speeds, it rarely appears. Should I be concerned? Last annual service was performed in Nov '16.

i would recommend you to order the necessary parts and get it fixed asap. the parts cost only a few bugs but and lots of patience indeed for installing it :)
if you keep driving like that you risk to to burn the pins on the pem side eventually. and then it becomese really expensive,
or ask tesla to remove the pem an put a new connecter on the cable.

Its not just the connector necessary; I had the same issue as have others. The issue appears to be with the retrofit of the larger twin fan motor/PEM cooler in lieu of the original single fan. The original was rate to draw as I recall less than 20A, the new twin fans can draw over 25A which exceed the specification of the connector, the thought is that the connector pins at the PEM end suffer from this excess current, but as done the fans at the other end.

I'd recommend removing the dual fan unit (takes about 45mins), check the fans for both true rotation (mine had carved a chunk out of one side), check the blowers for debris egress and check the electrical connectors for over heating. If any of the prior points flag up, replace the fan unit complete - here in the UK direct from the dealer (manufacture is SPAL, make sure you get the IP68 version, type 014-AP74/LL-22-12V) and costs about £120 including a 3 year warranty.

This including checking the subsequent connector at the PEM end seems to cure the over heating issues - it did for me and another 2.5 Roadster in the UK, at least until my PEM suffered IGBT failure. However, I suspect with digilent checks and periodic replacement of the dual blower unit, most over heating issues should be mitigated.

• Informative
Reactions: ion_1 and Roadster
I'd recommend removing the dual fan unit (takes about 45mins), check the fans for both true rotation (mine had carved a chunk out of one side), check the blowers for debris egress and check the electrical connectors for over heating.
Thx @Kerios. Happy to give this a try if there are directions on how best to access the fan unit. Does the rear belly pan need to be removed and will I be able to get at it from below without a lift?

I'm also seeing 3001 SHFT: APS Voltage pop up ever so briefly from time to time. Anyone else get these two errors in conjunction with each other? FWIW, the 400V Controller was replaced back in Sep '16. Coincidence?

Thx @Kerios. Happy to give this a try if there are directions on how best to access the fan unit. Does the rear belly pan need to be removed and will I be able to get at it from below without a lift?

I'm also seeing 3001 SHFT: APS Voltage pop up ever so briefly from time to time. Anyone else get these two errors in conjunction with each other? FWIW, the 400V Controller was replaced back in Sep '16. Coincidence?

So basically no need to jack vehicle but helps if you can for space. Remove rear defuser pan (replace all fasteners with stainless steel ones for your sanity), disconnect anti roll bar mounts (2) marking orientation of shims and sides they belong to. Disconnect dual fan electrical connector - make sure car is off - buts it's on the low voltage side so no need to isolate. Remove retaining fasteners for fan unit to rear panel and wiggle off - watch for the guides no biggy just need to realign them on reassembly. Inspect electrical connectors, dual fan for concentricity when rotated, remove any debris in air ducts to motor and PEM. If using new fan you'll need to remove the mating connector (assuming good condition) and transfer to new fan unit - i soldered new connector on then used heat shrink for strain and moisture egress protection. Reassemble is the reverse of disassembly. Be careful not to over torque the anti roll bolts. That's about it.

APS Voltage error - Once but not sure what it was in connection to, Roadsters are like pandas, totally fickle.

Doesn't sound too bad but I'd love to see some photos of the parts and procedure before I take the plunge. I reached out to the Torrance SC (the only service center in L.A. that works on Roadsters) to get their thoughts as well. Waiting to hear back.

I've also been getting these #1146 errors and spoken to the SC about it several times.

The car is in at the moment and the SC now says that it is a fault with a CRC (?) board in the PEM that is reading under current and needs to be replaced at a cost of 1700 GBP.

