Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Switched?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Red wire in right VC switches off when weight is removed from driver's seat and car is locked. Sentry mode does not affect the power status. Its off when the car is "unoccupied", on when it is.
I read through again and see where there's still some question as to if it's the same wire as the amp in the trunk given people report the amp wire stays on.

Lets say the small wire in the lower passeneger side bundle is on/off with driver side seat occupancy / initial brake use since there's multiple reports of that being the behavior, but not call it vc right or amp wire since it's not fully clear if it's either/that those are the same wires.

Also, annoying I can't go back to edit.

Alright tested it and agree. Power is on whenever the car is ready to drive aka in seat and hit brake pedal, aka whenever the car auto switches from easy entry to a drive profile.

I'm fairly certain this it NOT the same wire as the amp wire or VC right connector but is something else.

Nearby threaded chassis whole is an m6x1.0, you want ~10mm length to use this as a ground.

Reactions: Futaba
I have a 2021 Model Y and I finally hardwired my radar using a the trailer brake connection on the driver's side. The radar turns off when the car goes to sleep and turns on when i open the door. It took me about 20 minutes for the whole thing. I did not have to splice any wires. I just bought the trailer adapter from a tesla service center for $4 and connected to that.

The thread below helped me.

I have a 2021 Model Y and I finally hardwired my radar using a the trailer brake connection on the driver's side. The radar turns off when the car goes to sleep and turns on when i open the door. It took me about 20 minutes for the whole thing. I did not have to splice any wires. I just bought the trailer adapter from a tesla service center for $4 and connected to that.

The thread below helped me.

Does the Model 3 have this trailer brake connection?

I just reached out to Tesla support to confirm for the model 3. If there is this option, that would be huge! I've put off installing my radar detector because of seemingly difficult options to hardwire in, so we will see what they come back. I'll be sure to report back what they say.

Reactions: rlb4
Sorry I haven't read through all 9 pages of this thread, but i saw that in the 2021 Model 3, there are 3 red wires in this area, and it's the "middle" sized red one, can anyone confirm?
Mine had two right on top and was the smaller of the 2. There's an 18 gauge ish wire but I would call that pink not red. It's different shade from the other 2

I just reached out to Tesla support to confirm for the model 3. If there is this option, that would be huge! I've put off installing my radar detector because of seemingly difficult options to hardwire in, so we will see what they come back. I'll be sure to report back what they say.

Tesla stated that it is not compatible with the model 3 but I’m pushing the subject. Has anyone checked to see if we have the connection there?

Tesla stated that it is not compatible with the model 3 but I’m pushing the subject. Has anyone checked to see if we have the connection there?

@DMan918 did you hear back from Tesla? Thanks.

@DMan918 did you hear back from Tesla? Thanks.
They left it that the part isn’t for a model 3. I didn’t listen so I just bought it on Friday. Im out of town for a week so I’ll try to connect and test when I get back.

FYI it was a pain to buy Bc they can’t use your account for it. They basicallly had to charge someone else’s account and I had to pay cash. Credit card would deny because it didn’t match account.

Reactions: Futaba
Alright tested it and agree. Power is on whenever the car is ready to drive aka in seat and hit brake pedal, aka whenever the car auto switches from easy entry to a drive profile.

I'm fairly certain this it NOT the same wire as the amp wire or VC right connector but is something else.

Nearby threaded chassis whole is an m6x1.0, you want ~10mm length to use this as a ground.

@xepa thanks for confirming and the addition screw size for the ground!

From the YouTube video I took a screenshot, and props to another poster here who stated it was the smaller of the 2 red wires.

Multimeter ground in the threaded hole (there is no bolt here, there are 2 spots like this), and pos in the wire you just tagged.

Closed all the doors, opened the drivers door, sat on the seat, hit the brake and Bob's your Uncle 12V.

Passenger Kick for the VCRight (Thinner of the 2 Red wires -- See photo) I had a bolt that would screw into one of the threaded holes for ground.

Turns on when I sit in the drivers seat and hit the break. Shuts off when I get out of the drivers seat.

@m1xmstr thanks for the instruction! It works perfectly.

Here are the pictures I took during my setup.

1635720849563.png

1635720289668.png

1635720581840.png

1635720607258.png

Attachments

• 1635720670628.png
    1635720670628.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 195
  • 1635720527964.png
    1635720527964.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 178
  • 1635720496814.png
    1635720496814.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 207
Hi all. Despite the helpful photos and instructions I’m having trouble locating the correct red wire. There are at least 6 red wires that I can count. Two larger ones (slightly more orange in hue than the other reds) and the several thin ones that I’d be a little nervous to tap. I assumed it was the thinner of the larger two red wires, but when I tapped it and tested with a multimeter (while someone was in the driver’s seat and the brake had been pressed), I did not get 12v.

In the photos below you can see one individual wire wrapped with electrical tape. That’s the one I attempted to tap. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DDA84596-8B93-4AA6-BF2E-4B6A6344097B.jpeg
    DDA84596-8B93-4AA6-BF2E-4B6A6344097B.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 211
  • D17A12B9-ADB9-4244-9F4D-574D4EE2865F.jpeg
    D17A12B9-ADB9-4244-9F4D-574D4EE2865F.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 273
Hi all. Despite the helpful photos and instructions I’m having trouble locating the correct red wire. There are at least 6 red wires that I can count. Two larger ones (slightly more orange in hue than the other reds) and the several thin ones that I’d be a little nervous to tap. I assumed it was the thinner of the larger two red wires, but when I tapped it and tested with a multimeter (while someone was in the driver’s seat and the brake had been pressed), I did not get 12v.

In the photos below you can see one individual wire wrapped with electrical tape. That’s the one I attempted to tap. Any help would be appreciated.
I just completed my V1 gen2 install and can confirm that the red wire in the smaller bundle running from the larger bundle towards the frunk is switched. I’m attaching a pic, photo credit to Obsessed Garage’s how to on YouTube. Car is a ‘22 M3P just built last month.

Attachments

• 811543F4-6E64-4B46-9BC3-4D4EB416B598.jpeg
    811543F4-6E64-4B46-9BC3-4D4EB416B598.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 294

A little late here but if you haven't gotten it figured out yet I have a slightly different method of getting switched power that is much easier to connect to the right wire. You can find the tutorial here:

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I came here to say thank you and to the others who contributed to this thread. I wasn't able to find a switched 12v that would switch off until the car went to sleep - seems a common problem I wasn't aware of. This relay and the way you wired it, worked perfectly for me.

I did make a slight alteration on mine as I installed and housed it in the center console:
  • Bottom-Left: Ground (negative wire from the cig socket and grounded my device on this too)
  • Bottom-Right: Positive wire (IRRC this was brown too) from the footwell light (I installed rear footwells so it was easy for me to use this connection
  • Top-Right: Blue accessory wire
  • Top-Left: Your equipment
Worked flawlessly - I hope this helps reassures someone who comes across this as I did.
Has anyone noticed any change in behavior since a software update (2021.44.30.11)

My 'equipment' (ambient light kit) have now started to dim/ flash when in gear only, video here

Reactions: Demented_Y
Sold my SR+ I originally did all the work on and got a 22 LR, no clue when ill get around to messing with it. My SR+ didnt have the footwell lights but did they always dim when you put it into drive like it does on my LR.

Its that or wherever you are getting constant 12v is dropping when you place it into drive.