Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Rims for P3D fit....almost/barely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a test fit with XXR 559, 18-8.5, +35mm offset and the one I got worked on the fronts. Didn't test the back : big mistake

XXR 559

got all 4 with Michelin Cross climate+ mounted up : only 3 of 4 clear! Back left is hitting the caliper. But back right clears! what gives?

Ended up grinding down the little squares on the caliper where the molds must have been down just a teensy bit bigger. Not even into the actual caliper, just the edges of those squares. Guessing that one of my calipers had a tiiiiny bit more metal. Now clears.

Of course in the back there is virtually no clearance. Front has plenty. Overall looks good to go now and the caliper paint that is missing is not visible at all.

20181204_212229.jpg

Rim mounted (looks nice!)

20181204_212242.jpg 20181204_212248.jpg

Caliper we had to grind (slightly) in rear left. Can't tell at all now.

20181204_212301.jpg 20181204_212306.jpg

Caliper that didn't have to have anything done (rear right). Very little clearance

20181204_212320.jpg 20181204_212327.jpg

Front with plenty of clearance

Overall my lesson: fit test on all 4 spots next time!

Did the center bore of the wheel clear the lip (step) on the hub?

How do you like the tires?

Yes, center bore here is 73.1mm and easily clears. I did decide to forgoe centering rings and was told that as long as the proper star pattern was used to torque it would be fine.

We will see only drove a day on them! Road noise seems fine.

:eek:

There's something unnerving about that tight of a clearance between the wheel and caliper.

Lol tell me about it. Tire installer and rim manufacturer say it will be fine...worst case I shave some more off

From the pics it looks like you could grind a little more off. I think they are just casting features.

Absolutely. This rim only barely clipped 2 casting features on one spot (rear left) and we didnt have to go into the actual caliper at all

Curious how that clearance changes with hard driving. Looks like about as close as you can get before contact.
Hopefully those rims are stiff enough to have very little deflection at maximum cornering force. Likely as bad as it would get is a mild scraping.

Curious how that clearance changes with hard driving. Looks like about as close as you can get before contact.
Hopefully those rims are stiff enough to have very little deflection at maximum cornering force. Likely as bad as it would get is a mild scraping.

These are my snow tires for driving up to the mountain to go skiing so no hard cornering planned here! Does mean I will have to be very careful selecting 18" rims for track though

Cool stuff. Was the 0-60 affected at all?

Haven't timed it, likely slightly worse. The snow tire compound isnt really meant for rapid acceleration. It might be better with the lower rotating mass though

Report: 800 miles round trip to mammoth and no problems at all!

i definitely accumulated a good bit of debris in the tires (everything was so dirty when I got back) but no problems that I could detect. No lockups or anything scratching on the inside of the rims. overall quite happy with it!

Report: 800 miles round trip to mammoth and no problems at all!

i definitely accumulated a good bit of debris in the tires (everything was so dirty when I got back) but no problems that I could detect. No lockups or anything scratching on the inside of the rims. overall quite happy with it!

Hey, @Lunares, for these CrossClimates+ tires:

Have you got a handle on how they affected your efficiency? I assume better than the PS4S? I know there are tons of factors which would make it very hard to tell exactly how they did, but wondering if you tried to do a controlled comparison at all on a known route without climate control.

I'm trying to avoid having to get three new sets of 18" rims (one for autocross, one for range/road trips, and one for winter). I'd like to keep it to just two sets! :) So the thought was that I could use the CrossClimates for the summer road trips and for winter as well.

However, I'd want:

1) Similar efficiency to the MXM4s (probably not going to happen...), but failing that MUCH better than the PS4S, which are pretty awful for efficiency but awesome otherwise.

2) Reasonable road noise (quieter than the PS4S would be nice, not that they are bad).

3) Something that will actually work in summer (road trips only - I could run my 20" while in town for most of the miles) and not immediately wear out.

The main issue you might have running the wheels with such a small clearance is having small rocks get caught between the caliper and the rim. This will cause a predictable linear scratch along the entire inside of the rim.

The main issue you might have running the wheels with such a small clearance is having small rocks get caught between the caliper and the rim. This will cause a predictable linear scratch along the entire inside of the rim.

Hasn't happened yet thankfully despite two long drives up the mountain!

Hey, @Lunares, for these CrossClimates+ tires:

Have you got a handle on how they affected your efficiency? I assume better than the PS4S? I know there are tons of factors which would make it very hard to tell exactly how they did, but wondering if you tried to do a controlled comparison at all on a known route without climate control.

I'm trying to avoid having to get three new sets of 18" rims (one for autocross, one for range/road trips, and one for winter). I'd like to keep it to just two sets! :) So the thought was that I could use the CrossClimates for the summer road trips and for winter as well.

However, I'd want:

1) Similar efficiency to the MXM4s (probably not going to happen...), but failing that MUCH better than the PS4S, which are pretty awful for efficiency but awesome otherwise.

2) Reasonable road noise (quieter than the PS4S would be nice, not that they are bad).

3) Something that will actually work in summer (road trips only - I could run my 20" while in town for most of the miles) and not immediately wear out.

My main comparison is my commute, I'm in San Diego so similar weather before and after. The cross climates seem to be giving me better efficiency, but only slightly. No more than a few %. P3D+ is never going to be as efficient as RWD unfortunately.

2. Road noise I would say is slightly worse than the PS4

3. While they are rated to do better in the summer than a true winter tire, you are still going to go through the tread more quickly. I'm going to end with 3 sets of rims (20" for summer, 18" for winter, 18" for xcross). I'm okay with the efficiency hit on any summer driving

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life