Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12500 mile Service, loaner car observation, and test drove a model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took in my car to do my 12500 mile service today and to also look at some of the autopilot issues I was having (Lost Autopilot and other functionality :()

Anyway, I got my first chance to test drive a model X and have to saw wow, that front windshield was amazing. And love the white ventilated seats that were with it. I could have seen myself debating a lot on which of the two models to get if it was out when I bought my model S.

I ended up taking an older model S (non autopilot) loaner back home with me and noticed a few things:

I noticed that it had the old central dash display (big circle in middle with mph on left, energy consumption on right). It seemed that for regenerative braking, it actually went as high as 60kw (whereas in my car it looked like it was capped at 50kw). Do you think there actually is a difference in the amount of regenerative power between the two models, or is this just different way to display it.

It was very confusing to have the cruise stalk in a different position as whenever I tried to turn on the turn signal I ended up instead using the cruise speed lever. My old mercedes actually had the cruise stalk high in this older model S position and I actually would have preferred it in mine) but after driving my car for awhile it was hard to retrain myself to the new positions. I'm not sure why in the newer models that put the cruise stalk in a lower position close to the turn signal.

Even though it was not on valet mode, there had to be some speed limitation set on my loaner. I was trying to overtake someone on the interstate, but it basically would not go above 82 mph (and it was incredibly slow acceleration from 79 to 82 mph).

Took in my car to do my 12500 mile service today and to also look at some of the autopilot issues I was having (Lost Autopilot and other functionality :()

Anyway, I got my first chance to test drive a model X and have to saw wow, that front windshield was amazing. And love the white ventilated seats that were with it. I could have seen myself debating a lot on which of the two models to get if it was out when I bought my model S.

I ended up taking an older model S (non autopilot) loaner back home with me and noticed a few things:

I noticed that it had the old central dash display (big circle in middle with mph on left, energy consumption on right). It seemed that for regenerative braking, it actually went as high as 60kw (whereas in my car it looked like it was capped at 50kw). Do you think there actually is a difference in the amount of regenerative power between the two models, or is this just different way to display it.

It was very confusing to have the cruise stalk in a different position as whenever I tried to turn on the turn signal I ended up instead using the cruise speed lever. My old mercedes actually had the cruise stalk high in this older model S position and I actually would have preferred it in mine) but after driving my car for awhile it was hard to retrain myself to the new positions. I'm not sure why in the newer models that put the cruise stalk in a lower position close to the turn signal.

Even though it was not on valet mode, there had to be some speed limitation set on my loaner. I was trying to overtake someone on the interstate, but it basically would not go above 82 mph (and it was incredibly slow acceleration from 79 to 82 mph).
I believe there is some software lock to prevent people from abusing loaner cars. I remember reading a thread where the owner purchased an inventory vehicle and have to call tesla to unlock the car because it would not go faster than 85mph or so.