Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-30 Tesla Adapter to 14-30 30A 125/250V Outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone - Excited to figure this all out; took delivery today!

Also, received my Tesla charging adapter 14-30 24A 250V today. Can I plug into my unused 14-30 30A 125/250V dyer outlet? I have a gas dryer and the plug is not being used and right next to where I park my Model 3.

I tried to plug in to outlet to test; but it won't go in. Is there something in the dyer plug that is preventing me for safety reasons or did I assume/buy the incorrect setup?

Any advice/info is appreciated. Thanks!

If your dryer plug was installed in the last decade it should be a 14-30, and the Tesla adapter should work. In the past, 10-30 receptacles were sometimes installed for dryer plugs. If you post a picture, the dryer plug type can be confirmed.

Went in with confidence and plugged that joker in. Thanks for the info. I am decent with everything around the house except electricity (i can install a fan; but that's about it lol).
IMG_1469.jpg

So I should be good with this set up? Do i need to alert or program the car at all that charge type is changing or it will detect? Thanks again for the info

The short answer: Plug in and don't worry about adjusting settings.

The long answer: The Tesla Mobile Connector and its plugs are designed so that the Mobile Connector knows what amperage the plug/adapter is designed to handle; the information is communicated via a circuit in the plug/adapter. The Mobile Connector can then communicate that information to the car, so that the amperage drawn will max out at whatever the plug is rated to handle. Thus, if you plug into a NEMA 14-30 outlet with Tesla's equipment, the car will try to draw 24A (80% of 30A); if you plug into a NEMA 14-50, the car will try to draw 32A (the Mobile Connector's maximum); if you plug into a NEMA 6-20, the car will try to draw 16A (80% of 20A); and so on. You can adjust the amperage downward from the Tesla's charging screen (say, if you know the plug is mis-wired -- a NEMA 14-50 on a 30A circuit, for instance), but you can't adjust it above what the Mobile Connector thinks the plug can handle. This is all designed to provide you with the maximum charge rate that your electrical circuits can handle, provided they're wired according to code.