I said at that price I want to double check and as it is a debug-only issue I will live with it for a bit. I was warned that the PEM might fail due to heat issues but AFAIK the fan still runs ok and I have not seen PEM overheating recently, it's just that with debug on it produces a stream of these messages as it cuts in and out.

I've also been getting these #1146 errors and spoken to the SC about it several times.

The car is in at the moment and the SC now says that it is a fault with a CRC (?) board in the PEM that is reading under current and needs to be replaced at a cost of 1700 GBP.

I said at that price I want to double check and as it is a debug-only issue I will live with it for a bit. I was warned that the PEM might fail due to heat issues but AFAIK the fan still runs ok and I have not seen PEM overheating recently, it's just that with debug on it produces a stream of these messages as it cuts in and out.

smells to connecter/pin issue.
replace these first. they cost only a few 10's
then you can still see.

Also make sure that all the duct work is properly connected and sealed. I had a bunch of these errors (also 1144, I think), and the SC finally added some weather stripping to seal things up better, and that helped a bunch.

@gregd, any photos of the weather stripping that was added by chance? I'm going to finally get around to pulling the belly pan and inspecting the underside of my PEM this weekend and would like to do the same while I have things dismantled. Also with regard to your earlier post with the SC's findings...
Inspected Roadster Fan configuration
and verified incorrect.
Updated vehicle with correct configuration and performed 20+ mile
validation drive. No alerts. No further action needed.
...what specific configuration correction was made?

Reactions: DeedWest
@gregd, any photos of the weather stripping that was added by chance? I'm going to finally get around to pulling the belly pan and inspecting the underside of my PEM this weekend and would like to do the same while I have things dismantled. Also with regard to your earlier post with the SC's findings......what specific configuration correction was made?
Hi Roadster,

Here is the repair order detail about the weather stripping:

Corrections: Fan Assembly - PEM - Roadster 2.x
Removed the PEM fan to check for any damage or poor performance. After removing,
installed a foam seal around the housing to ensure no airflow was being lost while driving.​

The fan wiring fix was unspecific. I never was able to talk directly to the tech (to thank him/her), and the service rep only said that it was wired wrong, and had been for some indeterminate time. Another recent thread talking about the PEM fan upgrade (which my car has) noted that the new fan is a 24v unit, vs the earlier pair of 12v ones, and that the PEM's outputs are rewired in series in order to drive it. This implies that the driver outputs are isolated (no common ground), which is not intuitive, but ok. Anyway, putting these two threads together, I am guessing that my PEM fan wiring change was either missed or done incorrectly, and the 24v fan was being driven by one or both of the 12v drivers, which would be a significant handicap. What the exact wiring needs to be has not been documented as far as I know, but it's certainly something that the SC can verify if you ask. Tell them #834 sent you, with thanks to the Rocklin SC.

Again, the wiring detail is a wild guess on my part, but seems consistent with the symptoms and history as I know it, and the PEM temps have certainly been a lot better since.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Roadster
Well, it took the better part of my afternoon but I was able to complete the removal, inspection, cleaning, weatherstripping, and reassembly of the dual fan unit as outlined by our esteemed experts. Once I had everything buttoned back up, I took the car for a spirited test drive in Performance mode to try and get the temps up and, more importantly, trigger the annoying yellow-ringed debug error. Neither happened so... SUCCESS!!! :D Fingers crossed the error message goes away for good now...

If anyone else wants to tackle this, I'm providing the illustrated how-to guide of what I did. It's a fairly straight forward job if you don't have a JdeMO unit installed. I'll explain below:

Step 1: Lift the Rear
Elevate the rear of the car so you can gain better access to undercarriage (see Fig. 1). If you have a set of ramps, they provide the quickest method as shown. You'd have to have a high degree of masochism to try and do this with the car on the ground but I assume it could be done. Remove hex screws and bolts holding the lower rear plastic pan. Set the pan aside.

IMG_4127.jpg

Figure 1. Rear of Roadster Sport 2.5 raised on Rhino ramps with rearmost plastic belly pan removed.

