Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16V Lit-Ion Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 Model 3 Performance (production date 7/7/2022) and have verified that the car has a 16Vdc Lit-Ion battery. I opened the frunk and removed the maintenance panel to see the battery.

I saw that some cars have a 12V Lit-Ion battery. Mine is 16V. Does anyone know why Tesla has two Lit-Ion batteries? I assume it is the work to convert the car low voltage consumables from 12V to 16V. The 12V Lit-Ion cars still have the old 12V consumables.

See attached photos.

Attachments

• Lit-Ion Battery.JPEG
    Lit-Ion Battery.JPEG
    316.5 KB · Views: 2,912
  • Lit-Ion Battery1.JPEG
    Lit-Ion Battery1.JPEG
    290.6 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
...I saw that some cars have a 12V Lit-Ion battery...

I don't think Tesla low voltage Lithium batteries have ever been 12V.

It's non-Tesla, third-parties low voltage Lithium batteries that are 12V. These are for older cars with traditional rounded +/- terminals that you can easily access to (easily use a clamp on), not a big special big connector that you can't use a clamp on.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a 2022 Model 3 Performance (production date 7/7/2022) and have verified that the car has a 16Vdc Lit-Ion battery. I opened the frunk and removed the maintenance panel to see the battery.

I saw that some cars have a 12V Lit-Ion battery. Mine is 16V. Does anyone know why Tesla has two Lit-Ion batteries? I assume it is the work to convert the car low voltage consumables from 12V to 16V. The 12V Lit-Ion cars still have the old 12V consumables.

See attached photos.

The factory Li-ion battery is 15.5V. People still call it a 12v but its not. So, no, there isnt two different factory Li-Ion batteries for Model 3, there is only one Factory li-ion battery for model 3 and its the one you have.

I keep specifying "factory" because aftermarket Li-ion batteries are not relevant for this question / discussion.

Any chance Tesla will offer a retrofit for the lead acid battery in pre 2022 cars?

No, virtually zero chance, since its not just a battery. There are multiple connections, and every instance we are aware of having the factory li-ion battery also has the amd ryzen processor. This is sort of like people asking about retrofitting the heat pump into earlier cars.

Virtually zero chance this happens.

Reactions: Rocky_H
No, not even then, cause that has at least "so your sayin theres a chance" of happening at some point in some nebulous future. Retrofiting this battery in older teslas has no chance.
I'll say, there's a chance some intrepid hacker will figure out how to retrofit the new 16V li-ion. Probably will have to be someone who has root on their car.

But I agree there is no chance of Tesla offering a retrofit.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I'll say, there's a chance some intrepid hacker will figure out how to retrofit the new 16V li-ion. Probably will have to be someone who has root on their car.

Yeah, I should have said "by tesla" in that statement, cause I do believe at some point someone will retrofit / hack it in there themselves, along with whatever else that might be needed to do that. I just dont think tesla will ever offer it.

Reactions: smatthew

IMO this would be much like when @wk057 retrofitted AP into a non-AP early Model S, the cost of the upgrade would be far greater than the benefit.

(edited for clarity)