Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated last night (not sure exactly which version) to find that audio playback just got a whole lot worse. 😥

I’m using the same Spotify account for both my car and my phone, with the new update if I’m playing a playlist and have songs queued up, isn’t the car supposed to sync that so I can carry on using the inbuilt car app when I get in?

Is there anything I need to click/press?

I updated last night (not sure exactly which version) to find that audio playback just got a whole lot worse. 😥

On .14.8 and also have this issue. Heartbreaking.

New update done…….meh

Big car on touchscreen, that’s about it. Am I missing anything else major?
Not sure if already mentioned but you can now expand the internet browser to full screen, which makes it more user friendly than before if you have premium connectivity- as a regular user I welcome this change. The 4G on it is much faster with pretty much full coverage than my mobile phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Dumb question: what decisions is the regen indicator informing?

In my case, and I suspect many others, the answer is “none”. In which case if information presented has no possible use for driver decision making, why present that information to the driver at all?

Unsurprisingly you’ll find me (and, as it happens, SWMBO) firmly in the camp of giving zero shirts about this change. Horses for courses!
I refer to this bar all the time to keep the regen/energy efficiency at its max ie by balancing/reducing the amount of pressure on the accelerator when possible. My only comment is that I can’t tell yet where the bar starts and finishes and where the mid point(transition point between green and black) is…perhaps I need a bit more time to get used to it

I refer to this bar all the time to keep the regen/energy efficiency at its max ie by balancing/reducing the amount of pressure on the accelerator when possible. My only comment is that I can’t tell yet where the bar starts and finishes and where the mid point(transition point between green and black) is…perhaps I need a bit more time to get used to it
Fair enough. I just balance the accelerator pressure to get me where I’m going, and as I don’t have a heavy right foot I find the efficiency takes care of itself 😁

Dumb question: what decisions is the regen indicator informing?

In my case, and I suspect many others, the answer is “none”. In which case if information presented has no possible use for driver decision making, why present that information to the driver at all?

Unsurprisingly you’ll find me (and, as it happens, SWMBO) firmly in the camp of giving zero shirts about this change. Horses for courses!

You may have noticed how I couched my comment ... and I do already understand where you're coming from! The world isn't going to stop turning. However, for those of us who are interested in what the car is doing to achieve its level of efficiency it's interesting to see the transition between using energy, balancing without regen and actual regen. I have a long hill to descend near to where I live and I tend to balance the accelerator to achieve no energy use and no regen depending on corners and road conditions. It's a challenge that I enjoy and it even influences efficiency to a tiny degree. Tesla recognised that people should see this line more clearly by increasing its thickness a few updates ago. Aside from power/regen it has also been useful in indicating the potential availability of power and the level of regen you can expect by showing a series of dots that correlates to battery temperature. I fully accept that this is far from an essential driver aid ... but the screen is full of stuff that has little importance to my driving ... like pretty pictures of a car that I can already see in front of me ... so nobody can claim that we only have essential information on screen for driver decisions!

You may have noticed how I couched my comment ... and I do already understand where you're coming from! The world isn't going to stop turning. However, for those of us who are interested in what the car is doing to achieve its level of efficiency it's interesting to see the transition between using energy, balancing without regen and actual regen. I have a long hill to descend near to where I live and I tend to balance the accelerator to achieve no energy use and no regen depending on corners and road conditions. It's a challenge that I enjoy and it even influences efficiency to a tiny degree. Tesla recognised that people should see this line more clearly by increasing its thickness a few updates ago. Aside from power/regen it has also been useful in indicating the potential availability of power and the level of regen you can expect by showing a series of dots that correlates to battery temperature. I fully accept that this is far from an essential driver aid ... but the screen is full of stuff that has little importance to my driving ... like pretty pictures of a car that I can already see in front of me ... so nobody can claim that we only have essential information on screen for driver decisions!
Perhaps just being contrary, but I thought the regen meter is significantly more noticeable than before, distracting even. I preferred it how it was before as it seemed easier to ignore, now its always bouncing around in the area of the screen I pay attention to.

I did notice the inflection and you’ll get no judgment from me on these little challenges all of us enjoy setting ourselves 😀 I was just posing the UX question I’m pretty sure occurred during the design of v12’s UI.

Genuinely it’s a shame that Tesla are forcing the pleasure of this particular challenge to end, but at least there seems a logical UX reasoning for the change rather than the usual Tesla approach of “fling it at the screen and hope it works”!

Perhaps just being contrary, but I thought the regen meter is significantly more noticeable than before, distracting even. I preferred it how it was before as it seemed easier to ignore, now it’s always bouncing around in the area of the screen I pay attention to.
This discussion really does just prove how soul crushing the job of a UX designer is 😂

I’m not a UX designer by the way, but I do employ them…

This discussion really does just prove how soul crushing the job of a UX designer is 😂

I’m not a UX designer by the way, but I do employ them…
As a UX designer myself, I’d say as long as your design decisions are supported by evidence/testing, it doesn’t matter what any single individual preferres, and doesn’t make your decision wrong. Opinions are just that - opinions. Proven hypothesis wins through.

I do feel it’s a shame you cannot swipe up on the music card anymore to see the next tracks, etc. I liked that.

Generally I think this is a nice update with a lot of good stuff, just a shame when you step backwards also in a few places.
Ah dam yes. There's a long winded way by pressing the song name and then playlist.
I've also found by accident that you can press the time to bring up the calendar.
Wish there were equaliser custom presets.

Not sure if already mentioned but you can now expand the internet browser to full screen, which makes it more user friendly than before if you have premium connectivity- as a regular user I welcome this change. The 4G on it is much faster with pretty much full coverage than my mobile phone.
I thought we’d always been able to expand the browser to full screen? Could have sworn I’ve had this for a while now. Not noticed any change yet in the coverage. Don’t mind me, I’m still peeved at the fact I used to be able to zoom in my map for local driving and it would stay zoomed in.

Reactions: Benotomy
I thought we’d always been able to expand the browser to full screen? Could have sworn I’ve had this for a while now. Not noticed any change yet in the coverage. Don’t mind me, I’m still peeved at the fact I used to be able to zoom in my map for local driving and it would stay zoomed in.
Yes, apparently it is a new change with this update “When you're parked, you can expand the browser to full screen.”. Wrt the 4G and coverage, just to clarify I didn’t mean these being updated, but as the reasons why I chose to use the in car browser instead of my mobile phone hence welcome the full screen update…sorry if caused confusion

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Minor fixes- .9 was quick to follow…updating as we speak.

I guess the next key update will be 2014.20. If it does deliver improved AC in hot weather and adaptive headlights with cornering then that would be fab

Minor fixes- .9 was quick to follow…updating as we speak.

I guess the next key update will be 2014.20. If it does deliver improved AC in hot weather and adaptive headlights with cornering then that would be fab
If Elon reads me, the feature I would most welcome for HVAC / Hot weather would be an auto-pause of A/C when I fully open a window...
Seems more power efficient & eco friendly as well... Maybe too much common sense?

If Elon reads me, the feature I would most welcome for HVAC / Hot weather would be an auto-pause of A/C when I fully open a window...
Seems more power efficient & eco friendly as well... Maybe too much common sense?
Not for me, or at least not without the ability to turn the feature off. In hot sunny weather I often open windows at the start of a journey to help get rid of the excess heat in the cabin, but still have AC on to blast cool air in.