Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery service warning not clearing after replacing battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does nobody call Tesla support before posting here?

Because phone support is universally an awful experience, and because chat was closed for the night.

hqdefault.jpg

Hey team,

Replaced my battery with a new OEM unit, voltage checks out fine, but warning is still on screen.
Any tricks or tips (i've tried a restart) before I make a service appointment?
I wonder if the charger (400 V to 12 V inverter) is working?

A simple way to test the charger is to put a Voltmeter and to compare the voltage when the car is sleeping and awake.

- When sleeping the voltage should be in the 12 to 13 V range.

- When awake, and charging, the voltage should be in the 14 to 15 V range.

Note: How did you decided to replaced the battery?

Do you think the battery was old
or does the battery was drained and not charged?

I don't know how old is your Model 3 but a 12 V battery should last for a while.
I remember that Model S owners had to replace quite often their 12 V battery but I don't noticed it for the Model 3.

Hey team,

Replaced my battery with a new OEM unit, voltage checks out fine, but warning is still on screen. Any tricks or tips (i've tried a restart) before I make a service appointment?
My presumption would be it is a stored code not an active one and is typically reset when a tech replaced the battery.
Tesla can likely reset it remote or it may self reset after a never of 12volt charge cycles with no fault detected.

I had a glitch on my 12 volt battery. The replace 12 volt battery notice came on. I disconnected the battery and tested it with a load tester, which indicated that the battery was good. I then called my closest service center which is 300 miles away. They ran diagnostics and claimed that the battery needed to be replaced. A mobile service tech came to replace the battery. After replacing the battery, the replace battery notice was still there until he also disconnected the 12 volt dc to dc converter located under the rear seat. So I ended up paying about $130 because I did not know that the converter needs to be disconnected to reset the notice.

I've found Tesla phone support to be pleasant to deal with and usually very helpful. They can pull logs from your car to see exactly what is going on.
I've found it is something of a crapshoot. After-hours especially it can be a bear to penetrate the system to talk to an actual human rather than getting an automated "use your App to set up an appointment".

If you can get through to a human, though, I haven't been disappointed.

So i set off quite a few warning installing my stereo system and doing the hard reset by disconnecting the 12v neg and the quick disconnect off the penthouse under the seat cleared them everytime. Once that warning that the battery was bad pops up the dc-dc never cuts back on to protect itself till its reset.

i had somehow run down the 12v batt by powering the car down while working on it low enough that it thought the battery was bad and wouldnt charge it, put a charger on it to bring it back up, did the reset, and everything was ok.

....After replacing the battery,
the replace battery notice was still there until he also disconnected the 12 volt dc to dc converter located under the rear seat.
So I ended up paying about $130 because I did not know that the converter needs to be disconnected to reset the notice.
Do you know how to perform a full reset (not just the display reset)?
I read a thread explaining on how to do it but I was not able to find it.

I had the same problem that "12v battery must be replaced soon" warning wouldn't go away on my Tesla Model X. I called Tesla support and they couldn't clear my error. Their soft or hard reset wouldn't work. They noted this on my service appointment.

Luckily I read this post and changed wheel configuration to force a dc to dc deep reset. After the reset, the "12v battery must be replaced soon" warning disappeared. Then I changed my wheel configuration back to original.

How do clear "replace 12v battery" warning?

Hey team,

Replaced my battery with a new OEM unit, voltage checks out fine, but warning is still on screen. Any tricks or tips (i've tried a restart) before I make a service appointment?
Had the same issue and this is how I cleared the messages. First disconnect the high voltage connector located under the passenger side rear seat. Second power down the computer (under Safety at the bottom of the screen…you need to scroll down). Third disconnect your low voltage battery (12v)…instructions for getting to it can be easily found. Lastly wait awhile..not sure how long but I waited 12 minutes. It may only take 30 seconds but I waited just to be sure. Reconnect LV battery then HV battery. Error messages should be gone.