Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12/20 production date is considered 2021?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking at possibly purchasing a used low mileage Model X Performance 6 seater.

Has less than 10k miles and they are asking for 85k. Willing to let go for 82k plus $800 dealer fee and taxes.

Thoughts?

Are there any relevant features for a production date of 12/20 versus an older production date?

Is it really a 2021 as they are claiming if production date was 12/20?

Open to all and any feedback as I am depending on info from replied to make a decision.

I had a hold on a 2023 plaid 6 seat last week that I lost. Purchase price after tax would have been 119k. Too much on my opinion which is why I did not pull the trigger.

2020 was the last calendar year that Tesla produced the vertical screen “legacy” model X. A 12/20 manufactured one would have all the last updates Tesla ever made to that model, including the longest range (which I believe topped 370 miles at the very end). With it labeled a 2021, it has the potential to be confused with the horizontal screen refresh. This could work for you or against you in various ways…. It may be tabulated as a higher value than it is, and you could end up with parts confusion.

Is it worth $10k more than ones manufactured earlier in the year with similar mileage? Probably not, but that could depend on the features the individual cars have. Are you comparing the exact same seat configuration, wheels, colors, autopilot?

A brand new model X can be had for $97k. I would challenge whether you are really wanting a legacy vertical screen car for $15k difference?

2020 was the last calendar year that Tesla produced the vertical screen “legacy” model X. A 12/20 manufactured one would have all the last updates Tesla ever made to that model, including the longest range (which I believe topped 370 miles at the very end). With it labeled a 2021, it has the potential to be confused with the horizontal screen refresh. This could work for you or against you in various ways…. It may be tabulated as a higher value than it is, and you could end up with parts confusion.

Is it worth $10k more than ones manufactured earlier in the year with similar mileage? Probably not, but that could depend on the features the individual cars have. Are you comparing the exact same seat configuration, wheels, colors, autopilot?

A brand new model X can be had for $97k. I would challenge whether you are really wanting a legacy vertical screen car for $15k difference?

The one I am looking at is a Performance AWD. I think that is that same as what is now called Plaid. However I don’t know if the only difference between a Performance and any other model in 2021 is the 0-60 Ludicrous mode.

If you can clarify that would be great.

That being said a new Plaid 6 seater with 22 inch rims right now goes for about 119k from current inventory.

I just recently purchased a 2020 MX built in Dec 2019. I love the car but if I had to do it over I would purchase a post-refresh vehicle. The pre-refresh MX's don't seem to get the same attention and updates as the more recent ones. Just my $.02.