Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Gemini or 20" Inductions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used or take-off Induction wheels are not easy to find. I would order the car with them if I had it to do again. You might come out a little ahead of the planets aligned, but the hassle factor is large. (I have bought and sold wheels sets multiple times with my old BMWs, when that was a lot easier.)

What I decided to do is order with Geminis and swap the tires and sensors over to aftermarket wheels that are identical spec to the stocks upon delivery, then sell the Geminis. I ordered the Replica R241 in 19x9.5. I should be all in after selling the Geminis for under a grand and I will retain the comfort and range of 19's.

The Tesla Model Y 20" Induction wheel and tire combo is only slightly heavier than the 19" Gemini wheel and tire. Until recently the lead time for the LRMY with the 19" Gemini wheels was much longer than for the LRMY with the 20" Induction wheels.

One down side of the 20" wheels is that there are fewer choices of all-season and winter tires available in the 20" OE size 255/40-20. For the LRMY some have installed the 20" Uberturbine wheels from the Tesla Model 3, they fit. There are many different aftermarket wheels (18" to 20") to choose from including Replica, TSportline and Martian.

You could do what I did. Get the included 19" wheels and tires and then sell those to get aftermarket wheels and tires of your choosing. I went with a wheel and tire package from Tsportline that I like a lot more than the 20" inductions. It was probably close to or more than $2,000 when all was said and done (I had trouble selling my gemini's for a decent price) but I ended up with wheels I like more and much better tires than those that came with the Model Y at the time.

You could do what I did. Get the included 19" wheels and tires and then sell those to get aftermarket wheels and tires of your choosing. I went with a wheel and tire package from Tsportline that I like a lot more than the 20" inductions. It was probably close to or more than $2,000 when all was said and done (I had trouble selling my gemini's for a decent price) but I ended up with wheels I like more and much better tires than those that came with the Model Y at the time.
This got me curious, so I checked it out… they have a couple wheel styles I really like. But holy crap - the wheel and tire set would be $3,900!

What I decided to do is order with Geminis and swap the tires and sensors over to aftermarket wheels that are identical spec to the stocks upon delivery, then sell the Geminis. I ordered the Replica R241 in 19x9.5. I should be all in after selling the Geminis for under a grand and I will retain the comfort and range of 19's.
How do you like your new wheels?

If you keep an eye out on the Marketplace/Facebook, you could probably pick up an aftermarket set of Model Y wheels for less than $2K. The Inductions and Uberturbines seem to pop up all the time; I picked up a set of forged wheels and tires for $1100. From there, you could likely sell your older wheels and come out ahead really. The TPMS sensors are worth a couple hundred alone.

I am consdering the same thing. How much did the tire shop charge you to switch the tires and TPMS?