Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16 days Model X storage - no charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In December, I will be leaving my X100D in my apartment's underground garage. There is no cell signal, and therefore no communication possible with the car, and no charging station either.
I will be out of town for 16 days.
I am planning to leave the car charged at around 80%, and hoping to find it 16 days later at +/- 40%.
I am basing my calculations on what I measured this week-end. I parked the car at 50% on Saturday around noon, and picked-it up Monday morning around 6am at 45%. That is 5% in 42hours.
16 days being 9.14 x 42h, I am estimating a drop of 46%!
Am I right on my calculations? I would appreciate the community's feedback on this.
I certainly want to avoid to find a seriously discharged battery upon my return, or worse yet, a completely flat one!!

+ Deep reboot the car 1 day before you leave.
+ Turn on Energy Saving, turn off Always Connected.
+ Turn off Smart-Preconditioning.
+ If the garage doesn't hot, turn off Cabin overheat protection.

And don't check your car status frequently. Everytime you open the Tesla app and check the car, it makes the car wake up and consume some energy.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and P85_DA
+ Deep reboot the car 1 day before you leave.
+ Turn on Energy Saving, turn off Always Connected.
+ Turn off Smart-Preconditioning.
+ If the garage doesn't hot, turn off Cabin overheat protection.

And don't check your car status frequently. Everytime you open the Tesla app and check the car, it makes the car wake up and consume some energy.

How do I DEEP reboot?
I don't check my car status since the car is in a dead zone (underground parking), with no cell signal at all.
But let me know about this deep reboot please.

How do I DEEP reboot?
I don't check my car status since the car is in a dead zone (underground parking), with no cell signal at all.
But let me know about this deep reboot please.

You can do the deep - hard reboot by stepping on the brake pedal while holding down the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel.

As poster above mentioned ..start with 90 ..Socal winters aren’t too cold however car may use heater if battery gets too cold ..report back but my money says u lose around 32%;)

We've recently parked our 2018 X at the airport garage during trips.

For a 12 day trip, I enabled range mode, disabled smart preconditioning & overheat protection, and turned off the climate system. We lost only a few miles of range per day.

For a 2 day trip, I kept all settings in our normal mode (range mode off, smart preconditioning off, overheat protection on, climate system on), and lost about 4-5 miles of range per day.

Note that MCU 2 vehicles don't have the display energy savings/always connected settings - only MCU 1 vehicles have those settings. Evidently Tesla did something with the MCU 2 design to reduce power consumption while the vehicle is parked.

For a 16 day trip, try to park inside a structure, so the vehicle won't be in the sun. Use the settings we used for our 12 day trip, to reduce energy consumption as much as possible. Charge your vehicle to 90% (or higher) before leaving home - and you should be OK.

And even if energy loss is greater than expected, the software is supposed to put the vehicle in deep sleep mode should it be at risk of running out of charge.

As long as the car isn't exposed to high/low temperature extremes - parking for 16 days shouldn't be a problem. And based on our experience, we should be able to do long term parking for even longer without being connected for a charge.

Great. Thank you for the feedback.
Anybody with additional information, first hand experience, feel free :)
It's not my firsthand experience, but it's Bjorn Nyland's. He is one of the very early Norwegian Tesla owners. If you can think of any possible topic to investigate or experiment to do with a Tesla car, he has done it and has a video about it. He went away on a trip to Thailand for almost a month (27 days) with his old Model S P85 sitting in winter in Norway in an open air parking garage, and it lost about 1% per day.

He did a follow-up video with his newer Model X in November last year, and it lost 20% in 28 days.

quick question on the range mode: I thought, this mode was actually heating the battery up before a trip, to allow for a more efficient use of the battery capacity. In that case, this would work against lowering battery drain?
Am I confused?

range mode enables several energy savings features:
  • changes the climate system algorithm to reduce energy consumption while the climate system is running
  • more efficient use of the dual motors, to reduce energy usage while driving
  • could turn off the daytime running lights, and possibly other small items using energy
the Smart Preconditioning will turn on the climate system at times when the software believes you normally leave "home"

[This is a copy of what I've posted before]

I have an MX75 and a while ago went on a long (3.5 week) business trip.
I parked my car in a parking building and walked away (I didn't change any settings).
Here is the graph of vampiric energy drain.
Vampiric Drain

As you can see - energy dropped more quickly for the first week, then the car seemed to go
into deeper sleep, except when checking for updates. It could likely have lasted another 6 weeks.

I'm on another business trip, and was hoping to create a similar graph with power saving
settings enabled. Sadly, I couldn't convince my wife not to drive the MX for 3-4 weeks :)

• Informative
Reactions: tangent
Even if the software appears to automatically reduce vampire drain after a week, if you know the vehicle is going to be parked for more than a week, it's prudent to configure the energy savings settings when parking, to give you more confidence there will be enough charge to last.

bets are opened: 32% noted. I am at 46% which I think would be the max.
Anybody else? :)
I'll take 1%, Bob, I mean Drew. What this isn't Price is Right? OK, put me down for 18%.

I recently left my X 75D at DEN airport for 2 weeks. It was technically still summer when I dropped it at the valet (much less expensive than the garage with charger), so I walked away from it wearing shorts and sandals (plus 3 coats, but mostly so I didn't have to pack them). It was a 6 hr drive for me, which also meant about an hour charging in Poncha Springs. Traffic through Denver caused me to reroute around the Denver supercharger and I pulled in with 52 miles left. It probs would have been worth it to pull into the garage and plug in, but I rushed off and made my flight. The next day, I verified the car was still online but down to 48 miles, so I turned off the app and prayed. Last week I landed at 9AM and found my car at 6% confused if that was 8 or 16 miles left, predicting arrival at the supercharger 10 miles away with 1% remaining. It was warning about cold temperatures (37F) degrading performance so I left climate off and set cruise at 45. I backed into the supercharger with 1 mile to spare. It was only then I was relieved enough to see what features the cold weather was restricting, but realized the restrictions were all because I forgot to disable valet mode.

I usually run range mode and everything as I expect to minimize power usage, but a "deep sleep" park button would be great. One thing that annoys me is not being able to turn the 4G radio off. I know when a phone is "searching" in the mountains or a garage it drains the battery pretty fast.