Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those in advanced age who have difficulty playing a DVD

How sad that you're still using DVDs from the old days. I guess 30-year-olds are having trouble adapting to streaming technology.

Seriously, your point is well taken. But it's an illustration of my central point, which is that AP should be easier for people of all ages to use, not harder. When automatic transmissions came along no one had to be taught how to use them. They relieved people of the complications of clutches and gearshifts, and the learning curve was zero...just push the D button and go.

• Funny
Reactions: oktane
Uh, I'm passing like hundreds of cars on the highway in the left lane. I'm just continuously passing cars. So I think I'm OK. 20+ years of driving and no tickets no accidents, nothing. I think I'll keep doing what I do until my car is ready to let me sleep and still get there in one piece.

Also the speed limit is 55mph. If they enforced that there'd be 1 car out of 10000 that doesn't get a ticket. Clearly some laws aren't worth the paper they are written on.

This is probably for another thread, so I apologize for digressing into another subject...

@croman, If they enforced the laws preventing those who inhibit traffic flow by staying in the left lane, then by your decription of your driving habit, despite not speeding, you would have received several traffic citations by now.

Speeding and trying to play road ranger by staying in the left lane are moving violations in many states. Police more often than not choose to look the other way. What the police decide to do does not justify the actions. Both are dangerous.

Google the consequences of sitting in the passing lane or center lanes of a road where others are forced to pass on the right. It's not pretty. You may not be in the accident, but don't be the catalyst for one. Share the road so we can all enjoy less accidents and less traffic.

Update: @croman, That's better...
"If someone comes like bat out of hell behind me, yes, I move out of their way (to the right) but usually I'm the fastest moving car or at least moving close enough that no one cares. I'm not the guy going the same speed as the center lanes while in the fast lane. If I'm in the fast lane, its with a purpose and my 75D is more than capable."​

Last edited:
How sad that you're still using DVDs from the old days. I guess 30-year-olds are having trouble adapting to streaming technology.

Maybe it's your peripheral vision. I'll go ahead and adjust the font ;)....

"For those in advanced age who have difficulty playing a DVD and switching the TV input mode (aunt and grand parents)"
With all this back and forth, I believe we're all trying to say the same thing:

17.17.4 still leaves a lot to be desired as far as Autopilot and other features of the car are concerned.

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and adjust the font

Thanks, Sonny...I could read that even without my monocle.

Actually your point about TVs and DVDs is important to this discussion, all kidding aside. Sometimes technology leads to an increase in usability, such as the DVR replacing the hard-to-program VCR. But in households with sophisticated AV equipment, there is now often only one person who can operate it. The simple act of watching TV or playing music has become a non-intuitive mess of firing up various boxes and changing inputs to match. Despite all the attempts at a universal remote, the best of them (e.g. Harmony) are easily confused. It's not just that your relatives became less competent; it's also that these simple acts became significantly more complex.

The root cause is that the industry evolved without standards, except at the physical interconnect layer. We're heading toward a similar calamity with automated driving. Everyone agrees that the cars are eventually going to have to communicate with each other and negotiate behavior, but each manufacturer has its own approach. Even the language is non-standard: TACC vs ACC; AS vs Lanekeeping, etc.

I do hope that by the time they take my keys away I'll be able to say, "Take me to the senior center" and have a self-driving car pick me up at my door and drive me there while I sit drooling in the backseat. It's a race against time, and I'm not sure we're going to win.

Thanks, Sonny...I could read that even without my monocle.

Actually your point about TVs and DVDs is important to this discussion, all kidding aside. Sometimes technology leads to an increase in usability, such as the DVR replacing the hard-to-program VCR. But in households with sophisticated AV equipment, there is now often only one person who can operate it. The simple act of watching TV or playing music has become a non-intuitive mess of firing up various boxes and changing inputs to match. Despite all the attempts at a universal remote, the best of them (e.g. Harmony) are easily confused. It's not just that your relatives became less competent; it's also that these simple acts became significantly more complex.

