Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18650 Winding Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

we try to build a cost model for cylindrical EV-Batteries in one of my university classes. From a manufacturing perspective, the achievable winding speed of cells is going to be an important factor. Therefore: does anyone of you know how long it takes to wind a 18650 jelly roll? Or even better, does anyone of you know how fast those machines wind (in rounds per minute) in general? I know it's not really Tesla's business (yet) but maybe someone of you knows something helpful...

Thank you guys in advance!

I remember watching a video a few years back (can't remember if it was at a Panasonic factory) which showed the winding of a 18650 cell. There were dozens of machines in a line doing the same task. For each cell, it was all over in a few seconds. The assembly of each cell was very quick however I believe the prep work of cell foil takes time. The electrolyte is baked on to the foil beforehand or something and I think this takes the most time, maybe a few hours or even longer. I could be wrong here. I've tried to find that video recently but couldn't. The detailed manufacturing process of these cells seems to very secretive.