Step 2: Inspect How Everything is Installed Before Starting the Disassembly
This is a critical step to help familiarize yourself with the job at hand. I inspected and noted the bolt anchoring points, electrical connectors, mating surfaces, etc. (Figs. 2 - 6).

IMG_4091.jpg

Figure 2. Dual fan unit manufactured by SPAL. Power to both fans is driven for the centered located motor. The left fan forces air to the ESS and the right fan the PEM.

IMG_4094.jpg

Figure 3. Rear sway bar (driver side) lower left mounting bolt. Position of mounting location noted with China marker in white below the shim and clamp.

IMG_4095.jpg

Figure 4. Rear swaybar (passenger side) lower right mounting bolt and QCP JdeMO module. Note the tight tolerance between the JdeMO box and the swaybar clamp making for obscured and very cramped quarters for reinstallation of the top bolt.

IMG_4097.jpg

Figure 5. First of two dual fan unit electrical connectors.

IMG_4099.jpg

Figure 6. Second of two dual fan unit electrical connectors.

Step 3: Disconnect the Electrical Connectors
Depress the center tab on the connector and gently pry the male and female ends apart. Do this for both fan connections.

IMG_4101.jpg

Figure 7. Decoupled dual fan unit connector.

Step 4: Remove the Dual Fan Unit
Start by removing the clamp bolts (Figs. 8 and 9) and move the sway bar rearward to allow the dual fan unit's mounting flange to drop down from its mounting position. Remove the dual fan mounting locknuts (Vid. 1) and pull the unit rearward to clear the flange mounting bolts. Remove the full fan assembly from the vehicle and set it aside (Fig. 10). Inspect the mating surfaces for any signs of warping or damage (Vid. 2).

IMG_4104.jpg

Figure 8: Left (driver side) sway bar clamp bolts removed.

IMG_4106.jpg

Figure 9: Right (passenger side) sway bar clamp bolts removed.

IMG_4110.jpg

Figure 10. Dual fan assembly removed from vehicle

Video 1. Preparing to remove the dual fan unit. Final locknut unscrewed before proceeding to try and move the assembly rearward to drop it out.

Video 2. Dual fan unit removed to reveal duct Inlets. Provides access to the ESS and PEM airflow inlets and allow for better inspection and cleaning of the fan unit itself as well as cooling ducts. Inspect the mating surfaces for any warping or damage.

(continued)​

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and markwj
Step 5: Clear the Ductwork of Debris
Time to clean! If you have an air compressor with a long handled nozzle, you're in good shape. Set the regulator to 80+ PSI as you'll want to try and dislodge as many leaves, dirt, and whatever else is lurking in there with strong blasts of air (Vid. 3).

Video 3. Cleaning PEM airflow inlets. Compressed air @ 80+ PSI was used to blow the airflow inlets clean. Note the massive amount of leaves and other organic debris that gets expelled from the PEM side once the air is forced through. Two additional passes were needed before the ductwork was relatively free of potential blockage.

Step 6: Check the Dual Fan Unit for Concentricity
With the fan assembly removed, you can now clean and test it too. To check for concentricity, I used compressed air to get the fan blades spinning without electricity. A cursory viewing of both fans rotating at high speeds showed no signs of eccentricity (Vid. 4). BTW, the TM P/N for the fan assembly in my 2.5 Sport is 1003208-00-A_Rev.AB.

Video 4. Checking the dual fan unit for concentricity. Using compressed air to spin the fan blades, both sides of the fan unit were tested for concentricity. No overt eccentricity was noticed while the blades were rotating.

Step 7: Remove and Replace Old Weatherstripping
The fan assembly had the remnants of some heavily worn out and disintegrated insulation on the bottom of the flange mounting position for the inlets (Figs. 11 and 12). I removed the majority of it with a paint scraper (Figs. 13 and 14) and followed that up with WD40 to break down the adhesive. Finally, isopropyl alcohol was used to prepare the freshly cleaned surface for new weatherstripping (Fig. 15).

