Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 simple software updates Tesla could make to improve interface. How many do you want?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When using Camp Mode you realize how many controls should be included in app so you can control them from the rear of the car:
-Allow remote front seat control (driver and passenger) or selection of driver seat profile + add a passenger seat profile
-Allow main screen off/brightness control from app
-Allow entertainment/media selection maybe simialar to apple tv remote trackpad
-ambient light/ dome light on/off switch from app
-Manual rear vents control via app (doesn’t trigger automaticly since I remove rear bench seat for lay flat)
-Allow scheduled/departure charging from app
Nice to have:
-Add ability to tap on charge level (screen and app) to toggle between % and Miles
-See history of supercharger visits rather than just static last charge location/rate - they have this info on your tesla account now

CarPlay would really change my whole experience. I've had a 2019 M3 dual for a week, and am just super annoyed at how bad the media integration is. Particularly when I use the car for a lot of short hops doing errands and work stuff. I have to fiddle with the phone way too much.

There should be Watch integration. Come on, my Jeep has that, and they aren't known for super tech.

Siri should let me set climate control, the number one thing I use over cellular in any vehicle, by far. It's hot here in AZ, I like my remote start.

Found something else that's annoying.
USB music - a few hours away - it remembers the track I was playing. Half a day + (not sure the exact circumstances) and it's totally forgotten everything! Play button greyed out. This is why the absence of "resume" is annoying.
When I get in a car I want to drive - what I don't want to do EVERY time is navigate through 1000s of hierarchial folders I've setup. Remembering which file x of 35 I was on. Then fast-forwarding/ rewinding to the point I got to through a 40min file! I've done that before. You listen to 30s then go - no I remember that bit - I'm 5 minutes further in! RESUME is essential!!! Literally saveoff a file name+location + timestamp of the file to a text file - how hard can it be!!! Check if file exists when car turns on. If so play file from timestamp!
My mp3 cd player in my 14yr old Astra could remember where I got to. No problem. Progress is 1 step forward, 2 steps back it seems! What on Earth Tesla?
Also - there isn't even an "eject" button for the USB drive like PC's have. So not even sure it's ok to pull it out when it's little light is on and I want to copy something new.

Last edited:
Waypoints..... and additional streaming video and audio channels....

Would love Sirius to be added in the audio portion.... As for video - Disney+ / Vudu....

But as things look currently - Updates have just about stopped..... Very little in the way of anything is making it's way out to cars recently..

We are still getting branched updates to the week 4 release.... We are currently in week 17...
maybe when the car is self-driving and earning us £10000 a year as a Taxi (yeah right) Elon can redeploy the 100s of software engineers back to our "nags" ;-)

• Disagree
Reactions: kayak1
Found something else that's annoying.
USB music - a few hours away - it remembers the track I was playing. Half a day + (not sure the exact circumstances) and it's totally forgotten everything! Play button greyed out. This is why the absence of "resume" is annoying.
When I get in a car I want to drive - what I don't want to do EVERY time is navigate through 1000s of hierarchial folders I've setup. Remembering which file x of 35 I was on. Then fast-forwarding/ rewinding to the point I got to through a 40min file! I've done that before. You listen to 30s then go - no I remember that bit - I'm 5 minutes further in! RESUME is essential!!! Literally saveoff a file name+location + timestamp of the file to a text file - how hard can it be!!! Check if file exists when car turns on. If so play file from timestamp!
My mp3 cd player in my 14yr old Astra could remember where I got to. No problem. Progress is 1 step forward, 2 steps back it seems! What on Earth Tesla?
Also - there isn't even an "eject" button for the USB drive like PC's have. So not even sure it's ok to pull it out when it's little light is on and I want to copy something new.

I think you need some more exclamation points in there, like this (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Playback from a phone never resumes automatically. Sometimes you can hit play on the car display, sometimes you have to find the media on the phone again. Crazy. They need to just adopt CarPlay.
I can imagine from a phone it's more complicated. And as it is at the moment it's the phone driving the music right, and the car controlling the phone?
But when it's a USB stick in the car - it's physically part of the car. It can surely resume a song playing from where it got to by recording file path+name + timepoint when locking the car.

Found a great solution to the "weak" USB-C connector for USB-stick music.
A ebay seller "snakewang2005" sells a USB-C female to USB-C male 90 degree up/down connector. I fitted this in the "90 degree down" position. I thought I'd have to prop it to stop it bending - but actually the USB stick rests perfectly against the carpet!!! So anything dropped on it shouldn't snap the USB stick as it's now braced against the USB connection and the carpet!!!
The item is called "Right Angle 90 Degree USB 3.1 Type C Male to Female USB C Converter Adapter" and costs £2.69 from snakewang2005
Compare the below photo to my original where the "weak" USB-C connected stick stuck out really far and looked vulnerable to anything catching it (hands, mask strings, keys, phones, cables, etc).
Personally stopped using eBay long ago, but similar items can be found easily on Amazon (not that Amazon is much better though)
Cellularize USB C Up & Down Adapter (2 Pack) (This is just the first one I found - there may be more)

Mini-rant The USB-C connector port was a stupid change! 1st. 2 ports in the glove compartment would be better. Dashcam + USB-Music. Seeing as it's in this compartment. It sticks out and looks incredibly weak vs a "normal" USB connector (see photo below). Most phones come with a USB-C end on the phone and a USB "normal" end on the charge end - so why on Earth did you change it to this small plug Tesla! I now have a USB memory stick that looks like it's going to snap whenever I put anything in that drawer. Tesla it should be nearer each edge.
Oh - and I don't have/want a wireless phone! Can I not have a hole in the bottom middle of the phone cradle to thread a USB cable through please!
Siri / Android-auto please!
Why don't you just partition your glove compartment drive so it can handle Dashcam + USB Music?

Reactions: RNHurt
One thing I would like is slightly bigger window modification bars (e.g. pulling the audio window up or down, pulling nav directions up and down, etc.) I have big fingers and I'd prefer not to have to use surgical precision just to do those things. Perhaps a larger circle on the top left of the windows to modify them. That'd be great.

Oh, and also if you give a seatbelt warning due to items or a dog or whatever in the passenger seat, even if the trigger for the alarm is short-lived, keep the warning/icon on the screen long enough for us to change it. So many times I have groceries or a dog in a seat and the seatbelt warning comes up for about one second and disappears on the screen before I can do anything about it. The intermittent annoying warning the entire drive is very annoying.

Reactions: hcdavis3
One thing I would like is slightly bigger window modification bars (e.g. pulling the audio window up or down, pulling nav directions up and down, etc.) I have big fingers and I'd prefer not to have to use surgical precision just to do those things. Perhaps a larger circle on the top left of the windows to modify them. That'd be great.
At least with the audio, if you touch (without the need for surgical precision) the place where the album art would be (or is in streaming modes - I am 99.9% USB audio), it brings up the audio controller to half-screen (from mini player) then another tap to full screen and finally another tap to mini player.

Reactions: DblOSmith
I'd like several things that shouldn't be too hard to implement at all:
1. Blind spot camera for the appropriate side activating with the turn signals
2. Add 3, 5, and 7 blink for the one-touch 'Euro turn-signal', rather than just 3. Or at least change it to 5.
3. Add MANUAL intermittent wipers.
4. Add different reverse signals, rather than just the 'space howling'. Ha ha. And an 'off' setting would be great, unless it's something mandated just for EVs, which wouldn't make sense, since my ICE cars are just as quiet when reversing, and they don't have that crap.

I had a fifth, but forgot what it was. Ha ha. Hope Tesla is reading this thread :).

Reactions: dp0307 and hcdavis3