Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v System Failure While Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is BAD news GOOD news story given the quickness of the failure and circumstances the owner had to deal with. When we travel we carry a small A23 12V battery with us (my wife carries it in her purse) should we need to get to the jump start wires located behind the tow hook cap to at least unlock the car. Still looking for a temp place to stow it on the exterior, but it's small enough to carry in a pocket. This is the USAF in me.

I had the same thing happen to my MYLR 6 days after taking delivery. Our car broke down 100 miles from home. When we went to get back into it, the car wouldn't start. Same warnings as you. They towed the car to a dealer that was only a couple of miles away. After that everything was a pure nightmare. Even though roadside assistance said the dealer would work on the car, when we got there they were reluctant to do so. They wanted to give us Uber credits to get home. Ultimately, they did try to swap out the 12v but it didn't work and they gave us a loaner. It took a week to replace the Power Conversion System. It was very difficult to get information from the repair shop or to get any support from Tesla. My feeling at the end is that Elon Musk has imprinted his personality disorder on the entire company. Tesla did exactly nothing to make the situation easier/better. All of that being said, we love our new Model Y. The only comfort was that in searching for Power Conversion System failures, I could not find much discussion. I'm glad that not many people are having to deal with this.

is PCS the system for DC to DC power converter?
It's not listed in the owner's manual that I could find. If someone has a more thorough understanding please feel free to correct.

The PCS is an LRU that sits on the main battery. Primary functions are to convert AC to DC for charging and 400v>12v for the 12v bus. It's modular in that there are a couple of subsystems that make up the PCS but the entire system is contained inside one singular LRU.

@Rice&Curry

Reactions: boingolover
It's not listed in the owner's manual that I could find. If someone has a more thorough understanding please feel free to correct.

The PCS is an LRU that sits on the main battery. Primary functions are to convert AC to DC for charging and 400v>12v for the 12v bus. It's modular in that there are a couple of subsystems that make up the PCS but the entire system is contained inside one singular LRU.

@Rice&Curry
This might be detailed in the Tesla parts catalog: Parts Catalog

You should be able to log in, search the catalog using your Tesla account credentials.

• Informative
Reactions: boingolover
I had the same thing happen to my MYLR 6 days after taking delivery. Our car broke down 100 miles from home. When we went to get back into it, the car wouldn't start. Same warnings as you. They towed the car to a dealer that was only a couple of miles away. After that everything was a pure nightmare. Even though roadside assistance said the dealer would work on the car, when we got there they were reluctant to do so. They wanted to give us Uber credits to get home. Ultimately, they did try to swap out the 12v but it didn't work and they gave us a loaner. It took a week to replace the Power Conversion System. It was very difficult to get information from the repair shop or to get any support from Tesla. My feeling at the end is that Elon Musk has imprinted his personality disorder on the entire company. Tesla did exactly nothing to make the situation easier/better. All of that being said, we love our new Model Y. The only comfort was that in searching for Power Conversion System failures, I could not find much discussion. I'm glad that not many people are having to deal with this.
The worrying thing is why is a new vehicle facing such problems- is the internal QC of the LRU's and other subsystems so poor that they are entering the production line? Much as I love Tesla cars, I am really getting concerned that they may be cutting corners as they scale up production to keep Wall Street happy.

The worrying thing is why is a new vehicle facing such problems- is the internal QC of the LRU's and other subsystems so poor that they are entering the production line? Much as I love Tesla cars, I am really getting concerned that they may be cutting corners as they scale up production to keep Wall Street happy.
I agree with you to a point, but every vehicle will have some failures. And a lot of times with electronics, it will fail early if it's going to fail. I think the main thing to pay attention to is what the manufacturer does when it fails.

I have a 2018 Model 3 LR and the PCS failed last week. The tow to a service center was $500 and the repair bill is $1700 ($1100 parts, $500 labor). The part is boingolover mentioned above -- ASY,Power Conversion System,PCS,48A-CD,1PH (1135558-04-A)

I have a 2018 Model 3 LR and the PCS failed last week. The tow to a service center was $500 and the repair bill is $1700 ($1100 parts, $500 labor). The part is boingolover mentioned above -- ASY,Power Conversion System,PCS,48A-CD,1PH (1135558-04-A)
I have MY end of Q3 2021 release. The car died 2 times when not connected to charger for more than 3 days. When screen is dead, the car can still open. Connecting to charger wakes it up. Is it 12v battery or PCS