The root cause is that the industry evolved without standards, except at the physical interconnect layer. We're heading toward a similar calamity with automated driving. Everyone agrees that the cars are eventually going to have to communicate with each other and negotiate behavior, but each manufacturer has its own approach. Even the language is non-standard: TACC vs ACC; AS vs Lanekeeping, etc.

I do hope that by the time they take my keys away I'll be able to say, "Take me to the senior center" and have a self-driving car pick me up at my door and drive me there while I sit drooling in the backseat. It's a race against time, and I'm not sure we're going to win.

Well said.

Leave it to TMC to turn a new version discussion thread into a full on debate about whether or not autosteer is worthwhile.

I got that feeling so I was trying to get it back on track here...

With all this back and forth, I believe we're all trying to say the same thing:
17.17.4 still leaves a lot to be desired as far as Autopilot and other features of the car are concerned.

New Leave it to TMC to turn a new version discussion thread into a full on debate about whether or not autosteer is worthwhile.

OK, here's something less OT:

Today I had my first opportunity to test the new release. Auto lane changing seemed more responsive. Other than that I saw no material improvement. The car's homicidal impulses on local roads remain. Highway performance is still good but not great. The higher speed thresholds don't seem to be a result of greater competence, just greater confidence in the existing software.

For buyers of EAP we are still a long way from promises kept.

Reactions: oktane
I've only had the update for a couple of days, but I don't really see anything different from 17.11.3 which I was on before other than the increase on the speed limit caps for AS. I don't see any change in how well AS actually works.

For me it is fun to use sometimes because I love technology, but it doesn't really make driving less stressful.

When using AS I still have to worry about (1) whether the car is going to lose track of the lane, (2) whether the car is going to be able to handle the upcoming curve, (3) whether the car is going to hit the car in the lane next to me that has drifted a little into my lane (AS has to try and stay right in the center no matter what), (4) whether I've tugged the wheel recently enough so it knows my hand is still there, etc.

It is nice to have something that continues to watch the road if I take my eyes away for a second to change the music or look back at my one of my kids who is screaming "Daddy!" over and over again.

That's interesting. I know our Blackvue front camera's wifi range is suppose to be 30 feet and that seems to be an accurate range given where we need to stand inside our house to transfer files from it. Haven't looked in the Tesla manual but is there a published range for the Tesla? I know when we have the car parked outside nose closest to the garage door (like for the Blackvue camera) it doesn't have a problem getting the updates.

I don't know if it is a coincidence, but I got in the car when it was backed in and it was on LTE. I told it to manually connect to wifi, and it did but it took a while. I think the wifi antenna is in the driver's side mirror, so if it is pulled in nose first it is much closer to the two wifi access points closest to the garage than if it is backed in, at least in my house.

Still haven't received the update. Did anyone have a trick? Should I restart the consoles?

Do you have a WiFi signal displayed where you park? If not, make sure you're
still connected to your router, or better yet, go into your WiFi settings and "forget" your network, then reconnect to it.

Also, resetting the console will reset both cellular and WiFi. Perhaps something got out of sync, and doing that between "forgetting" and reconnecting to your network is best.

Reactions: cybergates
If you're not thinking while you're behind the wheel, then you're not a very safe driver either.

You probably just jinxed me, but no accidents today so I think I'm doing fine. Driving is basically the most relaxing thing I do and it is completely automatic to me.

If you have to think while driving it must not be second nature to you. That's like saying you have to think when you walk.

Reactions: croman
and let's not forget that affordable broadband isn't available everywhere. I'd much rather pay $1.50 to rent a DVD than pay $20+ to stream it!

Seriously. Plus you didn't have to check whether the licensing agreement to the content you like had run out back in the DVD-by-mail days. Now content disappears and appears with no warning. Streaming is no nirvana.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker