Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Battery Alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 3 sent me the dreaded 12v battery needs replacement alert today. While I've owned it since April 2019, it only has 13k on the ODO. Batteries should last more than 3 1/2 years. My ICE was bought in late 2014 and has 81k on its ODO and its battery has have no issues.

I put in a ticket and the SC wants me to drive 120 miles to have it replaced. I'm thinking I might just replace it myself. Will gel type batteries work in an EV environment? I've had great experiences with Optima batteries. Just looking for opinions, not to be thrashed.

So my 3 sent me the dreaded 12v battery needs replacement alert today. While I've owned it since April 2019, it only has 13k on the ODO. Batteries should last more than 3 1/2 years. My ICE was bought in late 2014 and has 81k on its ODO and its battery has have no issues.

I put in a ticket and the SC wants me to drive 120 miles to have it replaced. I'm thinking I might just replace it myself. Will gel type batteries work in an EV environment? I've had great experiences with Optima batteries. Just looking for opinions, not to be thrashed.
The Tesla battery is a totally different battery than an ICE battery. It does not have a starter to crank. It only has to power up computers and close the HV battery contactor, so is much smaller in both size and power. Either way, batteries today have an average life of 3-5 years. Your lack of use is worse for battery life than constant use.

The battery diagnostics are based on the characteristics of the Tesla battery. If you use a non-Tesla battery, be prepared for false battery notifications.

At 120 miles you should be able to request Mobile Service. Use the app and in the Request Service feature request Mobile Service. They are charging about $145 for installation.

Last edited:
At 120 miles you should be able to request Mobile Service. Use the app and in the Request Service feature request Mobile Service. They are charging about $145 for installation.
Thanks for the input. I would hope that the battery is covered under warranty, under both 4 years and 50k miles
I received an error a few days ago.

Battery.jpg

Thanks for the input. I would hope that the battery is covered under warranty, under both 4 years and 50k miles

I received an error a few days ago.

View attachment 891230
I wasn't suggesting your 12V battery didn't need to be replaced. It was a reference to the exact model of 12V battery used in the Model 3. Sadly, while there are several other group 51R AGM batteries out there, the Atlas OEM battery is by far the cheapest and I haven't found a cheaper source for it than direct from Tesla.

I'd stick to a battery designed for a Tesla, different application than ICE

I really liked Optima batteries years ago. But I have heard that the brand was sold and their recent production is done by a new very cheap manufacturer and quality has dropped way off. So I'd suggest some research before considering buying any of their products again.

I'd stick to a battery designed for a Tesla, different application than ICE

I really liked Optima batteries years ago. But I have heard that the brand was sold and their recent production is done by a new very cheap manufacturer and quality has dropped way off. So I'd suggest some research before considering buying any of their products again.
I liked Optima as well, but at ~$250 for a 51R AGM battery, I'd rather buy ~three OEM batteries, and that's assuming Optima is still good.

So after some back and forth discussions with Tesla, they are sending a ranger out on the 11th. Small victory.

Here's something interesting. Since that alert popped up, my Tesla has been in my garage, nothing running, but I am losing a mile of available range about every 90 minutes.

Here's another error message I'm getting. So it may shut down and I won't be able to start it and they wanted me to (try and) drive to the service center:

VCFRONT a192 Error (01-02-23) Pt1.jpg

So after some back and forth discussions with Tesla, they are sending a ranger out on the 11th. Small victory.

Here's something interesting. Since that alert popped up, my Tesla has been in my garage, nothing running, but I am losing a mile of available range about every 90 minutes.

Here's another error message I'm getting. So it may shut down and I won't be able to start it and they wanted me to (try and) drive to the service center:

View attachment 891875
If you're waking the car up and checking the range every 90 minutes it may be the reason for the range loss!

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I just got this alert today and have mobile service coming out on Thursday. So I take it the car wont leave me stranded and just use the main battery to keep the car alive? I have a 2020 with 38k miles and a little over 2 years.