Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14 Months of leasing a Tesla, now time to move on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a puzzle, I autopilot for hours on end without issue. My theory is that these reports are from people using it on roads other than motorways, notice the poster shows their location as Aberdeen which is a long way from any motorway.
No. It happens to me commonly on motorways.
Seems to particularly dislike overtaking lorries or going under overpasses…

Reactions: Xdama
Everyone has their reasons, circumstances, needs and wants in life which is all good, and IMO overrides basically everything else BUT....

Paying more to end a lease early (bet the lease company will love you given you're probably digging them out of an equity hole), in order to buy an older Diesel vehicle that may or may not be city-compliant in the next few years, will cost more to run and will depreciate faster than anything else to get essentially, comfy seats.... is certainly an interesting one unless there is some missing context here. I hope you do keep whatever you get forever OP and that it brings you lots of joy otherwise that could be a very costly downgrade to get more "comfy" seats?! o_O

P.S. have you ever sat in the older generation F-Pace or XC60? :eek:

Reactions: KB2022
No. It happens to me commonly on motorways.
Seems to particularly dislike overtaking lorries or going under overpasses…
The difference in experience is significant. I drove from Junction 8 to 42 (Maidenhead to Swansea) and back last weekend entirely on AutoPilot with no issues whatsoever, which is the same as any other journey over the last few years. It's not a specific 'lucky car' as this is my second and AutoPilot drive the same.

Thus I conclude there must be some difference between me/us and folk that have frequent problems.
Me too and this is my second Tesla without any real issues when using Autopilot.

I've always suspected this may be something to do with the particular settings I have chosen for Autopilot, navigation etc - mostly set to give warnings and alerts but not take action. On that basis AP only has very occasional gentle braking events which are easy to counter with the right foot, it slows and moves away smoothly in stop-start traffic and I've become so used to the bong sound when changing lanes that I hardly notice it.

I guess I was fortunate to have tried out FSD/EAP on other family Teslas before I purchased my first & decided that the small benefits but generally over cautious approach would not justify adding either. Basic AP remains very useful and adds to a stress free experience.

(..having said all this, the equivalent on my wife's little Fiat 500e EV is better still - it allows lane changes without disengaging and merely takes back full control once centred in the next lane without audible sounds, slight swerves or any tugging on the wheel. A superb standard feature on the La Prima model).

Reactions: ewoodrick
(..having said all this, the equivalent on my wife's little Fiat 500e EV is better still - it allows lane changes without disengaging and merely takes back full control once centred in the next lane without audible sounds, slight swerves or any tugging on the wheel. A superb standard feature on the La Prima model).
Which seems to cost about the same amount more than the next model down as it would cost to buy EAP, then have fully automatic lane changing.

Which seems to cost about the same amount more than the next model down as it would cost to buy EAP, then have fully automatic lane changing.
I use FSD in the USA & had the 2 week EAP UK trial in 2021. Neither seem to be worth the cost to me, too cautious & also embarrassing when it indicates then aborts part way through. I prefer my own judgement & overtaking manually on both the Tesla and Fiat.

Reactions: CWT3LR
I use FSD in the USA & had the 2 week EAP UK trial in 2021. Neither seem to be worth the cost to me, too cautious & also embarrassing when it indicates then aborts part way through. I prefer my own judgement & overtaking manually on both the Tesla and Fiat.

It's definitely cautious, I'm not sure there's a problem with that. Like many things you become accustomed to how it works with practice and I next to never get any aborts (typically caused by not indicating your presence by apply pressure to the wheel at the point of moving). Once you gain the skill it's then a better driving experience than the Mobileye system in your Fiat and my Leaf for about the same price.

Surprised that deer are rare in Yorkshire. Really common now in Oxfordshire / Bucks / Northants now. Frequently see both live ones on verges and fields and, sadly, dead ones on the road.
West Yorks is higher density population than any of those locations I’d say esp near Leeds / Bradford. Maybe see them out in the sticks a bit but the chances of hitting one are about the same as finding a truthful politician😜

Suggest all you like, ultimately you love your Tesla, I don’t love mine, it really is that simple. I like lovely tactile physical controls you like a tablet. As I said earlier we’re all individual with individual taste, god forbid we all become clones that all like the same thing because the world would be a bloody boring arse place🤣

Reactions: Sean.
Everyone has their reasons, circumstances, needs and wants in life which is all good, and IMO overrides basically everything else BUT....

