Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12,000 Mile Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else wondering why Kevin Costner is living out of his car these days? :)
(nuts! started a new page.)
I learned from a seasoned Tesla engineer whom I met at a SC in Oklahoma that almost all Tesla employees who are out on the road testing the car have a similar approach--living out of the car, sleeping at SCs or rest stops/Walmart. Did I tell you my Kevin Costner story?! :)

wow did you have time to see anything on this trip? That's almost 800 miles/day.
I'd quick estimated the trip to be 8k miles when I departed and have found that 600 mile days are very leisurely when you're doing round the clock driving. I started out with 1000 mile days because I just wasn't sure how long this very complicated route was going to take. When it became clear that the backtracking I had to do in the south meant significantly more miles, I continued my SOP of full time driving with 3-4 hours of sleep in the middle of the night, along with naps at most superchargers. I did have to give up a few stops to visit various forum members, but had plenty of other opportunities to hit up good restaurants, visit close friends and jump in the ocean at Wrightsville Beach. Except for the deep south, this was all pretty familiar territory--beside Arkansas, which was my final of the lower 48, I've been to all the other states multiple times. It's an awesome change of pace to live on the road in a Tesla!