Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" or 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When u lose range due to larger wheel size, is it because of the diameter of the wheel and rotation ? The rotational mass due to the heavier wheel/tires? Would having lighter and larger wheels improve this range loss?

Rotating mass, yeah. So if you put on a lighter wheel and tire combo, even if larger diameter, it could be more efficient.
In the case of the 3, the "Aero" wheels are designed to have less drag, as well, so likely a 19" (or 18") replacement would have more drag. That's not to say someone couldn't come along and design a more efficient wheel, but it's unlikely, particularly because the 3's wheel is (probably/hopefully) designed as a 'system' with the car, not just theoretically aero in a standalone way.

Also, the 18" tires are low rolling resistance and not particularly grippy.

Also, I imagine at the outer limits of tire sidewall, they become less efficient from a rolling resistance standpoint, but that's probably not something you'll run into in the 18 vs 19" comparison.

I don’t like how the rim extends beyond the protection of the tire with the 18’s. Do the 19’s also have this flaw?

Several days ago I saw a new model 3 in Redondo charging with both right side rims badly rashed. I may look for some aftermarket rims if they are all this bad!!
That has to do with the tire more than the rim. If you get a slightly wider tire on that same rim you won't have that issue.

About 10% with the covers on and about 5% with the covers off.

I put the aero covers on to test out the difference over a week, both on a road trip and my regular commute which is 75% freeway at speed. I tried to drive as similarly as possible to my usual style: full stomp on-ramp, 75mph cruise etc. I'm getting 15% better efficiency with the covers on, and Wh/mi numbers lower than I've ever seen before. I averaged 260 Wh/mi over the first 4500 miles without covers on, and 220 Wh/mi with them on. I'm willing to bet that despite my best efforts, some of it is due to subtle driving style changes, but still impressive. Not enough to leave them on, but impressive :)

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
No doubt the 19” look better. I have the 18s. The hub caps are ugly, but the efficiency is hopefully worth the slight eye sore. If I wasn’t a cheapskate, I’d have gotten the 19s.

Have you taken the aero caps off? Some serious sweetness underneath!

MwQQYAKfR06LJeqj3Kh0Yw.jpg

Reactions: Sg911