IMG_4132.jpg
Figure 11. Left side of dual fan assembly. Note the disintegrating weatherstripping that's only located on the bottom portion of the flange.

IMG_4133.jpg

Figure 12. Side view of the vestigial weatherstripping on the dual fan unit's mounting flange.

IMG_4136.jpg

Figure 13. Paint scraper being used to remove old weatherstripping.

IMG_4137.jpg

Figure 14. Remnants of the old weatherstripping. The rubber had virtually disintegrated over time and wasn't providing a proper seal.

IMG_4138.jpg

Figure 15. Final surface prep completed with flange having been sprayed down with WD40 to remove any remaining adhesive followed by an isopropyl alcohol rubdown to give the new weatherstripping a better opportunity for adherence.

I purchased an 8' roll of Super-stik® Weatherstrip from the local auto parts store (Fig 16). I specifically wanted to go with a slightly thicker diameter for a tighter seal but you can also use the thinner version which makes it easier during reassembly. I proceeded to measured the various dimensions and cut five separate strips of weatherstripping: two for the top and bottom and three for the sides and center. After applying them with great care, the refurbished unit was ready for reinstallation (Fig 17).

IMG_4128.jpg

Figure 16. Roll of Super-stik® Weatherstrip (P/N 01058) purchased from my local auto parts store. This product was thicker than standard weatherstripping and would provide a tighter, better seal.

IMG_4149.jpg

Figure 17. The final refurbished dual fan unit read for reinstallation.

Step 8: Reinstallation & Reassembly
This step was the most time-consuming (why... why is it always the case?) as the thicker weatherstripping required me to apply substantial pressure to the dual fan unit's flange in order to get the locknuts started on the tips of the threaded mounting bolts. I eventually resorted to brute force with a pry bar for leverage and was finally able to get all the locknuts on. After lightly torquing things down, I inspected the weatherstripping and could see it was providing a much better seal than before (Fig. 18).

IMG_4151.jpg

Figure 18. View of the remounted dual fan assembly looking up from directly below. The light gray "bump" you see beneath the fan motor is the bulging weatherstripping between the two ports.

Next up was the reattachment of the rear sway bar mounting clamps. Three of the clamp bolts went on just fine. However, the installation of the very last one in the upper right was complicated by the fact that the JdeMO unit blocked almost all access angles and lines of site to the bolt screw location so I couldn't see where to get it started. After two hours of squirming on the garage floor contorting myself in every which angle, I finally got the bolt to properly align with the threaded hole. Following a few cautious turns to ensure it wasn't cross-threaded, I torqued everything down, reconnected the detached fan connectors, zip tied everything back, buttoned up the plastic rear pan, and rolled the car down off the ramps.

Step 9: Test Drive
The moment of truth. The debug notification would typically appear merely seconds into my drive. Also, the PEM temperature on the VDS temp screen would rapidly progress from the 2nd blue bar to the 4th in a matter of minutes. This time, neither of these things happened. No annoying beeps, no yellow ring of mockery, and a steady hold of PEM temps on the 3rd bar. After a few hard acceleration runs in Performance mode, the PEM eventually moved into the 4th blue bar but quickly dropped back down to the 3rd which meant the cooling was indeed more responsive. After 45 minutes of hard launches, heavy driving, the motor temp eventually crept up to the 3rd blue bar as did the ESS. By the end of the night, when I pulled back into my garage, not a single debug notification had appeared and the temps of all three vitals were right where you'd expect to see them (Fig. 19).

IMG_4155.jpg

Figure 19. Final set of vital temperature after about an hour of very spirited driving in Performance mode. More importantly, no beeps or debug notifications.

Thx again to everyone for your input and guidance! I truly hope the steps above addresses this error once and for all ;)

Last edited: