Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery replacement: Tesla Li-ion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem with Lithium is it does no like the cold. They get heated by commands from the BMS if so equipped/required. No different than your Tesla main battery. The Lithium will work great in the Tesla as the main battery will take care of the 12v side providing heat and/or charge as required.
Also in hot climate like Arizona, the Lithium is gonna get frIed in the heat. Unlike the Main battery it’s not conditioned !

Yes. Last I checked the price was around $85-$90. I need to check when I'm ready for a new one. Last time they towed and replaced the battery under warranty... They got a tow truck out very quick, but still it was an inconvenience I'd rather not repeat.
How old was your 12V battery when it needed replacement? My car is almost two years old and I'm thinking about having it replaced preventatively. I'm two hours from the nearest service center and don't want it to die on me unexpectedly.

How old was your 12V battery when it needed replacement? My car is almost two years old and I'm thinking about having it replaced preventatively. I'm two hours from the nearest service center and don't want it to die on me unexpectedly.
24 months +/- a few weeks. It died with a strong sulfur smell, so the 12v was perhaps cooked. I’m a bit suspicious of some of the firmware updates around that time, but there is probably no correlation. Will never know.

I’ll probably replace it end of this year too. Or maybe pull it out and take it to a local parts shop for a load test.

As I mentioned either above or in another thread…. If they would have just replaced it via mobile service it would have been super easy. But they said no remote diag, no mobile service replacement.

How do you do that? I don't know how to communicate with the SC. Do you have to stop by and order it?
I was just going to put in a service request to pickup a battery.

Thinking about it, I’ll probably buy the battery at 48 months (24 months on the current battery) and put it on a tender in the garage as a hit spare.

I have a handful of equipment that has SLA batteries and they are on a wemo plug to charge for 6 hours every Sunday morning. I’ll just add it to that.

Reactions: israndy
How do you do that? I don't know how to communicate with the SC. Do you have to stop by and order it?
It depends on the location, Service Center. Covid protocols have made going to the Service Center more difficult. You can open a Service Request via the Tesla app, explain that you would like to purchase the 12V battery. The service department should be able to notify you if the battery is in stock or must be ordered. You may have to pay the invoice in advance using the credit card on file with your Tesla account.

Have you paid in advance? My service center never lets me pay in advance and I always offer.
When I have had my Tesla Model Y serviced, until Tesla determines if the service is a warranty repair, I have had to submit my payment information for the invoice in advance. If Tesla determines that the repair is covered under the vehicle warranty then my credit card is not charged. When order a replacement part I don't know if you are required to submit payment information in advance.

I am having my X battery replaced under warranty. It’s a L/A battery. Will they replace it with the same or a LI battery? If they don’t offer LI replacement under warranty, is it possible to pay for the difference to upgrade to LI? Opinions on the thread seem mixed about LI vs LA batteries. Any updated consensus?!

I am having my X battery replaced under warranty. It’s a L/A battery. Will they replace it with the same or a LI battery? If they don’t offer LI replacement under warranty, is it possible to pay for the difference to upgrade to LI? Opinions on the thread seem mixed about LI vs LA batteries. Any updated consensus?!
Yea its not gonna be a Lithium. That would require a charging system and BMS for lithium. Do you honestly think they are gonna just replace all that just for you?

Tesla will only replace the 12V with the same type of 12V battery as the OE 12V.

Yea, and probably one that's been sitting on the shelf for two years. Check the manufacture date.
Sure, check the date but in all probability the replacement 12V battery is less than 3 months old. Supply chain issues continue to be an issue. Tesla has stated that there is limited availability of the 12V battery so it is not likely that one is just sitting on a shelf gathering dust.

Sure, check the date but in all probability the replacement 12V battery is less than 3 months old. Supply chain issues continue to be an issue. Tesla has stated that there is limited availability of the 12V battery so it is not likely that one is just sitting on a shelf gathering dust.
They tried to pawn off a 2020 Manufacture Date on me 3 months ago. Lead Acid batteries aren't in short supply. With the lead-acids only lasting 4 years, I don't want a 2 year old battery that's just been sitting on a shelf.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe