Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
l have a 12v compressor fridge/freezer that fits into the boot cavity of my M3.
I know that the HV battery charges the small one when needed,but if the car is asleep overnight will it stay charged?
I have done this while driving, with the fridge plugged in to the interior accessory port with no problem. But it sounds like you are planning on connecting directly to the battery terminals. Offhand, i cant recall the capacity of that battery, maybe 60 Amp hours? A compressor fridge small enough to fit in the frunk probably only pulls 3 amps, so it’s unlikely to drain the battery overnight. It’s also possible that your car will throw an error code the next morning, thinking that something is wrong with the battery. Let us know how it goes?

l have a 12v compressor fridge/freezer that fits into the boot cavity of my M3.
I know that the HV battery charges the small one when needed,but if the car is asleep overnight will it stay charged?

The car will wake up and charge the 12V battery from the HV battery when required. So your car will have more phantom drain as it will constantly wake up to charge if there is too much drain. And you'll increase the charge cycles on the 12V battery so shorten it's life.

That said I am assuming this is not a daily practice so not really an issue. I have several devices in my car tapped into the 12V system myself. Blackvue dual channel cameras and a Teltonika automotive wifi router. I've installed kill switches on these so I can disable them when needed. I also changed the 12V battery to an Ohmmu lithium.

When I go glamping in my car I also use a Dometic fridge. I've never had any issues, but the Ohmmu maintains a higher voltage for longer than the stock lead acid does so my car is able to sleep for longer periods of time. I'm one of the lucky ones with the Ohmmu as I have not seen any 12v errors in my car, but some of the newer ones have been throwing faults lately. This is likely just a bug and is currently being resolved by Ohmmu and it looks like the latest Tesla firmware version has resolved that issue for them. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much and just be aware about the car sleeping patterns will change while the 12v is under load.

I have done this while driving, with the fridge plugged in to the interior accessory port with no problem. But it sounds like you are planning on connecting directly to the battery terminals. Offhand, i cant recall the capacity of that battery, maybe 60 Amp hours? A compressor fridge small enough to fit in the frunk probably only pulls 3 amps, so it’s unlikely to drain the battery overnight. It’s also possible that your car will throw an error code the next morning, thinking that something is wrong with the battery. Let us know how it goes?
55 watts
4.5 amps
Fits in boot of M3

Reactions: Misterbee
I would think that if you activate Camp Mode the 12 V feed should remain on.
With the Camp Mode, the air blower is continually running. Do you know how much drain will be lost?

Why not tap directly the battery with a long wire. I noticed that the battery bolts are long enough,
so you can screw a additional Eyelet wire on top of it, without the need to disconnect the 12 V battery.

51Hf9lyS4fL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Webbah: Did you have any problems getting and installing the Ohmmu battery? I have a new car so it's not an issue but I am keeping it in mind for the day that I have to replace the lead acid battery.
I assume that the Ohmmu has some sort of battery management control built in for safety and longevity?

This might be a more complicated solution than you're looking for, but I installed 12v sockets in the boot, running directly from the penthouse 12v terminals under the rear seat. This stays powered as long as sentry mode is on, doesn't throw any errors and will never drain your 12v battery.

Reactions: BenT