Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12.14 UI update removed quick access media (favourites/recents) so now no safe way to change media whilst driving??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there is still a way to get the quick access bar showing media recents/favourites in the corner of the screen? You used to be able to swipe up from the media player there, to show all your recents and favourites. Now there is literally no way to change radio station whilst driving except find and open the actual Radio app, which then takes up an entire half of the screen, and look all the way over to the other side of the screen from where you're driving to select stuff in the massive app window??
This is insanely terrible UI design and also incredibly unsafe. Literally how am I meant to change radio stations safely whilst driving now?

They still haven’t fixed the bug where the car “forgets” the radio station is a favorite until you change it to something else and change it back.

And tapping the album art brings up the new now playing screen where the favorites are in some random order so it takes even longer to look and find what you want. So much blank space screen real estate that could be better utilized.

IMG_6395.jpeg

The favorites should be like the presets in every other car where the order is fixed. You have to hit stations at the top which then finally displays your favorites in the preferred order you saved them in. But that requires more screen interaction.

IMG_6396.jpeg

The forward and back on the screen should also go to the next/previous favorite not the next numerical radio station. Why would I want to scroll the radio station frequency which I probably don’t listen to? Scroll through my favorites.

Whoever is designing the UI is not designing a UI that is meant for a car where things are well defined and consistent and intuitive to use while driving.

Agreed on both counts.
I'm a bit surprised more people aren't complaining about this one tbh, maybe people didn't know about the quick access thing in the first place? But then I'm surprised because that would mean they've been dealing with an insanely clunky UI for changing radio etc for years lol.

Reactions: brianbcc
This is my biggest complaint about 14.x
I like everything else about the update....although I wish the mini-map in full visualization mode was closer to the driver.

But I can't understand why they removed the swipe up to get access to the Recents, Favs, next tracks in the album etc. Also no way to see the length of the song and time remaining in actual numbers which you could swiping up before.
I really hope Tesla adds these features back.

Agreed on both counts.
I'm a bit surprised more people aren't complaining about this one tbh, maybe people didn't know about the quick access thing in the first place? But then I'm surprised because that would mean they've been dealing with an insanely clunky UI for changing radio etc for years lol.
I just discovered this one my morning drive (only got the software update this week). Definitely not happy about it!

Reactions: brianbcc
Just to confirm, this is a really stupid situation. I have tried the long-press left/right on the thumb wheel, but that seems to scroll you through an apparently random list of various channels or recently played spotify stuff.

The upshot is that there is literally no safe and easy way to select a radio station now whilst driving. Which is just completely stupid and insane.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
They still haven’t fixed the bug where the car “forgets” the radio station is a favorite until you change it to something else and change it back.

And tapping the album art brings up the new now playing screen where the favorites are in some random order so it takes even longer to look and find what you want. So much blank space screen real estate that could be better utilized.

View attachment 1052744

The favorites should be like the presets in every other car where the order is fixed. You have to hit stations at the top which then finally displays your favorites in the preferred order you saved them in. But that requires more screen interaction.

View attachment 1052743

The forward and back on the screen should also go to the next/previous favorite not the next numerical radio station. Why would I want to scroll the radio station frequency which I probably don’t listen to? Scroll through my favorites.

Whoever is designing the UI is not designing a UI that is meant for a car where things are well defined and consistent and intuitive to use while driving.
Just got the update last night. What you report is the first thing I noticed on my drive this morning. I played around with favorit3s ( I almost exclusively use TuneIn) but haven't yet figured out how the favorites are stored.