Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone contacts and iOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else has this issue and if you were able to find a solution:

I have a number of different Contact "groups" on my iPhone.

When opening up Contacts in my Model 3 - it appears that it has only synced 1 specific group.
And it's not even the first alphabetically.

On my phone I have all groups selected (ie: I can see my entire contact list).

Does anyone else's exhibit this behaviour? I'm wondering if it's an iPhone issue, Bluetooth issue or Tesla issue.

That seems an odd issue, is it the standard Contacts group that is shown?
On my model S I just have the opposite situation. On my iPhone I selected to show only 1 Group of the 8 Contact groups I have. On the iPhone it works OK, I only see those contacts from the selected group. But then on the model S, I again see all the contacts form all 8 groups, despites the iPhone is set to use only 1 group. They are all sorted alphabetic, but I don't want to see them all in the car, just those from the selected group.
My contacts are synced from an Office 365 account.
I'm wonder If someone has a solution?

I see it now, thanks. There I have a switch for Sync Contacts and also I'm able to check under Groups; Phone favorites, Phone recent and All contacts.
Everything was ON, now I just disable the check on All contacts, and it looks I have no more contacts now in the car.
It is not clear what these settings do: the switch for Sync Contacts and the check for All contacts. I thought with the first ON and the second OFF, I would get just my default Contacts group and not all the other Contact groups I have? But now I have none, or maybe I just have to wait longer than 3 min before the new sync setting is finished?

I see it now, thanks. There I have a switch for Sync Contacts and also I'm able to check under Groups; Phone favorites, Phone recent and All contacts.
Everything was ON, now I just disable the check on All contacts, and it looks I have no more contacts now in the car.
It is not clear what these settings do: the switch for Sync Contacts and the check for All contacts. I thought with the first ON and the second OFF, I would get just my default Contacts group and not all the other Contact groups I have?
You should see any custom groups you have created below "All". "Sync Contacts" switches syncing on/off entirely.
But now I have none, or maybe I just have to wait longer than 3 min before the new sync setting is finished?
Not sure if the car re-syncs automatically if you change the settings on the phone. Try turning contact syncing off and back on in the car (tap BT icon on the screen to get to the settings) or, if that fails, unpairing and re-pairing the phone.

So where do you create your contact groups then? I made mine in Outlook 2016, and all the contacts in these groups are visible in the Tesla, but I can't deselect these groups in the BT settings.
Where are your contacts hosted? AFAIK groups can only be created in iCloud accounts (you can use either the Mac contacts app or the icloud.com web interface to create them). Folders created on Exchange accounts (e.g. corporate accounts) are not the same as groups, even though you can select them under "Groups" in the iPhone contacts app.

Yes my contacts are part of my Office 365 account with Exchange mailbox. Indeed in iCloud I can make contact groups and then these I can select in the iPhone BT sync. But the Exchange contact folders don't show there. But like you said, I do can select these folders on the iPhone to show up or not.
So I think all contacts in all my folders are synced to the iPhone, on the iPhone I can deselect some folders (groups) to be no longer visible (but still they are there). So when I then pair the iPhone to the car, I see all contacts again.
I'm wonder if there is a workaround for this situation?