Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I find this a new behaviour in 17.17.4... it seems to move over depending on what the ultrasound sees. If you're driving on a dual carriageway here in the UK, in the right hand lane (i.e there's the road barrier on your right, and you're passing cars that are on your left), the ultrasound sees this, and the car moves away from the barrier - towards the middle of the road (and the cars you're passing). Notably, the car centres itself in the lane if there's a car next to you (i.e you're sandwiched).

The bias away from the barrier is dangerous, and makes for very uncomfortable driving. The problem is that the ultrasounds are slow to pick up cars next to you - and sometimes don't at all... so you end up overtaking VERY close to the cars, and coming up behind them very close - you're almost over the lane line at this point. It does show the bias on the display (the car is rendered very close to the centre line)

I've taken over numerous times because of this - it makes autosteer somewhat useless on dual carriageways with a barrier/wall relatively close to the roadside.

Hopefully they'll be able to figure out the path delimiters using vision, rather than relying on ultrasound, and make a judgement call on whether it's safer to centre in the road, bias away from cars, or away from the barriers, depending on the surrounding road situation.

Complex stuff -- it's moments like this where I ponder if a vision-first system is actually capable of keeping us safe in the interim.

Actually, I find this a new behaviour in 17.17.4... it seems to move over depending on what the ultrasound sees. If you're driving on a dual carriageway here in the UK, in the right hand lane (i.e there's the road barrier on your right, and you're passing cars that are on your left), the ultrasound sees this, and the car moves away from the barrier - towards the middle of the road (and the cars you're passing). Notably, the car centres itself in the lane if there's a car next to you (i.e you're sandwiched).

The bias away from the barrier is dangerous, and makes for very uncomfortable driving. The problem is that the ultrasounds are slow to pick up cars next to you - and sometimes don't at all... so you end up overtaking VERY close to the cars, and coming up behind them very close - you're almost over the lane line at this point. It does show the bias on the display (the car is rendered very close to the centre line)

I've taken over numerous times because of this - it makes autosteer somewhat useless on dual carriageways with a barrier/wall relatively close to the roadside.

Hopefully they'll be able to figure out the path delimiters using vision, rather than relying on ultrasound, and make a judgement call on whether it's safer to centre in the road, bias away from cars, or away from the barriers, depending on the surrounding road situation.

Complex stuff -- it's moments like this where I ponder if a vision-first system is actually capable of keeping us safe in the interim.

100% agree. I hope they fix this soon.

With everyone seeing these biases as different from one owner to the next, I wonder if we will ever see some sort of user customizable settings for them?

I agree that at times it's way to cautious next to barriers. It will even offset on local roads when a curb is on my right to the point where I don't feel comfortable using it.

I find the opposite, sorry. The car moves away from the object that is closest - barrier or car. Certainly not experienced what you are describing.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
On a long drive today at about 78 MPH I kept careful track of the car's behavior vs. my own instincts whenever I passed a large truck. I angled my right mirror down so as to have a good view of the lane lines.

My observation is that I feel things are right when the distance between my vehicle and the one to its right is constant, and is what it would be with another sedan and my Tesla each centered in our own lanes. When the other vehicle is a big truck my gut wants to maintain that distance, and I move a few inches to the left without volition or awareness to compensate for the truck's width. When autosteer is engaged it keeps to the center of the lane even when that means narrowing the distance between my car and an adjacent truck. Absent any actual data it feels to me like the Tesla is veering toward the truck.

I think my behavior is superior to autosteer's, as long as I'm not impinging on the left lane marker, or creating a corresponding problem with a truck on my left. With clearances too short a minor disruption like a gust of wind pushing the trailer toward me could result in contact. Why not give him a wider berth if I can do so safely?

Note that I'm not claiming these observations are applicable to other drivers, though I suspect they are.

IMG_9508.PNG

I'd like my suspension to feel "as smooth as silk".

Hopefully the steering wheel will still make sight corrections since that slight motion allows for easier continuous hand holding without being nagged. If the wheel doesn't move often (like with AP 1) then I have to move the wheel to inform the software that I am holding the wheel.

Reactions: J1mbo
"Smooth as silk" is needed.
I have now tried AP2 17.17.4 on local highways in 80 km/h, 2+2 lanes, where the previous version was limited to 50 km/h.
On most turns it drifts outwards, coming too close for comfort against cars in the adjacent lane or the highway guard rail. Sometimes it can't seem to find the correct lane marker, but believe the edge of the paved road outside the lane marker is the correct limitation. In addition to the jerkiness in turns, I also sometimes get an oscillating effect which is not comfortable.
Need an improvement, fast!

Today in my v8.1 (17.17.4) AP2 Model S 75D in which I did not pay for any AP software options, I was driving up Highway 17 in Santa Cruz Mountains in the left (#1) lane, driving past a tall white van, not at much of a speed difference than it (I'm coming late because I was ill last night and this morning). I was driving calmly in a relatively low amount of traffic.

As with nearly the entirety of the hilly section of 17, I was in a curve. I was nicely oriented in my lane to stay in my lane in the curve as usual, with proper velocity and change of direction, and no changes to how I was driving.

Suddenly, my car gave me two beeps and the steering wheel had a lot of tension and my car was steered somewhat to the right, in the direction of the van in the right (#2) lane. It lasted for about 50 milliseconds. I kept the car in my lane.
  • Can the car steer itself when I'm driving?
  • Can it override my steering?
  • Can I override its overriding of my steering?
  • Can I override its steering?
  • Can a bad firmware (hacker?) override my steering without any counter-override available to me?
  • Did I just experience a buggy emergency steering reaction by the AP2 software which I overrode by steering into the lane I was already properly in?
Subsequent to that, the car continued to make a few other errors. I was not able to read any of the warnings or errors, since I was driving, so I do not know what they said.

I pulled over at the first safe place to do so to report the bug to Tesla and write this post. What else should I do?

Edit: after posting, I saw the top post of this page, and it seems to describe something similar! I realized I left out the detail that there is a barrier in the middle of Hwy 17 now (not when I was born, but now there is). I was very close to the barrier, right where I was supposed to be (there isn't much room on Hwy 17 in most parts). What makes my situation different, though, was I wasn't using autosteer, primarily because I don't have that software feature option bought on my car.

PS, it's a software limited 75D to 60D, but I'm starting to say 75D in discussions of hardware and software where range doesn't matter.

Last edited: