Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1400 estimate to replace passenger side mirror?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s a LOT of labor for a claim like this, and I think some of that seem to be possibly paint shop, for blending etc of the new mirror.. either it comes stock and gets painted or it comes painted and gets blended, and then clear coated.

Just to be clear, blending is what you do to adjacent panels. You paint the new panel with the best color match and then you blend adjacent panels by painting the parts of the panel closest to the newly painted panel and blend so the further away you get, the more of the original adjacent panels paint is visible. You then reclear the entire adjacent panel.

There is no blending with bumpers, mirrors, spoilers, or other external attachments. Insurance industry standard is to only blend adjacent body panel of body panels being repaired.

A good touch up guy that does two stage urethane paint can paint your skull cap for $50 but if you go that route and it isn't someone you've used and trusted in the past, you must have them show you that they're using real two part epoxy and not a single stage that will just come off with any solvent.

Just to be clear, blending is what you do to adjacent panels. You paint the new panel with the best color match and then you blend adjacent panels by painting the parts of the panel closest to the newly painted panel and blend so the further away you get, the more of the original adjacent panels paint is visible. You then reclear the entire adjacent panel.

There is no blending with bumpers, mirrors, spoilers, or other external attachments. Insurance industry standard is to only blend adjacent body panel of body panels being repaired.

A good touch up guy that does two stage urethane paint can paint your skull cap for $50 but if you go that route and it isn't someone you've used and trusted in the past, you must have them show you that they're using real two part epoxy and not a single stage that will just come off with any solvent.
Interesting. I had “blending” and a charge for it when a real bumper was replaced and painted and there was “blending”.. I guess I always thought it was on the primary replacement part and not the adjacent R/L rear quarter panels, but maybe it was. Or, they just booked the changes and didn’t do a thing.

We had a major storm here, overnight, and it looks like debris hit my passenger side mirror, took it to a local Tesla certified body shop and they gave me a $1400 estimate. Is this a normal price for this? I assume I can just make a comprehensive claim on my insurance, but I don’t know if my rates will go up too much or not because of it so I’m debating out of pocket or insurance also.View attachment 873617
I paid $902 to replace a mirror in April of 2020. Whole new mirror assembly.