Paying more to end a lease early (bet the lease company will love you given you're probably digging them out of an equity hole), in order to buy an older Diesel vehicle that may or may not be city-compliant in the next few years, will cost more to run and will depreciate faster than anything else to get essentially, comfy seats.... is certainly an interesting one unless there is some missing context here. I hope you do keep whatever you get forever OP and that it brings you lots of joy otherwise that could be a very costly downgrade to get more "comfy" seats?! o_O

P.S. have you ever sat in the older generation F-Pace or XC60? :eek:
As I already explained the car is leased through my company, due to next contract being Inside IR35 I cannot run a company car (thanks HMRC). Apparently the lease company can’t swap it to a private lease so consequently it’s sort of forced my hand, if I could’ve swapped I would & put up with my dislikes for the remainder.
I drove a 3yr old XC60 recently and sat in a similar aged F-Pace, both seats were better than the M3 imo but I’d say that’s a very personal choice being realistic. Both were real leather though which I’ve had on numerous other cars …..none of which have caused me to need a change of shirt in summer after an hours drive, unlike the plastic ones in the M3🤷🏼‍♂️.
As for driving in shitties (sorry cities), I don’t enter them that often, tend to dislike them intensely as you may have surmised. If I do have the misfortune to have to go in one then I can always use the wife’s Kona E or pay the charge once or twice a year lol.

I apologise profusely to The Teslarati for daring to dislike the M3 after having had the temerity to live with one for over 12months. I clearly have upset some people who are full converts ….. all I can say is I tried but it wasn’t for me, I keep trying olives too but still dislike them after 55yrs on the planet, I’ll keep trying them too, as I probably will another EV in the future. That however is more likely to happen once 1 of 2 things happen.
1/ someone else pays for it ie. Company car
2/ I retire and don’t drive great distances very frequently as I love cruise control just not adaptive cruise. I just don’t want it, at all ……ever but know that we’ll all be forced into having it at some point (like Brexit). Hopefully by the time that comes around I’ll be very close to hanging up my driving gloves and letting my missus chauffeur me though🤣

Suggest all you like, ultimately you love your Tesla, I don’t love mine, it really is that simple. I like lovely tactile physical controls you like a tablet. As I said earlier we’re all individual with individual taste, god forbid we all become clones that all like the same thing because the world would be a bloody boring arse place🤣
Fair play indeed. Good luck with the next vehicle 👍

Reactions: Xdama
So after 14mths of leasing an M3 through the business I have decided to hand it back. Several reasons but an opportunity has come up which makes it a no brainer even with the early hand back charge. It has been a definite love hate relationship for me personally although I can understand why others love them, for me they’re just not “all that”.

Be sure to update this thread when you come back.

As I already explained the car is leased through my company, due to next contract being Inside IR35 I cannot run a company car (thanks HMRC). Apparently the lease company can’t swap it to a private lease so consequently it’s sort of forced my hand, if I could’ve swapped I would & put up with my dislikes for the remainder.

I’ve not been involved with IR35 since when it was first introduced so things may have changed but I have worked both in and out of IR35.

That was a long time ago but I don’t think IR35 is the total blocker. Where there is a will there is a way. IR35 is simply down to what tax you pay not how you spend your company money. It may not be as tax efficient, but as long as you pay the tax according to IR35 rules, there is nothing stopping the financing of a vehicle. If the company doesn’t have the cash in the company to pay for the vehicle then that should be able to be funded by directors loan. You will then be a creditor to the company until that loan is repaid, or never, depending on future direction of company. It’s not as lucrative as company purchase and you certainly wouldn’t want to do it that way as normal method and company will likely make a loss for the period, but if you already have then plan in place it may still be a short/medium term alternative to jacking in your current finance arrangements.

Plan is to use this as a stepping stone back to a permie job anyway. Contracting isn’t what it was when I started, rates have dropped consistently. Consequently I’m now in a position of sod working away from home, I may as well be home more. It also means keeping the company ticking over rather than freezing it so more expense there, I think. You’ve certainly given me some questions to ask my accountant though lol.