Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12.3.4 does a poor job of ending trip at charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12.3.4 is great! However, it is annoyingly bad at ending trips at a charger or parking lot. In my experience, it slows down, begins jerky steering wheel movements as if unsure what to do, and I always have to take over. It would seem it would be possible to train it to go into a charging area, pick an open slot, and back in with the new excellent parking capability. Does anyone have a suggestion about how to deal with this other than always disengaging in this situation? I would prefer it just stop!

NEWS FLASH: At this time it is ONLY trained on public roads so anything it does in a parking lot is something it wasn't trained for.
Proof? Or speculation?

Actually, speculation. I remember numerous times if has successfully navigated parking lots. A few weeks ago I routed to a fast food. It turned off the road, entered the parking lot, circled around the restaurant before it decided it had arrived.

I've gone through grocery store parking lots many times.

It just doesn't automatically park when in FSD. It's basically door to door at this point.

Proof? Or speculation?

Actually, speculation. I remember numerous times if has successfully navigated parking lots. A few weeks ago I routed to a fast food. It turned off the road, entered the parking lot, circled around the restaurant before it decided it had arrived.

I've gone through grocery store parking lots many times.

It just doesn't automatically park when in FSD. It's basically door to door at this point.
Elon himself said this in a video I think. And that parking lots, auto parking (Banish) and ASS were coming in a few months (not yet though). He even said the NNs were not trained to pull over but somehow learned that behavior from training videos. Its ability to drive and park in a parking lot are just abilities picked up from training videos. Hell I can sorta use FSDS in my parking deck.

EDIT: Also the Release Notes ONLY say City Streets for V12. When Parking Lots are added the Release Notes WILL say it.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 5.26.52 PM.png

Last edited:
Elon himself said this in a video I think. And that parking lots, auto parking (Banish) and ASS were coming in a few months (not yet though). He even said the NNs were not trained to pull over but somehow learned that behavior from training videos. Its ability to drive and park in a parking lot are just abilities picked up from training videos. Hell I can sorta use FSDS in my parking deck.

EDIT: Also the Release Notes ONLY say City Streets for V12. When Parking Lots are added the Release Notes WILL say it.

What's the difference between a city street and a parking lot? Especially since some parking lots have city streets!

I believe that Elon's response for FSD parking, just like I suggested.

And if it wasn't trained on your definition of a parking lot, then there's really no need to do any training, since it is working as expected.

It's FSD park that's missing.

What's the difference between a city street and a parking lot? Especially since some parking lots have city streets!

I believe that Elon's response for FSD parking, just like I suggested.

And if it wasn't trained on your definition of a parking lot, then there's really no need to do any training, since it is working as expected.

It's FSD park that's missing.
Parking lots are almost always private property and Streets are almost always public property. Again Elon has stated that the NN are not trained for parking lots yet and when done we will also get ASS. And Parking lots don't have public streets. I going to assume you are confusing streets around Malls for instance. These are NOT public streets and are on private property.

If you are happy then good but the OP wants to know a specific case of why FSDS doesn't work well in a Parking lot and the answer is FSDS is NOT trained specifically for Parking lots OR Parking.

Just for reference Parking lots were partially/mostly Mapped back in 2020 for Smart Summon using Open Street Maps. That legacy data is likely still contained in the Navigation Data file and is used for some basic mapping of entrances/exits and row assignments.

Parking lots are almost always private property and Streets are almost always public property. Again Elon has stated that the NN are not trained for parking lots yet and when done we will also get ASS. And Parking lots don't have public streets. I going to assume you are confusing streets around Malls for instance. These are NOT public streets and are on private property.

If you are happy then good but the OP wants to know a specific case of why FSDS doesn't work well in a Parking lot and the answer is FSDS is NOT trained specifically for Parking lots OR Parking.

Just for reference Parking lots were partially/mostly Mapped back in 2020 for Smart Summon using Open Street Maps. That legacy data is likely still contained in the Navigation Data file and is used for some basic mapping of entrances/exits and row assignments.

You might want to open your horizons a little bit.
There are malls in which the streets around are public property. Their are even public parking lots.

But that's irrelevant. The car doesn't know what it public and private property. The ONLY thing that the car knows is how well it is mapped in OpenStreets.

I still think that you are confusing the OPs question. My take is that they are referring to FSD initiating a park action, it doesn't. But it still navigates parking lots.
And that possibly ties into the difference between 2024.8.X and 2024.3.X. 2024.8.X has the new parking UI, which feels like a much more probably API for FSD than the old autopark.

You might want to open your horizons a little bit.
There are malls in which the streets around are public property. Their are even public parking lots.

But that's irrelevant. The car doesn't know what it public and private property. The ONLY thing that the car knows is how well it is mapped in OpenStreets....
Let me help you with a word I used ALMOST (twice) as in NOT all. Almost doesn't mean all inclusive. So my "horizons" were not closed.

Also the car does know private roads/parking lots from public streets. If you don't believe it try and use Smart Summon on a public street. That is a no go. You MUST be on private property to use Smart Summon. So it does know.

Let me help you with a word I used ALMOST (twice) as in NOT all. Almost doesn't mean all inclusive. So my "horizons" were not closed.

Also the car does know private roads/parking lots from public streets. If you don't believe it try and use Smart Summon on a public street. That is a no go. You MUST be on private property to use Smart Summon. So it does know.
Smart Summon doesn't work in publicly owned parking lots? That's news to me.